• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discussion about the anime ratings.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rojse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
In order for you to give an anime show or movie a ten out of ten, or to rate it as a masterpiece, what do you expect to see in that show?

Conversely, what has a an anime show or movie done or not done (or what would it have to do or not do) for you to rate it a one out of ten?

Please note that this thread is not made to discuss the shows or movies that you have rated as "masterpieces" or "worst-ever" - there are other threads for that - but what factors are common in each of these that led you to rate them that way.

For me to give a show or movie full marks, I expect to see well-drawn and credible characters, that act in a manner that is believeable given their situation and circumstances. I also have to find the story interesting and original. There are no inconsistencies in the plot or character's behaviour, or unexplained coincidences, either - that quickly ruins a show for me. Animation quality is not a big issue for me - I can appreciate an otherwise enjoyable show even if the animation isn't of high quality.

For a show to earn a worst-ever rating, I would have to find undeveloped and cliched characters, huge plot holes, and a shamelessly cliched plot. Animation and voices are not a big issue for me - I'm there for the characters and story - so they would have to be really poor-quality for this aspect to have an impact on how I view the show.

[EDIT: Don't double post. Use the Edit button, instead. And don't quote yourself to start a conversation. -TK]
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
What I look for in a good anime:

-First and foremost I expect the series to be entertaing. That will allow me to get through the series.

-Next comes the characters. If the characters are fun or interesting then it's easier for me to get hooked to the series if I want to see what will happen to them.

-After that comes the story and action, because it's hard to find an original concept now-a-days, I put most everything above these elements, but they are still important. Fun characters can get me through a boring story, but if it's a blatant rip off of something then it's harder to sit through it.

-Lastly though very much important is if I got something out of the series. I don't honestly expect to get some huge moral revelation or something that makes me think out of every great anime I see, but if I feel as though I've made something of an accomplishment by seeing it than that's good enough.

I don't think I;ve ever seen a truly "bad" series, though there are some genres I dislike. Generally though in order to be a really terrible series in my eyes, it would have to fail in about two of catgeories I look for. No series has yet qualified for that yet, but Bleach is well on its way...

All that being said I've only given out a "10/10" to about 4 series I've seen:

Yu-Yu Hakusho
: Sure it's a somewhat mindless battle shonen, but it's a really fun series and there's never a dull moment. Towards the end though, it began to evolve into soemthing more as it eventually became something of a "coming-of-age" story for the main character Yusuke. It had a solid resolution and though it had it's problems the fun I had watching it pretty much outweighed all the complaints.

Rainbow: I finished it a couple of months ago, and I was surprised at how good it was. At first I thought it was just going to be some dark tale about prison life, but it turned into a beautiful and touching story about friendship and moving on. Other than one character nit getting their own mini arc, I had no problems whatsover with this series.

Casshern Sins: I had started watching it because the art style intrigued me, and at first I didn't really get what the series was trying to do. Into the second half though, I was able to follow it a bit better but still needed to rewatch the whole thing in a marathon to really get it. I'm not really all that into dark and depressing series, but Casshern Sins resonated with me. It showed just how much we all fear death and at the same time how much we need it to truly feel alive. While there were one or two things that could have been explained in full, the story did what it needed to do and it all came together brilliantly.

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
: This is my all time favorite series. The story and setting is very slow paced and relaxed, but that;s the charm of the series. You see all of the characters going through daily life while a conspiracy slowly builds up in the background. There are of course the occasional plot heavy episodes that help to bring it all together, but surprisingly, I had just as much fun seeing the character interactions. The series wrapped up pretty nicely leaving one or two big questions, but ultimently nothing worth griping over.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
once u start to watch anime for entertainment rather than watching it for the sake of watching it... you start to ignore ratings or not care so much about them.
I feel like a lot of people misinterpret many seires, and therefore give mixed ratings.
I usuyl watch based on descriptions/sumary/ ratings. A mix of that. And based on genre:D But if i wanna watch sometihing i will without a care for any of that. It could be a simple thing as a voice actress/actor or opening theme song:D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1