• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exploring Japan with Google Earth

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone played around with the new Google Earth program? For those who haven't come across it before, it's a free interactive 3D satellite map of the entire earth's surface that you can download here (you'll need a fairly recent PC and a broadband connection). The quality of the images varies from place to place, but it's still pretty good.

So, what's this got to do with anime? Well, seeing I don't live in Japan and I've never been there (not yet, anyway), Google Earth is a great way to check out real-life Japan and see how it compares to anime/manga locations that are based on real places. For example, you can see the view over Otaru harbour from Chise and Shuji's observation platform, or get a Dolem's eye view of the star-shaped Fort Goryokaku at Hakodate. Most of Tokyo is pretty detailed so you can easily pick out the main landmarks there. I've even tried to get a free peek into the grounds of the Ghibli Museum at Mitaka, but unfortunately that's in a narrow strip of low-res images between two blocks of hi-res - any conspiracy theorists around here? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I can see my house. very cool worth the dl.

EDIT: a lot of people have pools.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
Ack, I've been wondering about this, but I'll have to keep on wondering as Windows ME isn't supported. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
Cool!

First one to find Bin Laden wins! Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
I've just figured out how to save a view setup so if I get time over the weekend I'll see if I can post a link to some of my favourite ones.

(Don't worry, Dilandau, if you look on the apron at RAF Fairford in the UK, you'll see a U2 spyplane ready to go looking...)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:09 am Reply with quote
If you don't want to bother downloading Google Earth, or it's not supported in your OS, you can use Google Maps, which has a satellite view function, too.

Quick links:

And, just for the heck of it: Ibarrrrrraki!
(If you find this funny, you'll know why I included it - if not, you're missing out on a hugely amusing joke.)

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1