• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gankutsuou questions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
can someone tell me spoiler[how did the count make all his money? and also what did he do to Eugenie's dad exactly with the gold?]

sorry i've never read the book, so i don't know if it's explained better.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first episode of the anime, but as for all the money he has, in the novel:

spoiler[ When he is thrown in prison for the "crimes" he committed, he meets an old man named Abbé Faria, whom he spends a lot of years living with.

In that span, he learns a tremendously large amount of things like math, psychology, poetry, foreign languages, history and a lot of other information.

When he finally shows how loyal he can be, Abbé tells him about a secret hidden treasure of some family (I forget the name) on the island of Monte Cristo.

After Dantès breaks out of prison and flees, he's rescued by a ship, learns a few things from the people who save him, finds the treasure, then goes into the smuggling business (I don't remember what he smuggled).

And after a few more years of using what money and knowledge he has to build his name up, he eventually comes back to get revenge on all the people that betrayed him.]

I've only read the book once and that was about 6 years ago in my 10th grade English class, so my memory is fuzzy. If you don't mind a little reading, you can look at the Cliff Notes in the second and third chapter summaries (7-12 and 13-19).

EDIT: Added some extra comments.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
oh... so they changed the story drastically. makes more sense now. thanks

and might add this anime was really good, i can't believe it's so underrated.
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
First of all, let me say that this is drastically different from the book. Not to say this is a bad thing, as Gankutsuou is one of the best anime ever made. In the anime,

spoiler[they never really say, but he somehow has control of all the major stocks that Eugenie's dad was supposedly in control of. As for the dad and the gold, he basically left him in a ship with all the gold that he so dearly loves until he starves or is driven insane]
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's true that they don't explain how spoiler[the Count got control of the stocks ] in the anime, I guess that point was just a casualty of adaptation. I don't think this detracts from the anime though really, so long as you don't get hung-up about it.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It wasnt just the stocks the count also has him set up a unlimted line of credit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1