• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kara no Kyoukai - So deep its shallow - SPOILER THREAD!!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I just finished rewatching the series in chronological order (I saw it the first time around in release order) and frankly it looks like a standard boy likes weird girl->adventures happen->boy ends up with weird girl *happy end*. Am I missing something?
I am not saying its a bad show, it is actually quite enjoyable, but to me it is just a lot of ultraheavy dressing for a regular action romance story. The epilogue, for example, was coma inducing, I was hoping to find out if Aozaki left (she apparently stuck around long enough to fix Shiki's fake hand), if Azaka becomes a full magus, I figure Shiki and Mikiya being together was a given, but we end up with half an hour of talking heads. It is almost as if the writers were desperately trying to prove they were gifting us with transcendental wisdom rather than just a weekend's light entertainment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. I'm sure glad I didn't plunk down $400 for the set - as beautiful as the first seven films are to look at. The uncinematic info dump of the 8th installment reminded me of the final eppie of spoiler[Otogi Zoshi which was basically two dudes sitting on a bench having a really boring conversation.]

Still, I found the movies entertaining enough that if Aniplex ever does cough up a reasonably priced version, I'll probably pony up.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly expecting the epilogue to revolve around spoiler[Mana, Shiki's and Mikiya's daughter], but alas, all I got was a whole bunch of bullshit that Type-Moon tends to pull out in spades.

That said, out of everything Type-Moon has ever released and/or written, I think KnK is their best work by far. For me, anyway, KnK has always been about the atmosphere, rather than plot. I'm sure the hardcore fanbots will write my name down in their death note for this, but Type-Moon in general sucks when writing stories, and really have no godamn clue what they're doing. Compared to everything else, Kara no Kyoukai's plot is fairly standard. Compared to everything else TM has done, it's Shakespeare. But KnK's atmosphere and vibe is second to none, and I think that's what sets this one apart and makes it a worthwhile watching.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
The epilogue, for example, was coma inducing

Oh hell yes. Say hello to Nasu.
I wouldn't agree that the rest of the dressing was too heavy. The characters aren't really your standard fare walking cliches - at least, they managed to avoid looking like that; and the whole talk about "emptiness" is actually okay (up to a certain point where it makes you feel like trying to swallow slow-drying concrete).

I would mostly agree with John Casey - it's all in the art, and the atmosphere (and I would add, some character interactions). Though I thought the fifth movie was by far the best, and had pretty good plot.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
The characters aren't really your standard fare walking cliches - at least, they managed to avoid looking like that

I always thought the lead male was the very personification of a much hated archetype, "worthless male lead". In fact the show is built to appear as a harem show to begin with. I'm never conformtable with those kind of settings.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
I would agree that the 8th movie is a tedious info dumb that when all was said and done didn't contribute much and was disappointing.

Other than that though, no. I don't think it's shallow at all. It's actually fairly sophisticated, and had some interesting complex characters. Maybe not the most complicated thing ever, but it did succeed in thwarting my attempts at prediction multiple times. It also sets a great mood with the excellent Kajiura music and is very well animated. I also wouldn't use the word cliched to describe the movies either.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
i think you guys confused, there is not 8th movie. there are 7 books for 7 movies.

Are you guys talking about Remix: Gate of Seventh Heaven?
that one is just just a review of the first six movies with few new scenes in chronological order 2,4,3,1,5,6.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
There was an 8th film done especially for the BD set that was never released theatrically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1