• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R1 Boxset Recommendations?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logboy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
ok, so i think (like many) that anime is way to expensive when you pick it up volume by volume... so can people please recommend great boxsets that are R1 official titles - giving an view as to why its worthwhile.

i have just picked up the 'rakxephon' set, have my eye on 'noir' for june, perhaps 'full metal panic' too... i like things which are more real-looking than overly cute, but am open to any suggestions in the end... thanks.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ADV is planning to rereleaes a lot of their older title in thinpaks, so you have to wait a while before you see really cheap boxset. In the meantime, FMP is a good deal, especially if you wait until DDD has a 20% discount and you can get it for around 40 buck.
Klampo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I know theirs a berserk brick you can get for like $50. Bandai releases lots of old bricks which are also good, please teacher, big o, banner of the stars etc. Record of Lodoss is also cheap
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I recently broke down and bought the Ranma season 1 box-it's from the first wave of DVD boxes, so it's way overpriced, but I got a good price on it and it's major nostalgia in a box. It's not worthwhile if you don't have a major nostalgia thing for old Ranma, though. Having (re)watched the first six episodes for the first time since before 9/11, I can say the Ranma anime paradigm of getting worse the further it strays from the manga sets in real early. And NO FUGGIN' EXTRAS unless you count titleless versions of the credit sequences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The Lain box set is great deal at like 30-40 dolars right now depending on where you look. Also as suggested Full Metal Panic is out in thin pack as well as RahXephron both are excellent shows.
logboy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
ADV is planning to rereleaes a lot of their older title in thinpaks, so you have to wait a while before you see really cheap boxset. In the meantime, FMP is a good deal, especially if you wait until DDD has a 20% discount and you can get it for around 40 buck.

which ADV do you recommend then...?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Samurai X collection.

Not ADV, but I seen the GTO boxset 1 & 2 for pretty cheap.
Kiaelf

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I second darkhunter's Samurai X recommendation, I just watched rented versions last weekend, now I have to go and buy the box set. It's one I have to have in my collection.

Also I'd recommened the Escaflowne Perfect Collecetion if you like the series, you can usually get it for about 60.00 at Best Buy, and that's all 8 discs AND the movie in one set.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I was going to recommend Escaflowne and Lain as well. You can also get Fruits basket for $60-$70, Comic Party for maybe $60, Please Teacher for $35, Steel Angel Kurumi for $35-$45, Love Hina for $100 (including all specials/OVAs). I'll probably get Noir when it comes out, since the bootleg isn't very good quality.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Not ADV, but I seen the GTO boxset 1 & 2 for pretty cheap.

Usually when I'm looking, GTO Boxset 1 is cheaper than 2. Boxset 1 is better than 2 though, so I'd recomend just picking up the first half.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Buying half of a series makes no sense at all. I don't see any point in doing that. So what if one part is better than the other, I prefer completion in my buying habits.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
takkunthecat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
buy your boxsets off EBay from ebay stores becas\use even though they arent big boxsets they are realy just foldables they come with the WHOLE series and are basically the same prize as buying 1 DVD from bust buy, and 2 DVD from suncoast!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
takkunthecat wrote:
buy your boxsets off EBay from ebay stores becas\use even though they arent big boxsets they are realy just foldables they come with the WHOLE series and are basically the same prize as buying 1 DVD from bust buy, and 2 DVD from suncoast!

They're illegal bootlegs, dude.

http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#dvd
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Buying half of a series makes no sense at all. I don't see any point in doing that. So what if one part is better than the other, I prefer completion in my buying habits.

Yes, because your buying habits aren't the same as others, therefore it obviously makes no sense? Not everyone has a completist mentality, nor as much money as they'd like.
eelozano

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
He's right...its the same as buying half a book.

Makes no sense at all.

I could understand if there wasn't a fluent storyline...but first without second = pointless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3