• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Influential anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keichi san

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime has made a dent in the American culture ,most children nowadays have been introduced to anime on a Saturday morning block of other shows. I was just thinking what anime do you think has had a substantial amount of influence on the American culture. Good or bad it doesn't matter.

I automatically think DBZ . That's where alot of people get the sterotype of anime from. They catch a glimpse of it on tv and automatically think all anime is like that. Not that i'm badmouthing DBZ, but the evidence is obvious.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Star Blazers and Robotech.

Back in the 80's these two series introduced a lot of people, including myself, to anime. Almost every anime fan has heard of one of them, except maybe the newest of fans.
Aokage

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
Macross was a tremendously popular anime when it was butchered and brought over to our shores as Robotech. People still obsess over the adventures of Rick Hunter, Roy Fokker, Max Sterling and the rest of the crew. I still remember how popular that show was from when I was a child.

Voltron is another popular anime along with Transformers. Those two, along with Macross, rounded out the really popular anime of the late 80's...which is when anime got its big push. Anime has been around in the U.S. for far longer than that. Gigantor and Speed Racer are both cartoons from my mother and fathers time...and were fairly popular, but Macross, Voltron and the Transformers are what I can remeber as being the start of the anime "invasion."

After those cartoons, anime started becoming a regular part of after school and morning cartoons. Samurai Pizza Cats, Mummy's Alive, Ronin Warriors (Samurai Troopers), Pokemon, Yugi-Oh, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z etc etc. The list goes on and on. Anime has continually been a presence in children and young adult programming ever since Macross and the 80's. I can actually see the fall of U.S. animation on television, to Japanese anime. Most cartoons on television these days (that aren't on Disney or Nickelodeon) are from Japan....
netmyster5

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Pokemon has had a impact here in america. I am 25 so i grew up in the 80's watching Transformers, Thunder Cats, Voltron among others. Pokemon introduced anime to a whole new generation of children when it first appeared quite a few years ago. Now those kids are growing up and as a result more and more anime is making its way to our tv's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Grico

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I would say pokemon as a phenomenon was one of the biggest events. The actually anime was just one part of the general blitz that focused alot more of the money on the card game and the video games. Its unclear how much it all is really connected to Japan in the minds of consumers though. The Final Fantasy games have been huge sellers in the US since the early 90s nd you didn't see any coresponding boom in other Japanese cultural imports, so its unclear to me how much pokemon has had an impact in driving the growing US anime market.
Silverwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
Yea I remember the days of trading cards. Pokimon, digimon, DBZ, Yhugiho, Sailor Moon, and others. Did you know the history channle has a teading card game called Anacronism?

Quote:
" Do what she says Ed, drink the dumb milk."
Tanuki-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I remember when i was a kid (like 7) in the early 90's, Toonami was where to catch anime. Shows like Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Thundercats, and DBZ were basically the main shows. Pokemon was also a huge influence in anime, everyone knew about it and we all had the games and the cards. Those to me seem like the shows we all usually think of.

Quote:
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I automatically think DBZ . That's where alot of people get the sterotype of anime from. They catch a glimpse of it on tv and automatically think all anime is like that. Not that i'm badmouthing DBZ, but the evidence is obvious.

Well to a certain degree you are right, mass marketed products are always the icons of their genre. When you say animation film, most people think of Disney as well.

As for an influential film, I'll go with Grave of the Fireflies.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
i would agree more to DBZ........ I highly doubt pokemon influenced people to watch more anime... pokemon was great for little kids, but i dotnt hink that gave them the idea of watching more animes...
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to think that one day we could look back and say that Voices of a Distant Star was one of the most influential animes of all time, maybe not because of anything conceptual or stylistic as such, but because one guy and his Mac put the big studios to shame and revitalised the industry. OK, it hasn't happened yet, but maybe there's still time...
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:
Star Blazers and Robotech.

Back in the 80's these two series introduced a lot of people, including myself, to anime. Almost every anime fan has heard of one of them, except maybe the newest of fans.

Yes Star Blazers!! Also Robotech was my very first anime I had ever seen. First thing I saw when I opened my eyes one morning, because I was sleeping on the couch for some reason unknown!

Toonami was another that got me into anime. Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo, Thundercats! Thundercats, thundercats OHHHHH! Laughing
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
Thundercats! Thundercats, thundercats OHHHHH! Laughing

Erm, since when was Thundercats anime?
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Well it depends what you mean, you say what anime has had a substantial amount of influence on american culture or is it what anime has had the biggest influence on the anime image in american society... im confusing myself
Well it'd definately be Pokemon either way. Adults, teenages and children make fun, puns, refferences about Pokemon. Transformers is huge as well, the theme song to the american cartoon is widely known (and liked), and was even on The Simpsons-reinforcing one of the many generalisations of anime.
Oh and I'm talking about Australian culture. DBZ, i cannot deny has also made a large impact but not a huge one since they can't sell millions of card games or video games on it because there is no appropriate plot.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
Mazinger Z - started the giant robot craze

Getter Robo/Combattler V - started the transforming robot craze
I mostly put Combattler V on there cause they mostly made it cause Getter Robo couldn't really get a transforming toy out at the time (there are now tho, which are really awesome but expensive) and then after Combattler there were tons more tranforming robot series
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
While those two are definately influential within anime in general, it could be argued that their influence in America and throughout the world is negligable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2