• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How bad is Dirty Pair Flash, really?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
What with the new release from Nozomi, the Dirty Pair have been getting a lot of attention (most of it positive) around these parts. The remake, on the other hand, everyone is quite keen to continue to overlook. I didn't consider this surprising, since Dirty Pair Flash is supposed to be a weak rehash that ruins the characters.

But then something caught my eye. The last 10 episodes (out of 16 total) were directed by Tomomi Mochizuki. This is the guy who directed the recent House of Five Leaves, in addition to such well received works as Twin Spica and the Ghibli special Ocean Waves. This is somebody who should know his stuff.

So this has me wondering, are those last ten episodes of DPF really so bad? Does some combination of inexperienced direction or poor writing ruin them? Or does everyone stop after the first six episodes, and never give the stuff Mochizuki directed a chance?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The remake, on the other hand, everyone is quite keen to continue to overlook. I didn't consider this surprising, since Dirty Pair Flash is supposed to be a weak rehash that ruins the characters.

I've never heard people talk about DPF, let alone talk bad about it, but this doesn't surprise me. I don't think many people like remakes in general, with anime fans being some of the bigger culprits.

I've never seen the Original Dirty Pair, so all I know is Flash, but it's not bad in my opinion. The first two missions (episodes 1-11) are the best the show has to offer even though third isn't terrible unless you hate fanservice. Even though I've never seen the original DP, I hear it's basically Kei and Yuri blow shit up in stand alone episodes, and that's what happens in the first two missions, more or less. In Flash, the episodes aren't really stand alone since it's split up into 3 missions like said, so there are 3 overarching story lines.

The third one, for some reason, has a more fanservicey approach. The action is turned down, but the comedy is still alright, so it's not a waste. I don't think this is spoilerish, so I'll say it anyways. The third one focuses on Kei and Yuri and how they have to prepare for a beach volley tournament for an undercover mission and there's lots of skimpy clothing. So, unless you count exploding volleyballs and beach games action, there isn't much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
I like both the original Dirty Pair and Dirty Pair Flash equally, but Flash shows how Kei and Yuri, seemingly two different people can grow and learn to get along with each other as partners, in which Missions 2 and 3 show where Kei and Yuri are getting along a bit better and thus shows character development from the way they were with each other in the first episodes. This is something I praise Flash for doing. The original Kei and Yuri pretty much stay the same as the series didn't provide any kind of backstory and the basis of their partnership is vague, sometimes it helps to know these things to help build the characters.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
As a long time DP fan I'll just say this-it was the first anime series that I watched many years ago and for me I've always enjoyed it in both incarnations-I like the originial DP a little better than Flash-it seems in the originial Keii and Yuri act a lot more like friends than they do in Flash. Still-DP in any flavor is entertaining-as long as you keep in mind that it isn't masterpiece theature.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I watched Flash way back in the early days of my fandom, and I really enjoyed it then.

Honestly, it's not a bad series, really- it's about girls and guns and explosions and does excactly what you'd expect from such a show. I suspect the negativity comes from the nostalgia factor... "this isn't the version I know, therefore, it's completely inferior in every way and I must tell everyone! To the internet!"

If you like guns and explosions, you might as well try it- I mean, it's not like it's Garzey's Wing bad Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I watched Flash way back in the early days of my fandom, and I really enjoyed it then.

Honestly, it's not a bad series, really- it's about girls and guns and explosions and does excactly what you'd expect from such a show. I suspect the negativity comes from the nostalgia factor... "this isn't the version I know, therefore, it's completely inferior in every way and I must tell everyone! To the internet!"

If you like guns and explosions, you might as well try it- I mean, it's not like it's Garzey's Wing bad Laughing

I fully agree with you DuelLady. I fully enjoyed both and I think a lot of Flash's resentment comes from being different than the original. Normally I will admit shows that take a set of characters and totally change them do not work out the best. Not to dis DP but both versions are not exactly "deep" anime. They are are you said about girls, guns, explosions, and kicking ass. There's enough plot and depth to give the show merit but it falls into what I call the Summer Action Genre. They're there to have action and entertain you but not really strive to have an Oscar worthy deep story. Think Michael Bay movies but without the suck factor heh. Correct me if I'm wrong but also until recently the original DP was not available for purchase short of bootlegs and rips. Where as DP Flash has been on dvd for a while now. I saw the original thanks to bootleg VHS tapes back in the day from friends but that was it.

If you like DP I say check out Flash. If you like girls with guns and explosions I say check it out. If you like action I say check it out. If you want some highly moving piece that will change your life.....then try something else heh.
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
I guess the hatred for Flash isn't as universal as I first believed. I'll try to check it out and see for myself of it holds up, or if the change of directors salvaged it.

Thanks to all of you who responded, you've made me add one more title to my watch list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1