• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Couple Quick Questions!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
1.Does Joshua Seth (the voice actor of Tai Digimon) work in New York?

2.Is there a way to email him?

3.And has he worked with New York Anime Companies?

A. Media Blasters.
B. CPM.
C. 4Kids Entertainment.

4. When I watch tthe anime Network I hear the same voice actors from 4Kids that ADV uses, how come? The reason why I ask is because ADV is in Taxes and 4Kids is in New York!

5. And who is that girl ADV keeps on using in all there Dub's with that harsh annouing voice? She plays actually all the female magical girl leads, she was the Nun girl in Chrono crusade who loves and goes on missions with Chrono.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
4. When I watch tthe anime Network I hear the same voice actors from 4Kids that ADV uses, how come? The reason why I ask is because ADV is in Taxes and 4Kids is in New York!

Although it's not very common, some English VAs do work for more than one different company - or change the company they work for after a while.

Quote:
5. And who is that girl ADV keeps on using in all there Dub's with that harsh annouing voice? She plays actually all the female magical girl leads, she was the Nun girl in Chrono crusade who loves and goes on missions with Chrono.

I believe you're referring to Hilary Haag - although I wouldn't refer to her voice as "harsh" or "annoying."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
4. When I watch the Anime Network I hear the same voice actors from 4Kids that ADV uses, how come? The reason why I ask is because ADV is in Texas and 4Kids is in New York!

They're probably outsourcing, meaning they probably hire people outside of ADV now. That, or some of the 4Kids people actually work for ADV and 4Kids is outsourcing instead.

Laruto wrote:

Monical Rial? Oh, I'm sorry she's lispy, and when you said "that girl ADV keeps using in ALL their dubs," I thought it would've been a dead give away.

Hilaray Haag is the squeeky one. And Chris Patton is that piece of wood over there (*points to corner pile of lumber labeled "ADV voice actors" *). But yeah, Hilary Haag is the one that "plays" Rosette.
Juniper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:

I believe you're referring to Hilary Haag - although I wouldn't refer to her voice as "harsh" or "annoying."

A matter of taste, I suppose. I certainly find her to be both harsh and annoying. But that's not different from much of ADV's stable of voice actors, of which they use the same handful of 9 mediocre actors in every single anime they ever release.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I LIKE Chris Patton. And Greg Ayres. And Jay Hickman. And Illich Guardiola. And Mike MacRae. And a lot of the ADV actors including Monica Rial(LOVE her commentaries-she is a lot of fun). Yes, I prefer the West Coast guys(because they sound more natural to my SoCal ears), but ADV has some good VA's. My greatest complaints seem to be with the New York studios which seem to take greater liberties with the dubs(such as Maze where the director goes so far as to insist the dub has NOTHING to do with the original-any similarities in delivery are pure coincidence) And I've seen the negative comments applied to Japanese VA's by Japanese fans.

Yes, my list of fav English VA's is about 1/3 as long as my list of fav Japanese VA's. No, I don't buy anime I regularly wouldn't because of the American cast list as I have for the Japanese cast(the 3 Initial D dvds in my collection are only there because 1-used dvds only $9@ & 2-Takehito Koyasu & Tomokazu Seki.) Yes, I view a good English dub as a bonus, but if it really sucks, there's usually the Japanese track to fall back on, so no real loss. Yes, I've heard A LOT of dubs considering my anime collection has passed 1000 dvds & ADV probably accounts for a greater percentage of titles than anyone else(except maybe Media Blasters) since I seem to have similar tastes to ADV's licensing people.

Crystal Acids is a good place to go for American VA's-if they have a contact site-it's usually listed. There are only a couple titles in ADV's catalog that use actors outside their stable of Texas actors. Recently they seem to be going to the effort to retain some of the origianl actors on titles such as Crispin Freeman as Zelgadis for Slayers Premium & several of the original VA's from Soul Taker for Nurse Witch Komugi. Arc the Lad is a strange title since it uses Bang Zoom instead of the usual ADV crew-maybe many of them were associated with the games or maybe they were experimenting with outside subcontracting-their copyright is 2001 on that one.

Joshua Seth/Jeremiah Freedom has an e-mail address & a website listed at Crystal Acids. Media Blasters might be in New York, but they contract a LOT of stuff out to Animaze & Bang Zoom here in SoCal so you shouldn't be hearing those actors in the New York group. (Some of them were used in Scooby Doo 2 & Daran Norris, someone my daughter can pick out almost anywhere, was the announcer in Cat in the Hat & is a VA in Fairly OddParents besides a slew of anime voices like Dark Schneider/Bastard) You should hear Mr. Seth more often on CN since Bang Zoom did Kenshin & Cyborg 009 & Animaze did Trigun, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop & Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone, plus he did Dual(Animaze) & Last Exile(Bang Zoom) which were on G4. A few-Crispin Freeman & Christopher O'Brien among them-seem to have defected to LA & others from other groups move to New York. Sean Schemmel(Goku/Funi & thus usually Texas) is showing up in more 4Kids products suggesting he's moved or commuting(At least 1 ADV actress is a Flight Attendant so her sessions are scheduled around that) In the Saiyuki movie commentary they were saying how David Matranga has moved to New York so they won't likely be using him much anymore since it costs too much to fly the actors around for dubbing. Like anyone else, actors move around if they feel they can get more work somewhere else.
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
What about questions 1-3, has anyone have any clue on them?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
What about questions 1-3, has anyone have any clue on them?

I thought I did

http://www.crystalacids.com/database/actor/seth_joshua.html

has a pix & email address for him. Media Blasters may be a New York company, but it contracts out A LOT to the West Coast dubbing studios like Bang Zoom & Animaze that Joshua Seth often works for.
Bang Zoom appears to be located in Burbank, CA. Animaze is in Encino, CA. Point.360(Cyborg 009) is in Hollywood, CA. Sensation(Digimon) is in LA. Vidfilms(DNA Sights) is in Glendale, CA. Teleport(Pilot Candidate) is in LA(on Onizuka St. Interesting) Studio E(Saint Tail) is in LA. Network(Tenchi) is also LA. Arvintel is also LA.

I'd say he's West Coast.
Laruto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
Wow thanks you guys you've all been so nice sharing your information with me on what you know Koodles Wink
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.....Questions 1 though 3.....

STALKING is a bad habit! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Hmm.....Questions 1 though 3.....

STALKING is a bad habit! Smile

Unless you want to set up an interview. I probably should take down that info. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1