• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai 7 Limited Edition Vol.1

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The story bords are nice but kind of hard to understand since they are left untranslated. Good quality paper, too. The DVD insert felt kind of flimsy but has tons of info.The box itself is beautiful and worth the $40.00 on it's own. I haven't watched it so I don't know about content. What do you guys think of it?
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed. I thought that it was a collector box but it came out to be a big box holding the books of story boards.

I have already finished watching it. So far there is nothing special. To me, the idea of spoiler[ a mecha samurai ] is stupid.

I was fooled by the cover arts. The cover arts on the box looks much cooler than the anime itself.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
scorpioEDC wrote:
I was fooled by the cover arts. The cover arts on the box looks much cooler than the anime itself.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I saw the preview trailer for Samurai 7 on the Gunslinger Girl DVDs and the animation style didn't really appeal to me. The mixing of 3D animation with 2D animation just wasn't as smooth as it is in some other titles (GITS: SAC, for example).
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
scorpioEDC wrote:
Disappointed. To me, the idea of spoiler[ a mecha samurai ] is stupid.

Thats not much of a spoiler for the series and aren't gundam designs based on samurai armour? So wouldn't you call gundams stupid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I believe that the series will be released in both limited and standard forms. DVD 2 and 3 already have rather expensive limited editions planned, so the limited versions will eventually take up some shelf space. I did like what Bandai did with the special editions of .hack and GITS (disposable outer box and really nice artboxes) but will wait and see if Funimation does something impressive (like a really big box at the end) before saying that I'm dissapointed by the packaging.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree the box is cool and to the nay sayers its the first vol. how can you judge so quickly. I watched it and thought its at least decent enough to bye the second vol. Smile
fargazer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I purchased the limited edition; while I really enjoy what I've seen so far (looking to rent Seven Samurai now, to see the original story this is based upon), I won't be purchasing the other limited editions, unless there's something beyond the storyboard books for extras.

The biggest beef I have with the packaging is the preview for the Lupin the Third movie at the start. There's no way with a regular DVD player to fast forward or skip it; you have to watch it Each And Every Time. It irritates me enough that, for the first time, I've started searching for DVD player mods to allow me to skip such "forced" previews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
I purchased the limited edition; while I really enjoy what I've seen so far (looking to rent Seven Samurai now, to see the original story this is based upon)

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, like many of his films, is a masterpiece. I prefer the original work to the animated adaptation, but contrary to the trend in this thread, I really enjoy Samurai 7 as well. I guess, being a huge Kurosawa fan (and not being much of a big studio Gonzo fan), I watched this title at Wizard World with lowered expectations, which were quickly met and exceeded. It's no Akira Kurosawa film, but it's a good title. I wouldn't be surprised to see it make Shelf Worthy in the next Shelf Life column. And I really have to commend the animation team that put so much effort into small details in the animation spoiler[like the first episode when they were picking the rice up off the ground]; it really added a quality that I think has been missing in a lot of other titles I've been watching recently. I plan on buying the entire series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:

The biggest beef I have with the packaging is the preview for the Lupin the Third movie at the start. There's no way with a regular DVD player to fast forward or skip it; you have to watch it Each And Every Time. It irritates me enough that, for the first time, I've started searching for DVD player mods to allow me to skip such "forced" previews.

Funimation has been doing that for awile now. I have several shows from them that do that trailer trick in the begining. It dose suck but it was smart on there part . Now you can't not see what they want . Evil or Very Mad
darkcancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it alot, problably because i am a big Kurosawa fan. I have seen the original and can see where tehy got some of there ideas from. Quick question, any other animes based on a Kurosawa film (beside Kaze no Yojimbo, which i also really liked)? I could see some of his otheers being made into animes such as Rashomon, The Bad sleep Well, and High and Low.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The horizontal insert in the DVD is also really nice. It reminds me of ADV's Zaions inserts which I really like. I assume these are included on the non limited edition version of Samurai 7. I also thought the preview DVD for Funimations was a nice touch. Although I already have a small stack of them since they are including it with what appears to be most of their titles.

Last edited by Randall Miyashiro on Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The artbooks are marginally worth it, but I enjoy that sort of thing, so I would keep buying them. I thought the anime was a nice adaptation of the original film.
snowrobot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess it was alright..I could care less for it though. It was hard for me to stay awake through the entire 100 minutes. Even though the battle scenes were quite reasonable. I did like the opening theme song Wink
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Another nice feature that Funimation tends to do is to include the original Japanese credits under an alternate angle. The font used for the Japanese credits is done in a really cool brush stroke style. Be sure to hit the angle button on your DVD player during the OP and ED credits to see it. I've also never had a problem with the Funimation pre-DVD preview. I manage to skip the previews through the art of randomly hitting the Top Menu, Menu and >> buttons. I also like the Mr. Stained animation which is included on Galaxy Railways and Samurai 7.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
I've had the LE Vol. 1 for a while now, but I've yet to actually open it. I want to see the original movie, but am trying to find the best version on DVD. The Toho, Japanese R2 version seems to be the best (which you can compare to the Criterion, U.S R1 version here). And next to that, is the CineKorea, Korean R0 version, which can be seen here.

I just don't want my viewing of the anime to create some sort of first impression bias before I get a chance to see how the original work is suppose to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1