• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do i search al lthe etchii anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidw89

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
Just wondering how i search all those etchii anime/romance etc..

I know some etchii ones (seen):
He is my Master
Love Hina
Green Green TV
Onegai Twin/Teacher
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:54 am Reply with quote
The encyclopedia is your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
And what? Check every single title (currently 5,835) individually? Sorry, no. If your thinking you can run a search, you can't. The encyclopedia fails on this point.

Your best bet is to go to animenfo or anidb and use their genre search functions.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
And what? Check every single title (currently 5,835) individually? Sorry, no. If your thinking you can run a search, you can't. The encyclopedia fails on this point.

Your best bet is to go to animenfo or anidb and use their genre search functions.

I actually requested that particular feature in the suggestion thread, but have yet to see a response.

I don't know why this couldn't easily be done, unless the data model is not properly setup in a normalized way (ie, store catgories of an anime in seperate table, one to many with each encyclopedia item). Would be very easy to implement if that was the case, so I'm assuming the data isn't stored this way. Sad
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
The problem is Dan is currently unhappy with the way the genres/demographics are setup and intends to change the system a little when he gets the time. So putting in a search function at that time would be more appropriate.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
The problem is Dan is currently unhappy with the way the genres/demographics are setup and intends to change the system a little when he gets the time. So putting in a search function at that time would be more appropriate.

Bottom line is changing category names would have absolutely no impact on doing searchs against those categories.

My belief is the entire data model for how things are stored here seriously needs a revamp so we can get these type of features. Almost seems like the developers are dragging there feat because most likley it's real mess right now Smile
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
hentai - meant for perverts

Laughing

Dan42 wrote:
shounen - meant for boys
often focused on action and competition
shoujo - meant for girls
often focused on romance and character relationships
seinen - meant for young men, including older teens
covers roughly the same themes as shounen but with a more mature/realistic/gritty approach
josei - meant for young women, including older teens
covers roughly the same themes as shoujo but with a more mature/realistic/gritty approach

This is WAAAAAYYYY off topic, but I'm curious as to why the wording for young men is different than the wording for young women.

"Shou-" is obviously the "young" meaning part of the first words. Then "-Nen" would obviously mean male, and "-Jo", female.

But with older people, it changes. If we assume "Nen" and "Jo" still specify the sex, then why is "Sei" in different places relative to the sex? Seinen fits in with the previous words' structure, but then wouldn't Josei be Seijo?

I am also unclear as to the meaning of the word Sei. It seems to have different meanings. Nisei means 2nd Generation. But doesn't it also mean 2nd year, like a sophomore/Junior in High school? How does that corrolate to jo and nen to make them older?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they're all thinks that translate into English that directly.
I think nen refers to age and shou to little/few and jo to girl.
So shounen is few years, shoujo is little girl etc.

[edit]should add.. I think that in Japanese, being male dominated, if the gender is not specifically stated then male is implied[/edit]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
But with older people, it changes. If we assume "Nen" and "Jo" still specify the sex, then why is "Sei" in different places relative to the sex? Seinen fits in with the previous words' structure, but then wouldn't Josei be Seijo?

Seijo (聖女)? Are you talking about Jeanne d'Arc or other canonized female? Laughing

Seriously, you can't translate romaji into English in this manner. Note that

1) A kanji character usually has multiple meanings
2) A kanji character usually has two or more pronunciations
3) A romaji pronunciation correlates to dozens of kanji. For example, sei can be one of 46 different kanji in MS Japanese IME, and I'd say there are more not included in the database.

In your case, -nen (年) literally means "year," and derived from it, "age." So shounen means "the young one." As Shiroi Hane said, this phrase itself is not gender specific but refers to male. Although I have nothing to back this, apparently shoujo was created later than shounen.

Bruce Lee wrote:
I am also unclear as to the meaning of the word Sei. It seems to have different meanings. Nisei means 2nd Generation. But doesn't it also mean 2nd year, like a sophomore/Junior in High school? How does that corrolate to jo and nen to make them older?

As I described above. "Sei" is not a word.

seinen (年)
nisei (二)
ninensei (二年)

Got it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:21 am Reply with quote
To add a little bit of language theory, the problem is that Japanese meaning does not depend on sound alone--one has to know how things are written to understand the meaning. Not only can a given sound have dozens of possible kanji, but kanji are also combined into compounds (like the examples above) that create new and sometimes non-intuitive meanings, like shounen = "few years." Some are more obvious, like 死神 [shinigami] = death + god= "Death God", while others, like 無茶 [mucha] have literal meanings distinct from their actual meanings. "Mucha" means "without tea" based on the meanings of the kanji, but the meaing of the word is "pointless, reckless, absurd, random." But that's part of the fun of learning it Very Happy
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
[shinigami] = death + god= "Death God"

Gami is the god part? I thought Kami was god?

IIRC, Ga and Ka are the same symbol, hiragana wise, just with the quotes (ten-ten?). Would that then be the same Kanji just pronounced differently?

My family name is Taniguchi - My father told me it's Valley + Mouth. I know the kanji for mouth that we use is the same as kuchi - the word I learned for mouth. In this case again, ku and gu are similar hiragana symbols.

This leads me to my next Japa-n00b question - are G and K the same/interchangeable?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:24 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
My family name is Taniguchi - My father told me it's Valley + Mouth. I know the kanji for mouth that we use is the same as kuchi - the word I learned for mouth. In this case again, ku and gu are similar hiragana symbols.

This leads me to my next Japa-n00b question - are G and K the same/interchangeable?

My goodness -- you are a Japanese-American and you are asking us? Rolling Eyes

See my old post regarding voiced and unvoiced consonants and the usage of dakuten (濁点).
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

My goodness -- you are a Japanese-American and you are asking us? Rolling Eyes

Actually, I'm only half, and I was raised by my Mom. Most of what I've picked up was through watching Anime. I was just curious, that's all - I do appreciate your help.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
davidw89 wrote:
Just wondering how i search all those etchii anime/romance etc..

*carefully reads every intelligent response above*
Wink Start from the bottom and work your way up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1