• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime better than the Manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
Often it seems that, in general, the original manga is better than the anime adaption that succeeds it. However, can anyone name an anime that surpassed the original manga? As more of a manga reader than an anime viewer, I was curious on everyone's opinion on this. One example I can think of is Trigun: everyone seems to say that the anime is far better than the manga. I haven't read it for myself, though.

In the other case, where a manga is adapted from a popular OVA or such, the original anime is better. It just seems to me that whichever media the original work comes from is the better of the two. But I'd like to hear some exceptions to this. Wink
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
This matter is HIGHLY opinion based - some people (like my roommate) prefer animes. I, on the other hand, prefer mangas. It's just a matter of taste really.

However, I think just about every AU Gundam series in manga form sucks. Wing went way to fast, G is ugly and too quick - the anime's are much better.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
One example I can think of is Trigun: everyone seems to say that the anime is far better than the manga. I haven't read it for myself, though.

Unfair comparison. Anime viewer have watch 26 episode of Trigun while most of them probably read 2 or 3 volume of Trigun. 2 or 3 volume doesnt' compare to 26 full lenth episode. Wait until at least 10 volume of TM before any real judgement can be made. The further you read into Trigun Maximum, the better the manga become.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Aah. So Trigun gets better over time? I was wondering about the popular opinion of the Trigun manga, because I was either going to buy the Trigun anime of the manga, and wasn't sure which form would be better, though ultimately I was going to try both at some point.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
After reading the entire Rayearth series and seeing almost all of the anime - save a few of the final episodes and the OVAs - I can honestley say that the anime is better. The manga is only 6 volumes long, and for a long two-part story, it's just too fast-paced, and doesn't leave enough time for character development. The anime is a lot longer and well drawn-out, not too slow and not too fast, and there's more character development and you get to see better development of the plot.

(Edit) I agree with the Gundam setiment, but I think we were just looking at manga that came before the anime, not after. The reason that Bebop and Gundam comics are very good is simply that they're cash-based tie-ins to the show, since the show was produced first. Likewise is why manga is usually, but not always, better than anime, because manga generally comes first and anime is based off of the popularity of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cell21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:03 am Reply with quote
There are some manga titles which are created after the anime.I my opinon suck.Such titles as :

Escaflowne manga
Cowboy bebop
FLCL

However, the majority of manga is so much better than the anime.This is becuase anime try to cram in all the character development and story into a 30 minute slot which in my opinion doesn't work well compared the manga when it keeps to it's steady pace and introduces the characters and story plot in detail. There are odd few titles such as Full Moon manga which requires the sound element needed for the audience to truley enjoy the effect from anime.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
There was another discussion of this topic a little while back, here, just in case you wanted to take a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I would have to say that the FLCL and Cowboy bebop animes, as well as magical shopping arcade abonashi, are better than their manga counterparts
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
To me I think its the first one someone sees is the best. I've seen some animes first and I have to say the manga isn't as good as the anime, but mangas I have read first then seen the anime I've tend to like the manga better. Then again I normally don't watch the anime counterpart after reading the manga and vise versa
Chiyo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
i definatley agree with Greiving Choas..."This matter is HIGHLY opinion based...It's just a matter of taste really."

I watch anime because the manga if kinda confusing...the way they write them in japan is confsuing, i read ahead once without noticing and i was like..."whats this, i dont get"...it happened when i was reading Saiyuki but now I got used to it and i definately like ANIME better the MANGA
1) the one i mentioned above (got confused reading it)
2) the anime is longer
3) you dont have to read....*wink* (sry teachers)
4) character development is better
5) its well drawn, color is fantastic and graphics,too i guess (like chobits, .hack, azumanga daioh)
the 3 animes i named have awesome "graphics" watch them and ull see

if u dont understandme sry, it usually happens....im only 13...

chobits
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope no one bashes me for saying this, but this is opinion-based. I thought that the "Sailor Moon" anime was far better than the manga. I know the manga has more of a story, but to me it just kept going and going and going and it just got me really bored to death...it sorta drags you could say. The anime however is somewhat more up there. However, I do prefer most animes than mangas but I just wanted to note this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
animeman51

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
This question is highly similar to the more general question of the comics medium vs. cinema. Each has a different set of strengths and principles. It usually depends on which medium the original product was designed for, or how the adaptation is handled. A common myth is that a straight adaptation is best, but sometimes things like style should be changed to take advanteges of the strength of the different medium. I could go on for hours...
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Mostly I prefer anime over manga because anime is always in motion and seems more interesting. But it always comes down to the people who LOVE to read will like manga better, and the people who HATE reading will like anime better. But for some, that's not the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
Slayer wrote:
Yeah I would have to say that the FLCL and Cowboy bebop animes, as well as magical shopping arcade abonashi, are better than their manga counterparts

The question asked for anime better than the manga it was based on. The examples you gave were manga based off anime.
Rio_Chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
HI! I just joined today and decided that this would be the first topic I replyed to! Cool

I personaly enjoy Manga more then Anime. To watch an anime involves little to no brain activity, it limits your creativity and involvement in the action. (Of course some people like that) I like manga because it forceses you to become involved mentaly and it strengthens your creativity.

This is just my opinion of course, I am sure that there are others who might disagree. Of course, thats the fun of opnions. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2