• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you look out for in an anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:10 am Reply with quote
What do you look out for in an anime? What draws you to an anime? The plot? Music? Characters? Drawing? Seiyuu? Rolling Eyes
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote
If you look at my Anime collection, you'll find a lot of JC Staff productions. Why? Because I like their style.

You'll also find the likes of Kanon, Maria-sama ga Miteru, AIR and Ah Megami-Sama too, all of which have excellent Plots and characters.

But the most important thing is the answer to this question: Do I enjoy this Anime?

There are Anime I thought I'd like which bored me senseless (some of the Macross and Gundam), while others seem to have no action, and yet I love them.

Maria-sama falls into the latter category: No fighting, No demons, No robots, No sex. It's not even a comedy (like Azumanga Daioh) yet I fell in love with it the first time I saw it on TV (raw - no subtitles).

Yes I do like anime such as Ikki Tousen (slated by some) and Excel Saga too (violence and nudity, yey!).

My Anime collection is much like my music collection, in that you will find Mozart next to Classical Japanese chamber music, next to Motorhead and SOB-Kaidan (Japanese Thrash Metal). It's an eclectic mix Wink

So, what do I look for in Anime? How would I know, I'm insane Razz

JBV^_^
Lazuright

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
This may sound dumb, but I look for dreams in anime. Let me explain. There is anime out there that is fantastic, just great. It seems to speak to the soul. It brings out the best in us. It makes you feel as if you’re a part of it. It sucks you right in. And when it’s all over you are left thinking about it till you sleep, and maybe beyond. That’s what I look for. Anime so great that it makes you remember and want to watch again and again for every second in the day.

Sorry if it sounds dumb.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The main thing that I look for in any anime series is character connections - how the characters interact with each other, how they interact with the viewer, and most importantly, how the viewer interact with the characters. It doesn't matter what genre of anime or whether the series is good or bad, as long as I enjoy watching the characters, it will find a place on my shelf.

Lazuright, your comments are not dumb. Anime that "speaks" to you and makes you "feel" that you're a part of the action (presentation) is another aspect that I look for in any series. In fact, what you wrote in your post is exactly how I watch anime. When I watch anime (or any other TV program), I like to pretend that I'm a part of the show; it helps me establish the character connections that I look for.

My anime collection is also eclectic - I have no particular genre that's truly my favorite, but I won't watch horror - I'm just not into horror anime.

In a technical view, I like to watch the animation styles of Studio Gonzo, J.C. Staff, and Xebec (mostly Gonzo). Any anime series that has a deep, intreging, and/or suspensful story is high on my list (Wolf's Rain and Texhnolyze fall in this catergory). I also like to watch anime that has humor in it, such as Azumanga Daioh and Full Metal Panic.

But it's character connections and presentation that are the main factors for me to look for in an anime series.

Last edited by biliano on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I mostly look out for Character connections. I cant watch something if i dont like the characters.

The music can be any thing BUT rap, i draw the line there. Hip-Hop beats are O.K.

The animetion has to be decent at least. I dont want some cheesey drawn characters and background.

And, this is very important, a good Plot. Im not going to sit and watch a character doing the same thing over and over.

It would also have to be in english and dubbed...subtitles are only acceptable, for me, in live action movies like "Hero"

There also has to be a big theme and a, I know this is hard to do, non-cleache way of going about it.

Gore, Action, Sci-Fi, Romance, Phycological.
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
For me, it's all about the characters and the story.

The characters can't be one-dimensional. I don't like characters that are easily looked at and can have a label thrown on them. The tough guy/girl, the sensitive guy/girl, the stupid/loud guy/girl, etc. Anyone can tell you that real life people aren't so easily disected. I like it when a character surprises you once in a while.

The story has to pique my interest within the first three or so episodes. If it seems too derivative (Duel Masters) or too boring (GITS:SAC), it'll drop off my radar. But if it seems interesting and original, I'll give it much more leeway before I "write it off". Sorry to GITS fans, but you have to admit, it is hard to get into.
alchemist2102

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The Winking Samurai I feel ya bro.....GITS is a lil slow...an its not high on my list of faves either.....but for the ones i like i look for things that i can relate to as well as things that i feel would be cool to happen........if it isnt performed good by the voices then theres a good chance i wont watch it....an if the story is crummy..its gone...ill give alot of em a chance but if it doesnt appeal to me...bye bye...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
To me, the first and most important aspect is story. Without some kind of plot, how can I stay interested? Of course I also enjoy lots of storyless titles as well, which are often just comedies.

After that, I'd say voice acting. Whether it be from seiyuu or dub VAs, characters are an essential part of the story and even if the story isn't as stellar, the characters can still be interesting given that whoever is playing them can pull off decent performances. Nothing kills an anime more than bad dubbing (*cough* Kenshin).

Music would probably be the third, and animation would probably be on the bottom.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I am a eye candy whore. If the anime oozes style and has animation so fluid that it would rival the fabric of reality then I am pretty much guaranteed to love it. Examples? Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Escaflowne the Movie, R.O.D OAV, Giant Robo & certain parts of (actually, make that most of) Evangelion & Bebop.

Unfortunately such a volatile mix of style and fluidity is rarely found, which is kind of lucky, because if it was a common occurrence then I’m sure my body would spontaneously combust.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't really look for anything. I watch it (per reccomendation, usually) and if I like it I like it, you know?

but trends I've noticed in the anime I watch seems to be comedy, philosophy and action.
also, music is my life, so if it has a good score, it'll win major points with me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
nerei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Lazuright wrote:
This may sound dumb, but I look for dreams in anime. Let me explain. There is anime out there that is fantastic, just great. It seems to speak to the soul. It brings out the best in us. It makes you feel as if you’re a part of it. It sucks you right in. And when it’s all over you are left thinking about it till you sleep, and maybe beyond. That’s what I look for. Anime so great that it makes you remember and want to watch again and again for every second in the day.

Sorry if it sounds dumb.

I agree with biliano that your comments are not dumb. I believe that most people do watch animes for the dreams. Animes are, after all, an alternate world for most people, to experience new things that they can't in reality. In a way, it'll be like living in a dream.

Last edited by nerei on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The storyline is the main draw (no pun intended), if the plot isn't interesting to me I probabally will not continue watching. Although I also enjoy great characters as well sometimes these can make the series worth it for me. Anything else is really secondary, I can anjoy just about any genre as long as the above requirements are met. Action is always helpful, as is good music and one can always use a little humor. I don't mind a little romance either, like a sub-plot, not when the whole storyline revolves around it though.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ya Lazuright, your totally right! Anything that can make you think beyond the restrictions of your own mind and change your perception of the world even just for a moment it worth viewing. It's hard to find out there but when you find a keeper; that's what anime is all about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
First thing I look for is the genre, I like action, comedy, mechas, and a little romance, so if its not that I generally change it. After that I look at the characters and the premise of the story, if all those are good, it makes me watch the anime.
Golgo13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Usually if all those elements are unique and original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3