• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Requiem for the Phantom is a terrible, terrible thing.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but i have to have my feelings out there!

Ok besides having an awful title this has some of the worst writing I have ever encountered. Let me try to give you a brief list of some of the dumb thins they did in this one.

spoiler[
Establish a romance that goes nowhere for half the series then the episode after it finally developed they do a 180 and now they are brother and sister

Have a 12 year old girl turn into a 6 foot tall fully mature crazy sexy assassin woman in 2 years (if the transformation doesn't sound that silly, watch the anime and you will understand how stupid this is)

OK this is a great one 2 characters think the other was killed in an explosion. 2 years later they see each other rather than the rational response of "OH MY GOD IM SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU LETS MAKE BABIES" they pull guns on each other! WHY seriously someone tell me why?

Also even if i concede that only the girl pulls a gun but no one in the entire show brings up the fact that he thought she was dead instead he just kills her in a scene that anyone with half a brain saw coming 6 episodes ago. It was so ham handed that it had no emotional value except for my laughter at how terrible that character's plot arch was

The unnecessary ox-cart shooter ending. Anyone notice that elen is just sitting there smiling while her BFF jill falls over dead?

The finally action scene was plain bad which was a surprise because the show had decent action scenes

And most of all what really pisses me off is that all the themes and the idea behind the plot set the stage for such a potential good anime. When I started this anime I was so excited a dark anime about two soulless assassin murdering by day and making sweet blood soaked love by night while the crazy brainwasher guy sits in the corner and grooves on it? AWESOME. Throw in some identity crisis where someone has to contend with lost memories a lost life perhaps a lost love all returning! GREAT. Have some shady mob group taking over organized crime all over the world with dirty deals and backstabbing. THIS SHOW SOUNDS AMAZING!

But no, thats not what the show is about this show is about a dumb guy telling a brainwashed girl "don't blindly follow that guy and do whatever he says! blindly follow me and do whatever I say! Cause i just want to see you smile cause I'm the good guy and thats how we roll... Hey guuurl you disappeared let me get replacement girl. Awwwwww replacement girl is gone, siiiigh i guess i'll go grab that brainwashed again!"]

Yeah this is a rant but I have to know if anyone else is anywhere close to as pissed about this as I am
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
I hated the show also. I started watching it because I heard from a lot of other people on a different anime forum that it was quite "good" and somewhat similar to Darker Than Black, so I thought it wouldn't hurt. The first 10 or so episodes were fairly good spoiler[until they had to do the time skip.]

By then, it got incredibly boring as it didn't really seem to go anywhere and I stopped watching it around ep18. I got really tired of the spoiler["I want power" storyline] and many things about it really bugged mespoiler[(like Reiji shoving his face in that chick's boobs, I just went wtf?)]. The constant Engrish used to pronounce the characters were awful along with the hilarious names. "Scythe Master"? Really? Why would you think that sounds cool? Also, why would the head of a mafia organization wear clothes as if he was in the 1700s? I face palmed every time I saw him in a scene.

I ended up reading summaries of what happens afterwards and it wasn't very interesting. The ending was hilariously bad also(I skipped to the end scenes of ep.26), spoiler[why would you just "kill" off the main characters randomly without making an efforts as to explaining why? If they basically foreshadowed that they would "die" like they did with Spike in Cowboy Bebop, it might have actually worked.] I agree with you, the show was crap. The beginning episodes had a decent premise and tanked immediately after wards. It would have worked much better if it took on a Bourne-esque storyline afterspoiler[ Reiji and Elen try to defect.]
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
yeah alot of things the characters did just made no sense. I thin this kind of ties into my good characters conversation. These writers wanted certain plot milestones like "main hero shoves face in boobs" or "main hero adopts little girl" and they did this with no regard to how the character's personality has been designed up to that point. And this is to darker than black what the special Olympics are to the regular ones
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Exactly. Since you mentioned DTB, I actually felt season 2 of Darker Than Black was way more interesting to watch than Phantom despite its vague ending and weak story-telling execution.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
So you both watched 26 episodes of a show you despised? That must have been a good use of your time. I dug it and will buy it. Far from a flawless show, but I found it consistently entertaining.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
Wow so much hate haha. I personally enjoyed it overall. I have no idea how anyone compared this to Darker Than Black... if anything it's obviously more similiar to Noir.

I dunno what your guys beef is with the boobs also. (major spoiler ahead )spoiler[ I thought it was clear that his boss had a thing for Renji and that in return for his physical advances she'd repay him in other ways. It's how their relationship worked. Plus after the time skip Renji thought Ein was dead. I dunno how it's so out of character ]

As for the ending itself spoiler[ yeah i wasn't exactly a big fan of how they went like that. But in response to what Poilk was saying I think Ein was looking like that cause they were possibly implying that she was shot also. It's been awhile since I've seen it, so I forget if she had that face before or after she may have been hit . Either way maybe she was in shock and had a delayed reaction o_O ]

Overall I enjoyed the show, it was fun to watch. It was kinda up and down here and there but it kept my interest throughout. I personally liked the spoiler[ time jump, since it showed Renji's transformation. It also set up Phantom vs Phantom ] I mean this show is far from being very good, but it's also far from trash. But that's my opinion, honestly I'm not even a fan of calling anything trash, it's just more of what you like or not.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
I thought the series was interesting up until the last 5 minutes or so which ruin the show. Also I agree that this series has so much wasted potential.
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So you both watched 26 episodes of a show you despised? That must have been a good use of your time. I dug it and will buy it. Far from a flawless show, but I found it consistently entertaining.

Because I so SO SO wanted to like it. And I always wanted to give it another chance to do something right, I figured ok ok ok im disappointed now but if they just have a good ending it will be worth it. SPOILER ALERT THE ENDING SUCKS ASS.

I honestly think in the best of circumstances i would consider this anime OK or even good. But because it could have been so cool it just pisses me off, especially because the writing is the only thing wrong with the series but it is just SO wrong. I don't thin there is an excuse for completely eradic character developemnet and writing desisions like spoiler["oh hey if they run away together then the story is over! OH YEAH what are we gana do about that? Well we already established that she wants to run away and that she basically loves renji sooooo how about we ignore everything that has been developing so far and make her go back to crazy dude with no coaxing whatsoever"]
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
It was an excellent show up to a certain point, after that the quality dropped tremendously; nonetheless, it was still very entertaining. I'd say my main beef with Phantom Requiem was the lack of developed Ein, and about everything they did to Cal. Beyond that, there's no way this show is below average.

Nerv1 wrote:
Exactly. Since you mentioned DTB, I actually felt season 2 of Darker Than Black was way more interesting to watch than Phantom despite its vague ending and weak story-telling execution.

Weak storytelling and not telling you anything at all are two different beasts!
Blood- wrote:
So you both watched 26 episodes of a show you despised?

Guilty! Although it never went close to hate, otherwise I'd still remember it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1