• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Problem with Samurai Champloo DVD 3?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetron2030

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Firstly, my apologies if this has been discussed already. I tried to do a search and didn't see any topics that seemed to be geared towards the question I have about the dvd mentioned in the topic title.

My problem:

I was watching Samurai Champloo Volume 3 with the English 5.1 soundtrack (my wife was watching it with me). About a couple of minutes into the final episode on the DVD (#12, The Disorder Diaries), after the opening credits, Mugen and Jin are talking in a house and suddenly the video became corrupted and eventually froze on a single scene. The audio became clipped and stopped altogether. Basically, it locked up my DVD player at this point. Couldn't skip to previous or next chapter, couldn't scan in either direction either. Had to basically power off my DVD player to get it to respond at that point.

Has anyone else had this problem? I can't remember but I think I experienced a similar problem briefly with vol. 2 (or maybe it was with one of the other episodes on vol. 3) but it was a problem that the player managed to get through.

Best Buy wouldn't exchange it for me because I didn't have a receipt. So, I've WRITTEN Geneon since they don't provide an email address for these types of issues.
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
No, never had a problem with the DVD at all, and I watched the English 5.1 audio version numerous times.

I'm sure you already have checked, but is the disc clean? Also have you tryed viewing the scene in another DVD player or on your PC and experienced the same problem?
joetron2030

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I should mention that it happens at the scene where Mugen and Jin are talking about Fuu and the whole sunflower samurai thing. Where the story "rewinds" to the first flashback.

The DVD is clean. It had never been outside of the case prior to this first viewing recently.

It just played fine on my laptop, too.

Hrm... Dang it! I hope it isn't my DVD player. I'll have to try the other player in the house, too.

Thanks for the reply in any case!
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder whether this is the problem that I still have not received my copy from Amazon Canada.

I have pre-ordered this item since May 1st. I don't understand why it is so hard for Amazon to get this item from their supplier. Now, I am wondering whether Geneon has put this item on ship-hold due to defect.

Gee, DVD 4 is going to be released on July 16 but I still haven't got my DVD 3.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
This happend with one of my Kenshin Discs and Inuyasha movie. I sent Inu back but kept Kenshin, I have two DVD players and it worked on the other one.

I came to the conclusion that the dvd player it didn't work on was because the lense was dusty or that it was just old. If you have acssess to another dvd player, try it on that one.
JoPaco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
scorpioEDC wrote:
I wonder whether this is the problem that I still have not received my copy from Amazon Canada.

I have pre-ordered this item since May 1st. I don't understand why it is so hard for Amazon to get this item from their supplier. Now, I am wondering whether Geneon has put this item on ship-hold due to defect.

Gee, DVD 4 is going to be released on July 16 but I still haven't got my DVD 3.

i havn't bought the dvd you have, but from my experience it could be your dvd player. i have other players in my house and the one that didn't play correctly at certain scenes is my oldest and first dvd player.

hopefully its the same for u because then u could just use a newer dvd player.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote
I've got DVD 3 and didn't have any problems with it playing. However, I used to have a Toshiba player that things like this would often happen on, so much to the point I eventually replaced it due to that alone as it only happened on that player specifically. Cleaning the lense might help, it didn't work on my old player but it could help in your case, it'd certainly be cheaper than getting a new one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joetron2030

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all of the replies.

The player that I had problems with this DVD on is a pretty new player (about 1 year old or two). Believe it or not, it doesn't get used very often either.

Luckily, my family and I are currently bunkered with my parents while we're between houses and so I can try it out on my dad's deck.

I doubt the problem is due to age. It's entirely possible it's due to dust on the lense, though. I definitely hope it isn't a chip problem...

My player (dad's deck, too) is a JVC region-free NTSC <-> PAL deck. The only difference between mine and my dad's is the color (silver vs. black).

Thanks again for all of the input!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1