• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An origin of Appleseed

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I am still inexperienced in anime forums but Greek myth forums is another story. http://www.mythography.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4 is my HQ. I am the member called Kadmos.

I bought Appleseed this weekend. I watched both languages on the DVD. Very Happy they put many Greek myth names in there. Here (from websites) are some of the ones:
Areios (www.mythopedia.info/11-greece.htm in section called "Ares") is basically an earlier version of Ares.
Damysos (Chiron's article in theoi.com, which is one of the best GM sites) was swiftest of the Gigantes:

"Thetis burned in a secret place the children she had by Peleus; six were born; when she had Akhilleus, Peleus noticed and tore him from the flames with only a burnt foot and confided him to Kheiron. The latter exhumed the body of the Gigante Damysos who was buried at Pallene - Damysos was the fastest of all the Gigantes - removed the 'astragale' {a flower} and incorporated it into Akhilleus' foot using 'ingredients'. This 'astragale' fell when Akhilleus was pursued by Apollon and it was thus that Akhilleus, fallen, was killed." - Ptolemy Hephaestion Bk6 (as summarized in Photius, Myriobiblon 190)".

"Greek: BriarewV
BriarhoV
ObriarewV Transliteration: BriareÙs
BriarÍos
ObriareÙs Translation: Strong
Latin Spelling: Briareus

BRIAREOS was one of the HEKATONKHEIRES, the hundred-armed, fifty-headed sons of Ouranos. After the Titan-War he married Poseidon's gigantic daughter Kymopoleia and settled with her in a palace in the River Okeanos.
A firm ally of Zeus, he was summoned by Thetis to assist the god when Hera, Athene and Poseidon had bound him in chains.

Parents

(1) OURANOS & GAIA (Theogony 147, Titanomachia Frag 1, Apollodorus 1.1, Hyginus Pref)
(2) AIGAIOS (Iliad 1.397, Ion of Chios Frag 741)
(3) THALASSA (Ion of Chios Frag 741)

Offspring

OIOLYKA (Ibycus Frag 299)

"But the glorious allies of loud-crashing Zeus have their dwelling upon Okeanos' foundations, even Kottos and Gyes; but Briareos, being goodly, the deep-roaring Earth-Shaker [Poseidon] made his son-in-law, giving him Kymopolea his daughter to wed." -Theogony 817-819

“You [Thetis] said you only among the immortals beat aside shameful destruction from Kronos’ son [Zeus] the dark-misted, that time when all the other Olympian gods sought to bind him, Hera and Poseidon and Pallas Athene. Then you, goddess, went and set him free from his shackles, summoning in speed the creature of the hundred hands to tall Olympos, that creature the gods name Briareos, but all men Aigaios’ son, but he is far greater in strength than his father. He rejoicing in the glory of it sat down by Kronion, and the rest of the blessed gods were frightened and gave up binding him.” –Iliad 1.397-406

"Ion says in a dithyramb that Aigaion was summoned from the ocean by Thetis and taken up to protect Zeus, and that he was the son of Thalassa (Sea) [the author here confuses Briareus with his father Aigaion, son of Thalassa]." -Greek Lyric IV Ion of Chios Frag 741 (from Scholiast on Apollonius of Rhodes)

“The mount of Aitna smoulders with fire and all its secret depths are shaken as the Gigantos under the earth, even Briareos, shifts to his other shoulder, and with the tongs of Hephaistos roar furnaces and handiwork withal; and firewrought basins and tripods ring terribly as they fall one upon the other.” -Callimachus, Hymn IV to Delos 140

”The Korinthians say that Poseidon had a dispute with Helios about the land, and that Briareos arbitrated between them, assigning to Poseidon the Isthmos and the parts adjoining, and giving to Helios the height above the city.” –Pausanias 2.1.5

”The Akrokorinthos [at Korinthos] is a mountain peak above the city, assigned to Helios by Briareos when he acted as adjudicator [between Helios & Poseidon over the land of Korinthos].” –Pausanias 2.4.5

"She [Thetis] was sent to follow Aegaeon freed [Zeus] from his stubborn bonds and to count the hundred fetters of the god.” –Achilleid 1.209

"O Lord Zeus! If thou hast gratitude for Thetis and the ready hands of Briareus, if thou hast not forgot Aigaion the protector of thy laws.” –Dionysiaca 43.361

See also The Hekatonkheires

Sources:

Hesiod, Theogony - Greek Epic C8th-7th BC
Homer, The Iliad - Greek Epic C9th-8th BC
Greek Lyric IV Ion of Chios, Fragments - Greek Lyric BC
Callimachus, Hymns - Greek C3rd BC
Pausanias, Guide to Greece - Greek Geography C2nd AD
Statius, Achilleid - Latin Epic C1st AD
Nonnos, Dionysiaca - Greek Epic C5th AD".

What is your thought on this?
Greek mythology is a reason anime is so successful.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was a pretty comprehensive post Smile .
Other people may know more, but I think it's not uncommon for themes or names of characters in anime to be taken from some mythology or other. The "Valkyries" from My-Hime and "Urd, Skuld and Belldandy (Verdandi)" from Ah! My Goddess are two examples that spring to mind.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting how much real-world myth and legend really gets into serious anime.

After a study of some of the other animes in my collection, I've come to the conclusion that "destiny", "mythology", or "legend" seem to be the three most-used terms in every series I could think of.

(None of these are spoilers AFAIK except for the last one -- that one is tagged.)

Look at this:

- Appleseed, as you mentioned, is Greek Mythology
- Neon Genesis Evangelion is an amalgam of the Christian Bible, the Koran, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and Greek Mythology (the "Tragic Hero" aspect of the Eva pilots).
- Magic Knight Rayearth has the "legendary" Magic Knights of Cephiro, three girls who have a "destiny" placed on them.
- Chobits features the "legend" of the Chobit Series of persocom androids.
- Noir has a historical "legend" of the pair of women known as "Noir" dating back to the Dark Ages.
- InuYasha takes place in the Sengoku period of Japanese history and features many "legendary" stories and demons tied to those legends.
- Steel Angel Kurumi features three special "Steel Angels" who have been given a "destiny" - spoiler[to eventually save the future.]

(I haven't seen that much of RahXephon, but it looks to be based on the older myths like Egyptian and Babylonian, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

From this standpoint, there really are only a bit of anime that doesn't revolve around the concept of mythology or legends in some form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1