• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thundercats from Studio 4C - anyone looking forward to it?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=291&itemid=16546 Apparently there will be Snarf.

I love the original series, which had some pretty lavish animation for it's time from Topcraft and RankinBass. It's nice to know that Studio 4C is handling a lot of the work on the series, and I'm hoping that get a nice budget and range to life the series above usual cartoon fare.

Gonzo's animation on GIJOE and Transformers Cybertron series was fun enough, and they used CGI well in Cybertron, but both were basically standard toy commercials for the most part. Given writing duties and some creative aspects are being handled by Cartoon Network, who've done some really awesome action shows lately with stuff like Transformers Animated, Ben Ten and the showiwanttoseemost Sym-bionic Titan, I'm really curious what they'll manage with 4C on board. 4C's mostly done theatrical and OVA work, with stuff like the crazily animated Tweeny Witches mixed in...

If anyonelse has any other links/articles about the show share em! It seems it's still a fair bits away from airing, so info's been sparse for the most part.

also found ANN's entry from back in June
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-02/animatrix-studio-4c-to-animate-new-thundercats
Avatar's producer is on board? Nice! That also reminds me that there's that new Avatar miniseries on the way. It's an awesome time to like cartoons Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
I remember watching that series as a child.

And it was probably because that I was a child that I was able to make a full recovery!!! Razz Anime hyper Mr. Green
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=291&itemid=16546 Apparently there will be Snarf.

I love the original series, which had some pretty lavish animation for it's time from Topcraft and RankinBass. It's nice to know that Studio 4C is handling a lot of the work on the series, and I'm hoping that get a nice budget and range to life the series above usual cartoon fare.

Gonzo's animation on GIJOE and Transformers Cybertron series was fun enough, and they used CGI well in Cybertron, but both were basically standard toy commercials for the most part. Given writing duties and some creative aspects are being handled by Cartoon Network, who've done some really awesome action shows lately with stuff like Transformers Animated, Ben Ten and the showiwanttoseemost Sym-bionic Titan, I'm really curious what they'll manage with 4C on board. 4C's mostly done theatrical and OVA work, with stuff like the crazily animated Tweeny Witches mixed in...

If anyonelse has any other links/articles about the show share em! It seems it's still a fair bits away from airing, so info's been sparse for the most part.

also found ANN's entry from back in June
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-02/animatrix-studio-4c-to-animate-new-thundercats
Avatar's producer is on board? Nice! That also reminds me that there's that new Avatar miniseries on the way. It's an awesome time to like cartoons Smile

Except "Cartoon" Network didn't renew Symbionic Titan (which was easily one of the best shows in their rotation, also with the most depth and character), so it remains unfinished. And Genndy Tartakovsky left CN (gee, I wonder why?) for Sony Animation, thus making the chances of seeing any more of this beloved, and well-rated series highly unlikely, unless someone does a license rescue and picks it up from CN (also a very long shot).

Word is the show wasn't canceled due to ratings (theirs were quite good), but due to a lack of toys and merch. to sell/license. You can read the full scoop on Cartoon Brew.

So no, not to be a grump or cynical, it's really not looking like a good time -for me at least- to like cartoons (especially when the one's I love and look forward to are canceled, while cheaply made derivative drivel like Ben 10 and Generator Rex continue).
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into American shows, so no. I guess the new thing isn't just making your show look like anime (Teen Titans, Avatar) but getting Japan to animate them (Transformed Animated, Boondocks, this). As long as the writing is still American, I'll stay uninterested, since that's where the key difference is. I like anime for the story and writing, not the pretty art Smile

CareyGrant wrote:
Word is the show wasn't canceled due to ratings (theirs were quite good), but due to a lack of toys and merch. to sell/license. You can read the full scoop on Cartoon Brew.

Eh, unfounded rumor, or just some Pr statement. SBT was the lowest rated show on the block, ratings (or lack thereof) definately contributed to it I'd say.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
I'm not really into American shows, so no. I guess the new thing isn't just making your show look like anime (Teen Titans, Avatar) but getting Japan to animate them (Transformed Animated, Boondocks, this). As long as the writing is still American, I'll stay uninterested, since that's where the key difference is. I like anime for the story and writing, not the pretty art Smile

CareyGrant wrote:

Eh, unfounded rumor, or just some Pr statement. SBT was the lowest rated show on the block, ratings (or lack thereof) definately contributed to it I'd say.

The Block is a steaming pile (they're highest rated shows are Ben 10 and Generator Rex--mindless, derivative drivel) and SBT skewed much older than the demo they were aiming for (like those that watch B10 and similar).

