• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can anybody help me feel at home ?!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Victor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
I've never entered a chat room ever in my life! I want to talk about UFO Baby as I am crazy about it! Is anybody there?
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:17 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the Internet, where it's noon on your side of the world , while our side has night. There's not alot of people, if any at all, that well be awake. Try in the your morning time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Alex K.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
This is not a chat room. This is a discussion board (also known as a message board or a forum). There's a difference. Chat rooms are where you talk to one or more people in real time, where you don't have to worry about grammar or spelling since they probably know what you're saying. Message boards, however, require correct spelling and grammar, as well as discussion-worthy topics. Here, I'll give you some examples:

BAD POST

hey guys its me i like anime lol just like you hey does anybody watch full metal alkmiyst i do its cool ed is hot lol if you like it message me YAAAYYYY

GOOD POST

Hey, guys, I'm sure you're all into anime, since you're here in this forum. My favorite anime is Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a really cool show with an original story. Ed is an awesome character because he gets very emotional at times, and I think that's very realistic. If you too like Fullmetal Alchemist, let's discuss it here.

-----
See the difference? The first one is full of 1337 (leet) speak (the "lol" stuff) and horrible grammar (bad spelling and no punctuation). Also, the topic is terrible. First the guy introduces himself when no one cares who he is and then he rambles about how "cool" and "hot" FMA and Ed are. You can't even tell if he wants to talk about the show or if he was just leaving some random crap. You don't have to be an English major (don't worry so much about grammar and spelling as long as it's not too bad), but don't do like the first example.

And if you want to talk about this UFO Baby thing, make a topic about it, don't put this stuff about "I've never been in a chatroom come on let's talk!" (or go It only makes it look like spam (nonsense), kind of like the first example.

EDIT: Hey, whaddya know, a UFO Baby topic: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15909
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote
It seems you're new here, so you may want to read this page first.

And pay particular attention to this one:

Teh Rules wrote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions, lists and one-liners do not contribute.

Thanks, and welcome.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1