• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for a Slayers map.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mavrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm not sure where this thread should go, I'll just post it here and let the moderators deal with it if I'm wrong. Anyway, I am currently looking for a map of the Slayers world. I've looked at the ones on Inverse.org but they don't have anything with the amount of detail I'm looking for. I've searched the other English fan sites and have only found copies of the same maps. I was hoping that someone with a better understanding of Japanese would know where to find one on some of the non-English fan-sites.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
watch the opening and ending of the show. If I recall they show the map of the world.

Also they show the map of the world in some of the episodes.
Slayers nice. An actually good anime. Their is hope.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
They definitely show the "known world" map on Slayer Try's (3rd season) intro. It's at the very beginning. Also, they definitely show it in opening season one.

If you're looking for something with a lot of detail.... you may try rummaging through some of the manga. From what I remember about the maps shown in the anime series (or at least during the first 3 seasons) is that they are not very detailed and do not show many specific towns. I don't recall ever seeing a very detailed map of the world though and I've seen the first three seasons and the movies quite a number of times.

Out of curiosity, what do you need them for? BESM? If so, can I join? Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah if you want the BESM Slayers manual runs like $5 for the whole thing. Maybe worth the investment.
Mavrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Yeah if you want the BESM Slayers manual runs like $5 for the whole thing. Maybe worth the investment.

That's actually why I'm looking for a good map. I have the hardcover version of the Slayers D20 book, and they don't include a map just a picture of the lost continent from the opening of the first season. I have a good map of that area from Inverse.org, but I was hoping someone had seen a better version of the world map.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
I was actually referring to the BESM reference books found here
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=29

I'm not sure but they:

A. Couldn't hurt, as episode summaries, descriptions of character, villains and organization compiled into books seperated by season can't be a bad thing.

B. Have character sheets of existing characters already made for BESM 2nd Edition (some conversion work needed for d20 versions...)

C. Will very likely have a map.

The next best suggestion would be to find some map making software and make your own detailed map you want, on the plus side you already have a rough outline of where you want to be and probably as long as the major Slayer's universe cities, towns, and ruins are roughly in the place they "should be" everything else can be fine as long as you follow Schrodinger's Gun gaming tip which states: The state of anything in a Tabletop RPG that has not been observed by the players is undefined until the players' actions affect it. As only the most *ahem* "Hardcore" Slayers fan will throw a fit if something's wrong, for most people it's more the "feel" over accuracy unless it breaks the suspension of disbelief thing.

So that ancient ruins in the north could just as easily be the ancient ruin to the south, east, west as long as the players themselves don't know about it.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Mavrick wrote:
Since I'm not sure where this thread should go, I'll just post it here and let the moderators deal with it if I'm wrong. Anyway, I am currently looking for a map of the Slayers world. I've looked at the ones on Inverse.org but they don't have anything with the amount of detail I'm looking for. I've searched the other English fan sites and have only found copies of the same maps. I was hoping that someone with a better understanding of Japanese would know where to find one on some of the non-English fan-sites.

These persons made maps of the diégèse of Slayers.
Since they are Japanese sites, you have to read Japanese texts, though.

http://alice.chihana.net/contents/slay/database/map-detail.html
http://alice.chihana.net/contents/slay/database/map.html
http://lostpage.blog95.fc2.com/blog-entry-316.html
http://lostpage.blog95.fc2.com/blog-entry-346.html
http://lostpage.blog95.fc2.com/blog-entry-350.html
http://lostpage.blog95.fc2.com/blog-entry-351.html
http://lostpage.blog95.fc2.com/blog-entry-355.html

Mavrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
Aha! That more like what I wanted. It will take some work, but those maps will do nicely. Thanks!
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:40 am Reply with quote
So uh.... about me joining in that game.... that's totally happening right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mavrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

That depends, man. How long does it take to drive from Florida to West Coast Canada?
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
uuh whats besm ? Smile
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
uuh whats besm ? Smile

It's an acronym for Big Eyes, Small Mouth that uses the Tri-Stat system and has three editions. First two were published by the Guardians of Order, a Canadian gaming company that also made a version of their BESM system to the D20 system (Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 ruleset) and licensed both Trigun and Slayers properties to make pencil and paper rpgs. They are unfortunately out of business but the 3rd edition of BESM and the rights to older BESM works (and thus legal pdf downloads for sale) are handled by Arhaus Games, a subsidiary of White Wolf Publishing.

Latest Edition can be found here- http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=24482&it=1&filters=500_100_1100_0
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Mavrick wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

That depends, man. How long does it take to drive from Florida to West Coast Canada?

1) not a man (but that's fine, you didn't know. Smile
2) we can totally get some IM thing going with like web cams, right???? right?

Please don't leave me out! I've been looking for a BESM group for ages!!!! Anime cry I'm totally never getting anyone to play with me around here, am I? Makes me sad. Anime cry
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Mavrick wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

1) not a man (but that's fine, you didn't know. Smile
2) we can totally get some IM thing going with like web cams, right???? right?

Please don't leave me out! I've been looking for a BESM group for ages!!!! Anime cry I'm totally never getting anyone to play with me around here, am I? Makes me sad. Anime cry

Well apparently you have not heard of Spielerz, a kind of "dating" service that helps GMs find players and vice-versa. Website http://spielerz.com/
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
omg - thank you SO MUCH!

I signed up and I'll search and see if I can find people.

You were absolutely right, though, I had not heard of that site at all. Hopefully, my searches will prove fruitful. Anime smile Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2