Personally, they'd have done better putting it on AS.

Also, according to Neilson and TV by the Numbers, SBT's ratings were both strong and showing growth week over week. Sure they weren't like what Ben 10 pulls down (~ 500K) or Gen Rex (~400k), but ~ 350K.

Add to that that Genndy left CN for Sony and that does make you wonder if it were a lack of merch., politics, or some combo of both. But, personally, I don't think they were canceled due to their ratings.

SBT was also a more expensive show to make (and it showed everywhere), and CN's all about what's cheap (and looks cheap) to produce and has the most merch. tie-ins.
Drewbear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I personally can not wait till it comes out. I'm getting all sorts of flash backs of my Thundercat days. I can not stop thinking of... and saying

THUNDERCAT HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

lol

I think its cool its being redone as an anime. Combining two awesome things together woot!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Symbiotic Titan suffered from bad character designs and horrible mecha design. I'm not at all surprised that it didn't do well, as it was Tartekovski's worst project so far.

Thundercats looks way better though.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
The Block is a steaming pile (they're highest rated shows are Ben 10 and Generator Rex--mindless, derivative drivel) and SBT skewed much older than the demo they were aiming for (like those that watch B10 and similar).

Well yeah, I don't like the block myself, but I was just saying

Quote:
Also, according to Neilson and TV by the Numbers, SBT's ratings were both strong and showing growth week over week. Sure they weren't like what Ben 10 pulls down (~ 500K) or Gen Rex (~400k), but ~ 350K.

The link I saw when it was still on it's original block

Boys 9-14:
MAD = 709,000
Regular Show = 668,000
Adventure Time = 615,000
Ben 10: Ultimate Alien = 458,000
Star Wars: The Clone Wars = 442,000
Generator Rex = 388,000
Young Justice = 330,000
Sym-Bionic Titan = 250,000

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/03/08/ratings-notes-for-tbs-tnt-cartoon-network-trutv-including-southland-conan-regular-show-more/85023

They moved it to new blocks to try to get better ratings, but it failed to catch on. I have to agree with Ohoni on the designs; they looked very ugly (Octus' human form looked like a box, or refridgerator) Genndy's art has always been ugly. I think the problem is America just can't seem to do mecha anime because:

1. The only people interested in making mecha shows are Anime fans
2. Because of this, they spend the whole time referencing anime rather than making their own show.

Megas XLR had a similar problem, it relied way too many on parodies/references, similar to SBT (lots of Getter Robo, Space Battleship Yamato, Mazinger, etc references). They seem to be more parodies than straight mecha shows. Megas had zero story and no ending, and SBT barely had a story that only appeared in the last few episodes (and no ending). I think American shows don't work for action, since they always seem to get canceled without an ending.

Also, they just tend to lack what makes mecha awesome. Great designs, fights, art, and especially awesome music. Also an actual plot. I know I was more interested in Star Driver last season. I think that's the problem with most anime-influenced shows. They spend more time referencing anime and throwing out 'homages', but don't really do anything for themselves; and they don't have the ability (either through censorship, budget, or technical limitations) to have as good of art, music, and story as real stuff. Thundercats doesn't seem to be much different from what I saw.
Drewbear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
What the heck are you guys talking about. I did my best not to respond to your comments last time. Stop trolling. If you aren't going to talk about Thundercats get out of this thread
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm gonna check this one out. Not likely I will watch it religiously but yeah I'm gonna watch it when I can. The trailer looks really good.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember this from my childhood. Very Happy

I always had an intense admiration for Lionel.

I'll check it out of I come across it on TV.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

CareyGrant wrote:

Actually, getting Japan to animate them is an old thing- the original Thundercats was animated in Japan by TopCraft, Batman the Animated Series had episodes handled by TMS [part of the inspiration for Big O btw], and Toei animated GIJOE, Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Transformers, Jem* and the first My Little Pony special in the 80's. Then stuff where they handed even more of the production over to Japan besides just animation, like Osamu Dezaki directing Bionic Six.

Japan's trained animators meant you'd get a better show if you had the budget for it- more expensive than Korea but cheaper than animating everything the US. Even now, you see stuff like the Green Lantern animated movie being animated mostly in Japan or Madhouse animating the Planet Hulk movie.

Anyhoo, still looking forward to the new Thundercats cartoon, and still think it's stupid to bash US cartoons to prove how great anime is or vice versa. I just want to watch the fun cartoons, personally, and Disney is just as good crack as Madhouse.

*Does this make Luffy just slight ever so truly outrageous?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1