• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any tips for watching subs?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andromada369

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
As someone who only watches dubs, anyone have any tips for watching subs?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm going to assume the request is based on carrying all the opinions of everyone on the subject, preventing you from forming a reason to justify watching a sub-only title.

First and foremost: learn to skim. Not because there isn't enough time to read all the text, but skimming will allow you to get the quick context of what's going on and spare some time to see what's going on. English sucks as a language, because it's filled with more words in a sentence than has to be there.

*cough*

Second: interest is important. If you're not engaged in the series, you're less likely to want to read what's going on.

Third: Start with a dub you're familiar with. Flip the language track to Japanese and turn on the subtitles. It's a good way to ease into the transition, as well as learn to skim.

WARNING! The translation's you'll read are not always the words you'll remember, unless the series was "dubtitled", where the dub was the source for the translation, not the Japanese.

Fourth: Pet a cat.

Fifth: Enjoy yourself. What's the point in doing something if the attitude is negative? If you're not willing to invest into a hobby you enjoy because a dub's missing, that's for you to determine if you want to stay in it.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Fourth: Pet a cat.
Most important step for anything in life.

Also like anything in life, getting proficient at watching subs is mostly just a matter of doing it. Relax, enjoy yourself, and it'll happen on its own.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
At first you'll spend more time focusing on reading and you'll miss at lot of the visuals but that's normal. Eventually you'll be able to absorb both sets of input at once. It just takes some time.

My brother is also trying to watch sub only stuff and finds it best that he only watches 3 or so episodes over the course of the week. So be sure to pace yourself.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
As someone who prefers subs over dubs, I feel compelled to say the following: Only watch/read subs if you want to. I, myself, watch subs because it gets me closer to the meaning of the Japanese track than the dub usually does. Your mileage (very obviously) will vary. Here is an idea: Watch the English dub with English subtitles turned on (this is assuming that the subtitles are not "dub"-titles) before listening to the Japanese track.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd suggest that you start with something that has slower-paced dialog and remain prepared to pause and rewind. The skill you'll want to work on is being able to read the entirety of the line on the screen before you actually decode its meaning; you can't rely on the line staying put while you process it(even if it does, the ability will let you spend more time "heads up"). It takes practice, but you'll learn to keep up in good time.

On the other hand, if you're confident in your speedreading abilities, you can always watch an episode of Teekyu as an acid test.

PS: I generally don't watch subtitles when dubs are available, so any advice I can give you would ignore the English track.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

On the other hand, if you're confident in your speedreading abilities, you can always watch an episode of Teekyu as an acid test.

now that's just evil
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I recommend Tatami Galaxy. Hard core is the way to go.

It's funny, I don't think I had any issues switching from dubs to subs. I don't even remember what anime I first watched in Japanese. Probably Fushigi Yugi - that English dub stunk of nasty toe jam. When I was a younger (snobby) fan, I had issues switching back to English dubs. But now I can watch either or. I tend to prefer subs, but I still like the dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The more classic test of subtitle speed reading is Excel Saga, especially if one also has the DVDs with the on-screen notes feature and has it turned on.

Seriously, though, if you're not used to subtitles then watching a few episodes first with both the English dub and the subtitles on is a good way to transition yourself into it. "Dubtitles" are fairly rare, so those shouldn't be a big concern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
^The Bakemonogatari release might give that one a run for it's money.

Vaisaga wrote:
At first you'll spend more time focusing on reading and you'll miss at lot of the visuals but that's normal. Eventually you'll be able to absorb both sets of input at once. It just takes some time.

This is simply not true for everyone. I've been watching them for like ten years. When exactly will I unlock this mystical hidden power? I just can't combine the "read mode" with the "watch mode".

As for the topic, all I can say is you'll be able to make fantastic use out of your player's pause button but your finger might get tired after prolonged viewing sessions.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
andromada369

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to take a whack at Drgon crisis! as my first subbed anime. It's a short series that's been on my radar for a little while.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
My suggestion is to start off with a slow-paced slice of life type of show.

Ristorante Paradiso is an excellent choice for first-time subtitle watching. That's the first sub-only series I ever bought, and it's pretty easy to follow.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Nah, I recommend Tatami Galaxy. Hard core is the way to go.
Yikes. I didn't know Japanese could be spoken that fast till I watched Tatami Galaxy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes, The Tatami Galaxy is the modern litmus test for how well you can keep up with subtitles. It is easily at the level of Excel Saga in terms of dialogue speed.

It's also a bloody good show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
andromada369 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to take a whack at Drgon crisis! as my first subbed anime. It's a short series that's been on my radar for a little while.
I think that is a good choice, I too started off subs with a Rie Kugimiya show as well. Just don't be afraid to pause quite a bit when you start, in a way I was going to recomend you watch something that caught your eye but is only subbed, it can be a good motivator. I had the same thing with Zero no Tsukaima.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2