• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is the objectionable content in Kino's Journey?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
I was going through TRSI's 12 Days sale and noticed Kino's Journey for $14. I'd heard some good things about it so I am considering it, but in ANN's info page it is listed as Objectionable content:Significant.

I just want to know what the objectionable content is and how much of it is there. Feel free to spoil it since this seems like a series that can be enjoyed even knowing the plot/outcome.

Thanks,
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote
First of all, I would like to applaud you for your excellent taste. Kino's Journey is a fantastic, wonderful show, one of the best I've seen. It's also rare to see a female protagonist be so strong, independent and level-headed.

I really don't want to be throwing out spoilers, so even under the spoiler tags I'll try and be cautious.

spoiler[Kino herself kills people, although most deaths are caused by others. In one episode an entire town is wiped out by a natural disaster, children and all. Rabbits are skinned on-screen. There are cannibalistic slave traders. There is a no-hold-barred battle-royal fight mid-season; people are forced to participate in it or be consigned to a lifetime of slavery. One village 'fixes' the problem of troublesome children by brutally killing them and ends up lynching a man to death. Hundreds of people are slaughtered by the armies of two opposing nations.]

Uh, that's all I can remember right now, but I think there was more. At any rate, not for kiddies.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
You can watch the first two episodes as a guest on TAN:
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Kino-s-Journey/Watch

Luckily, the second is the one that deals with the spoiler[ cannibalism].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Spoilers aside, Kino's Journey is basically about Kino journeying through different countries focused on some philosophical element focused around the human condition. While some of the countries and people Kino encounters can be encouraging or a bit on the bizarre side, the objectionable content involves Kino's encounters with the darker elements of humanity as she usually finds herself having to resort to violence when her life is endangered and the series can get quite violent and disturbing at points as the mentioned spoiler tags highlight. Despite its somewhat kiddy-like animation style, its violence and subject matter is best appropriate for older teens and older to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all very much for the info and the link (I tried to watch the eps on ANN, but the streamer crashed my machine, I did not have the same problem with TAN).

I figured the objectionable content would be violence and I thought it would be along the lines of NTHT (kiddie-like animation with mature topics and medium graphic content (unless it gets much more graphic than Ep 2)).

Once again thanks (and TRSI thanks you for an additional sale).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1