• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket Trailers.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Members, I require your assistance. :B

I am absolutely dying to hear the english/dubbed version of Fruits Basket. I'm wildly curious about the voices, and although I'll probably be disgusted to the point of gagging (or at least making a very, very disturbed face), I'd really like to hear it. Downloads won't show up in English version.

What I have done, most of all, is search for english trailers. On this very website, I found a link for DVD 4 english trailer, but it turns out the link won't work for me.

Can anyone be kind enough to provide me with a listen at the English version of FB, whether it be a trailer or some kind of sound file?

Thank you!

-Sii.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any links unfortunately, but having seen both the dub and sub, I'd say that the dub is rather good, and for the most part, pretty close to the Japanese dub. I think Shigure is PERFECT. Tohru, Kyo, Tohru's friends, and most of the characters are very good. Yuki sounds a little too creepy to me in the first few episodes, but he gets much better. In my opinion, the only character that was a huge let down was Ayame (unfortunately, one of my favorites). His voice made me want to die. Cut him out, and I'd consider it a very, very good dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, at least! :B I appreciate it.

...Though, I need to ask about a character you left out; my obsession. Heh.

...How was Akito? I think I might be scarred if I hear his voice, seeing as I have uncontrollable obsession issues with him, and I think one of his best qualities that make him Akito is his voice. Did they match him well? (I doubt it, but I want to hear it from some one who's seen the dubbed version.)

EDIT: I am still looking for a proper trailer that shows more voices, but I'll just respond to what I've seen...

DISGUSTING. Tohru's voice lacks the sweet, light-hearted innocence that is her character. It does not portray the polite, grateful Tohru we're supposed to know and hopefully love. Instead, what comes to mind is imposing, irritating, a sort of false, fakey thoughtfulness that screams 'bad voice actor'

Shigure is a little harsh and deep for my liking, but he has the same depth and main point to his voice, so I suppose I'm alright with him.

...And my wonderful obsession Akito. I'm disapointed beyond words at how they've turned the gentle, dangerous, haunting and bitter perfection into a strange man who speaks through his nose.

I know I've only heard, maybe, one line from the three, but this is what comes to mind from what I've heard.

I'd still like a link from some one. It would really help, and be appreciated! Thank you.

(Once I see it, I'll rant some more on the voice-overs I've yet to hear.)
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote
There are several English trailers on the Funimation website. I can't get a direct link, but go to Funimation's trailer page here and scroll down till you see the Fruits Basket section. Looks like you'll need WMP10.
Siilent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This is pure torture. That would have been a great help, and I thank you hugely for directing me so helpfully, but it seems my computer won't read the files.

I guess I don't have the plug in. Drat, and I wanted to hear the english voices so badly.

Thank you for your help, Angel! Does anyone else have a link?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure--I really liked the Fruits Basket dub, even some of the voices like Ayame--it's a great over-the-top, slightly femme drama queen voice that fit the character well, imo. And this is coming from what you could call a sub purist--I've only watched five shows completely through dubbed (the first 2 seasons of Sailor Moon, since I had dub-only DVDs, ROD TV, Sherlock Hound, and now Fruits Basket). The voices were a little off sometimes, especially in minor or one-shot characters, like Ritsu and Motoko (the fan club president). Horie Yuui's performance as Tohru was a hard act to follow, and I'll admit that the English VA wasn't on the ball 100%, but let me tell you, when she says "I can't" spoiler[in episode 25, while standing over her mom's grave talking to Uo-chan and Hana-chan], that was a rush of emotional power.

When watching the dub, I was worried that some of the saddest/most affecting episodes (in my case, 8, 17, 25, and 26) would be "ruined" by the dub, but I can say that they were just as effective as the original Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1