• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aria Manga Release Timeline

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quick question - does anyone know why the English adaptions of Aria are so far behind? According to the encyclopedia the Japanese volumes are upto 6 already with the last two already having tentitive time tables, where as we seems to currently be stuck at volume three. I did some hunting around on ADV's manga section of their website and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of information as to what is going on - the last scheduled manga release was listed for March 2005.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ADV is only focusing in their popular title which has ties to anime: Chrono Cruasde, Gunslinger Girls, Fullmetal Panic and so forth. All other title are either on hiatus or cancel.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Really? I wouldn't mind a hiatus, but for Aria to be canned would be terrible... I love the manga too much for my own good. But the fact that an anime will be released for Aria in the near future might help it gain some credibility, especially if ADV licenses it themselves.

Perhaps this will mean that ADV will be more careful about licensing the obscure ones from now on. :/
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I certainty hope that isn't the case - guess I need to send ADV an email tonight and find out what the story is.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I would think after having to cancel a load of their titles that ADV has learned their buying in bulk lesson.

Anyway, seeing as ADV has some production ties with Mag Garden, Aria's publisher, it's a good bet the anime will be licensed by ADV before it even airs its first episode. ADV made a deal with comic blade some time last year to help produce various Mag Garden titles into anime, in exchange to release the manga and anime here. ADV may of put Aria on a hiatus, but since its anime is being produced, you'll probably see it coming back. ADV is just REALLY slow with their manga releases, and it may take a couple years to release three volumes *or so it seems with their current pace on some titles*, but on the titles with an anime, the manga stands a good chance at not being canceled by them, even if it's a sequal manga only.

A good example of this would be the Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok series. I'm sure it's selling horribly for ADV, especially since they're pretty much releasing the series from volume 8, but they're continuing it anyway since they're about to release the anime here.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
You also have to factor in that Aria isn't selling well enough for them to continue.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
You also have to factor in that Aria isn't selling well enough for them to continue.
I'm sure those of us that are fans of the series would be more than willing to pay afew extra bucks if we could still get the rest of the series Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1