• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
live action kenshin?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
No no no im not clairvoyant nor do i have some inside scoop; what i do have though is an idea. After having recently watched spectacular sword fighting sequences in the movie Hero, i began to wonder if Kenshin movie could be done in the same manner. For those of you who have seen the movie or even any other recent martial arts film, voice your opinion, do you think a kenshin live action movie could be done well or could any other anime series for that matter?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really care for Hero all that much. If a live action version of Kenshin was to ever be made I'd like to see it done by Beat Takeshi along the same style as he did Zatoichi.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi was lacklust, well in comparison to the old Zatoichi classic.

Do we really need a live action kenshin movie? Would it even stay true the the original?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I like Hero a lot (not the Miramax version), and I like Kenshin a lot too, but as much as I like them both I would NOT like to see a Kenshin movie in the style of Hero; mainly because the choreography in Hero is Chinese wu xia, and would probably not suit a Japanese style of martial arts (unless Ching Siu-Tung actually knows any of it).

Plus there's all the production implications like who'd direct it, produce it, who'd write it, who'd star, what kind of music and who would compose it, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm sure to some of those out there who may be familiar with keeping literary works (or in this case anime) in a more believable form, making a live action Kenshin seems like it'd be a one shot thing and they wouldn't want to see it fail or something.

But then again GTO live action was awesome, and I guess Pretty Gaurdian Sailor Moon has its fair share of fans (though I haven't seen that one).

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
On a good budget, hell yeah I think someone could make a good live action out of the series. And now that you've brought it up, I think there is a lacking of good samurai action movies out right now. The ones I have seen, are a rendition of samurai movies with a modern twist to make them more "hip", if you know what I mean.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
i was also thinking that the weapons used in Kenshin are likely to be much heavier than the swords used in Hero which would make the fight scenes that much harder to choreograph and also make them appear to be much slower. This presents a MAJOR problem as the Hiten Mitsurugi used by Kenshin emphasizes god like speed.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi was lacklust, well in comparison to the old Zatoichi classic.

I actually liked Takeshi's take on Zatoichi because it was lackluster. Quick and simple fights are a nice change of pace as opposed to movies that like to drag sword fights on for 10+ minutes.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
Mitsuhide A. wrote:
i was also thinking that the weapons used in Kenshin are likely to be much heavier than the swords used in Hero which would make the fight scenes that much harder to choreograph and also make them appear to be much slower. This presents a MAJOR problem as the Hiten Mitsurugi used by Kenshin emphasizes god like speed.

That depends. A friend of mine got a semi-replica of the sword Jet Li used in Hero. Aside from the colors being different and the blade not being sharp enough to cut, it was still heavy and not easy to weild like Jet Li did.

One of two things are likely here:

1) The sword in the movie was the kind of fake that was also lightweight and Mr. Li just did a good job with the choreography.

2) If the sword was actually as heavy as the one my friend has, then Jet Li is strong and skillful enough to use the full scale version, and they probably just sped up the camera to make what might've actually been slow, look fast.

In any case, there are lots of effects that can also be implicated to cover up these props and make them look or sound more realistic. I'm sure if the production crew hired good enough sound/visual effects people, you could easily pull of a believable Battoujutsu technique with a fake katana.
philg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
NO no no no no!! It doesn't matter if anyone directs a live actiob Kenshin it would never be as good! If Takeshi Kitano or Ang Lee or any other martial arts, eastern director made a live action kenshin movie, it would have to change completely to the anime version. The anime has everything an anime viewer wants! If you took it to a hollywood film company or any money-seeking film company they'd alter it (naturally) to make it suit western viewers who want to see good action and not good anime! I'm not making much sense am I? But still it would be a complete flop, jsut because it's famous within the anime industry doesn't mean it'll be as good or better anywhere else.
Although... I'll tell you one anime that should be made into live action: Patlabor 1, 2 and 3! That would be completely awesome, it would attract so many western viewers, not only is it about terroirists and lots of action (which sooo in right now in Hollywood and everywhere) but it would make a lot of money because of the trilogy format. Wink (plus two of them are directed by Mamoru Oshii and he's quite famous everywhere...
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
There are so many other live action projects that should be produced before a Kenshin adaptation. Cowboy Bebop for one,Giant Robo,Gatchaman (especially) or maybe even Last Exile. Can you imagine the glorious dogfight scenes along with airship battles?!? After witnessing the decent CGI effects used for the Casshern movie, Last Exile sounds like a potentual.

Patlabor would make an interesting Movie, but with it's lack of emphasis on "high octane action" it might alienate most viewers.
Oh well as a compensation, atleast Evangelion is in the works. Razz
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quote
I'd think a Live Action Version of Kenshin would be something like Abarenbo Shogun (A J-Drama where a Tokugawa Shogun (Shogun Yoshimune) goes undercover as a commoner to fight crime in Edo.) only bastarized with outlandish weaponry and characters.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
There are so many other live action projects that should be produced before a Kenshin adaptation. ... Giant Robo ...

Heh! Did you know that the Giant Robo anime is actually a remake of a Live Action television series?
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:
There are so many other live action projects that should be produced before a Kenshin adaptation. ... Giant Robo ...

Heh! Did you know that the Giant Robo anime is actually a remake of a Live Action television series?

No, i had no idea lol.....until now. Gotta check this one out for it's utter "chessy-ness" alone.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Generally, my current feelings are that Anime + Live Action = Pure Crap Concentrate. So far nothing I've seen has been any good, but I have faith that eventually there's going to be one worth watching, at least the Law of Probabillity is on our side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2