• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese drawing style

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Something's been bugging me of late, why do the Japanese draw themselves with such big eyes when they're pretty darn famous for having such small eyes. Heck, there's even little to no distinction between Americans/Europeans and Asians unlike how the black are drawn.

Seriously though, can someone point out any racial difference between the Temna as a Japanese in Monster and all of his german companions?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i've noticed that too. One thing that really bothers me is the way black people are drawn. Alot of them have afros, big noses, and huge fat lips! I know that its somewhat true but still to draw every single one of them like that is annoying. I'm looking at you DRAGON BALL for this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The black thing...is probably based off of old-fashioned depictions of black people. There was a discussion about it...sort of...on this thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15265&highlight=samba I guess I can understand the big lips thing...I dunno, I've always thought of the way that black people are drawn in cartoons as cute and likeable characatures, but that's just me. But I agree that giving everyone an afro just looks silly.

As for big eyes, it's all goes back to the fact that the first anime/manga stlyings were based off of Disney movies, and Disney movies are also famous for big cutsey eyes - Bambi, anyone? Smile But nowasays, I agree that distinction between the races is needed...however, members of other races are seldom featured in anime to begin with. (There are exceptions though.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I've always been told that Disney used the big eyes as an easier and more clear way of depicting emotions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote
EDITED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:25 am; edited 2 times in total
hizel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
Alot of anime characters have eyes that are Japanese-style and look Asian. I f you look at a lot of Jpop singers (who are seen as 'kawaii' a lot of the time) you can see that their eyes (at least the females) are quite a bit rounder than what you would expect. Round eyes are seen as cute, so a lot of anime characers are drawn that way to seem cuter, although not all of them are. In more realistic-looking anime, hardly anyone has the stereotypical big, cute eyes. Anyway, Asian people are slightly famous for having smaller eyes then most, which they do, somewhat, but the big difference is that the corners are smaller and there is a slightly different slant to them a lot of the time.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Personally I always think of it as an artform. This kind of excuses the way that everyone looks the same, however I personally don't care whether or not a person is black, white, or asian. However in Akira all the Japanese characters looked like they were Japanese.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
As for big eyes, it's all goes back to the fact that the first anime/manga stlyings were based off of Disney movies, and Disney movies are also famous for big cutsey eyes - Bambi, anyone? Smile But nowasays, I agree that distinction between the races is needed...however, members of other races are seldom featured in anime to begin with. (There are exceptions though.)

Correct. Osamu Tezuka, widely considered the father of anime, was incredibly influenced by Disney and borrowed the big eyes for his character designs. It's interesting; if you look at other comics from around the time Tezuka was emerging, they are much more reflective of ukiyo-e and other traditional art. Pre-Tetsuwan Atomu animation looked completely different too. (Check out Yoji Kuri and Kihachiro Kawamoto--stunning work.) Because Tezuka was such a mammoth influence, his style was borrowed, recycled, and developed until it became what anime (in general) looks like today. Like Haru said, there are of course exceptions to this, using more realistic, Japanese-looking characters (Junkers Come Here, Jin-Roh, etc).
I find it interesting how this borrowing seems to have come full circle now, with anime-influenced art in recent American television shows and comics. It'll be interesting to see this progression in the future.

Quote:
I've always been told that Disney used the big eyes as an easier and more clear way of depicting emotions.

You know, I've heard that too. I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure it was from reliable source material. It certainly works, doesn't it? Wink

Last edited by Cloe on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's interesting; if you look at other comics from around the time Tezuka was emerging, they are much more relfective of ukiyo-e and other traditional art.

Woah, where can I get a look at this? I love Ukiyo-e, I have a book filled with tons of prints. from the 1600's to the 1800's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1