• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ninja fishnet.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Flame of Recca? Check. Naruto? Check. It seems that a lot of ninja in anime and manga wear fishnet clothing. I've been wondering why though. I've never seen any historical proof that they have however. Does anyone know where this concept came from?

I do briefly remember seeing a perhaps 18th century Japanese painting of a woman wrapped up in a fisherman's net for clothing, but I'm pretty sure the topic was intended to be taken as a pun.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Probably the same bullshit about ninjas running with their heads down and arms flailing behind them like complete morons. It's just a convention made for the sake of fiction.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:49 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Flame of Recca? Check. Naruto? Check. It seems that a lot of ninja in anime and manga wear fishnet clothing. I've been wondering why though. I've never seen any historical proof that they have however. Does anyone know where this concept came from?

The fishnet-like clothing which you often see in ninja manga/anime is (stylized) mail.

A picture from Iga no Kagemaru, a classic by Yokoyama Mitsuteru.
http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/69/b5/d44a105ba98210af4f7842b6e58d1dbd.jpg

RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
Lol so the sexy female ninjas traded their scale mail for fishnets? That's pretty funny. Now whenever I see a ninja character drawn with fishnets I am going to laugh a little.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses. I think I'd keep the scale mail, but the fishnet is so much better for the goth or punk look Laughing

Is there any similar root for the idea of 'ninja hand signs'? The idea of manipulating some force actually seems closer to Tai Chi/Tai Chi Chih than any actual form of ninjutsu. Then again, some of the moves in Naruto look a lot more like a pro wrestler's style than a ninja's. xD
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

It's a pleasure.

vashna wrote:
Is there any similar root for the idea of 'ninja hand signs'?

They are in.

vashna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
They're based on yinxiang? Aww, I'm such a doofus for not realizing it!
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
You're forgetting a bunch of other stuff that makes ninjas so practical: Tiny, tiny sleeveless kimonos. Those funky "toeless socks" that bare your toes and heels. Orange tracksuits. Iodized tools. Western-style grappling hooks. Open-toe Velcro foam boots.

Among those, I'd say the fishnet just fulfills the coolness factor? Cause nothing says manly like fishnets...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1