• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DBZ Movie 1 re-release.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at the May releases for FUNimation and noticed they're re-releasing the first movie. I guess they want people who are use to their crappy DBZ dub to buy this too.

Not that I have anything against it since I already have the English adaptation produced entirely uncut and with infinitely better voice actors released by Pioneeer when they still had the rights, but other than changing the orginal score for the dub music and casting bad voices and roughing it up even more with bad scripting, what's the point?

Their name is already on the first version, so why try to make more money off something that's not even as good in comparison to the original?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Higher video quality and uhh... they can?

I mean, who's to say they won't keep the original English track, considering that they do own it? It just means that they'll actually be able to release it entirely under their own name, and that it'll actually be available.

also
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Augh. Personally, I can't remember much about the series, except the voice acting got completely horrendous after they changed virtually 70% of the original dub voice actors. To add on, I don't believe that the original Japanese track is even that good.

But yeah. They're defiently milking this release for what it's worth.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Augh. Personally, I can't remember much about the series, except the voice acting got completely horrendous after they changed virtually 70% of the original dub voice actors. To add on, I don't believe that the original Japanese track is even that good.

But yeah. They're defiently milking this release for what it's worth.

Actually, they changed 100% of the voice actors. AFAIK they just couldn't afford the Canadian voicing by Ocean, so they went and hired from Texas or some-such. The Japanese music... eh.

No, if they were milking it for all it's worth, Pioneer would do a release, then a "special" re-release, then a remastered re-release, and then FUNi would get the same kinda deal there too. What FUNimation are doing is actually making these first 3 films available to people (they are now out of print, and have been since August 2003, same with the Saiyan/Namek sagas), and actually releasing the first 68 or so episodes in the way they were intended to be.

Though the price/disc-count doesn't give me high hopes.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Actually, they changed 100% of the voice actors. AFAIK they just couldn't afford the Canadian voicing by Ocean, so they went and hired from Texas or some-such. The Japanese music... eh.

No, if they were milking it for all it's worth, Pioneer would do a release, then a "special" re-release, then a remastered re-release, and then FUNi would get the same kinda deal there too. What FUNimation are doing is actually making these first 3 films available to people (they are now out of print, and have been since August 2003, same with the Saiyan/Namek sagas), and actually releasing the first 68 or so episodes in the way they were intended to be.

Though the price/disc-count doesn't give me high hopes.

100%? Seriously?

The Japanese Music though... did make me laugh like hell. Don't ask why.

And yeah. I guess they're not really milking it that much. August 2003 doesn't seem long enough of a time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Higher video quality and uhh... they can?

I mean, who's to say they won't keep the original English track, considering that they do own it? It just means that they'll actually be able to release it entirely under their own name, and that it'll actually be available.

also

Dude, the first series of episodes was called the Saiyan Saga, what's the deal with Funi renaming the saga? Eh, either way...unedited Pioneer DVDs would be better...I wish I could see the Ocean dubs, but I can't find them anyway...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Well I know they're re-releasing the Saiyin and Namek boxes, but I can only hope they try and keep the first three movies the same.

Actually, since I already have them, I probably shouldn't even care. I'm happy with the Pioneer ones, though I also would like to get the first Saiyin box before they become really hard to find (just for collector's sake Razz).

The video and sound quality aren't that bad on these Pioneer versions either, but hey, whatever they wanna' do I guess...
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
They're redubbing the first three movies and Season 1.

The only positive point I see is that the sub will be out.

The dub for the first movies had the original music, I think, and they'll rip this out.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:

The dub for the first movies had the original music, I think, and they'll rip this out.

Not nessecerally, as the dubs still fit the films (unlike the frist and second seasons Ocean dubs), and still belongs to FUNi, plus others are familiar with it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
what's the deal with Funi renaming the saga?

People know what to expect?

I hope this release follows though past the first two seasons and we begin to see the replacement of every current volume of the DBZ TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1