• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neo Ranga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cell21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
How is this anime?I might get it since i own Rahxephon and Neon Genesis in my collection.
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't recomend it unless your a writer. The reason I recomend it then is it is a very good example of how take a novel, original idea with some good characters in the first disk and to mess it up badly. The 5th and 6th disk are awful. It's a show I keep around just for that reason. If I suspect I'm unclear or going off on tangents, I stick in some Neo Ranga and remind myself what not to do.

However the first three disks, particularly the first and third are enjoyable. Also, the theme song from the 1st season rocks.

All the Best,

Nani?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I evidently didn't find it as bad as Nani? did, but even so, it's certainly not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Rahxephon or NGE. The main problem is that it never really makes it own mind up as to exactly what it is, so its style keeps on changing (as does the standard of animation). Mecha anime it certainly isn't - maybe shades of Gasaraki in there somewhere, but with more panties and toilet jokes. That's not to say it's all froth and fanservice, I did find parts of it genuinely moving towards the end.
Nani?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I evidently didn't find it as bad as Nani? did, but even so, it's certainly not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Rahxephon or NGE.

You have to understand. In an odd way, I like this show. It's not a classic, but it's one of those shows that intrigues me because it could have been really, really good and had some wonderful plot elements.
It's like the Titanic should have done well as Luxury Liner.
I even considered doing an AMV to "One of Us" by Joan Osborne for this show.

angel_lover wrote:
The main problem is that it never really makes it own mind up as to exactly what it is, so its style keeps on changing (as does the standard of animation).

Agreed.

angel_lover wrote:
Mecha anime it certainly isn't - maybe shades of Gasaraki in there somewhere, but with more panties and toilet jokes. That's not to say it's all froth and fanservice, I did find parts of it genuinely moving towards the end.

Wow, I had never thought of NeoRanga and Gasaraki in the same sentance (I really like Gasaraki) but this makes such a logical sense that I go wow. Thank you for a new strange and twisted thought.

And yes, parts of it are very moving.

All the Best,

Nani?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1