• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Sword Swingin Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solid4ever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
I was gonna say "Samurai Anime" but some people might mistake that for a specific Samurai anime and not include like ninja scroll

ever since the Champloo release i've been crazy into oldschool, shogunate samurai swingin, ninja animes

help a brother out kids...which are your favs

mine lately:

Samurai Champloo

Rurouni Kenshin OAV's (tv series to a lesser extent)

Ninja Scroll (obviously)

Samurai Deeper Kyo (wicked story)

Naruto (not really a samurai movie but the ninja techniques are awesome...especially the total ninja universe they create)

Berserk! (Gatsu owns...shitty ending)
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
You might want to invest in the manga for Berserk and Samurai Deeper Kyo. Both are far superior to the anime, so if you like SDK and Beserk, then you'll love the manga version even more. The ending of Berserk doesn't suck because it's not finish it (there's still more story) and SDK manga doesn't have all that stupid monster, the bad guys are pretty cool.

As for anime with good swordplay, I think you'll like Samurai 7 and Otogizoushi are good one to look out for in 2005.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Solid4ever wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin OAV's (tv series to a lesser extent)

Just so you know, Kenshin is not a samurai. He's just a swordsman/assassin (at one point), but never was he a 100% bona fide, Shougun serving, samurai. He fought against those kinds of people, remember?
Solid4ever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
theres always one textbook guy in the group

thanks for the history lesson Tony K

Jk man...i'm just talking about how i like "Ancient Japan" ninja/samurai/assassin/whatever you want to call it anime right now...do u know of any?
Solid4ever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
yeah i definately like the Manga Berserk. The story line after the anime ends is definately sweet (and worth animation) but something about pictures that move and make noise is far cooler then the black and white read fest of manga books. call me lazy

I've never checked out the SDK manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Solid4ever wrote:
theres always one textbook guy in the group

thanks for the history lesson Tony K

Ha, ha. I can barely keep up with college let alone be a textbook guy. The only things I read even close to textbooks are Sports Illustrated, maybe a few gaming magzines should I ever cross them, and manga (if I had any besides the one that came with a DVD) Wink.

Quote:
jk man...i'm just talking about how i like "Ancient Japan" ninja/samurai/assassin/whatever you want to call it anime right now...do u know of any?

That's cool, I like that whole era of history a lot myself. As for more titles, try Peack Maker Kurogane. It takes place during the Bakumatsu (Revolution) as you saw in the first Kenshin OAV.

I've only seen the first volume, but you may like it as the story revolves around The Shinsengumi.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:14 am Reply with quote
Probabally Rurouni Kenshin, though I haven't been able to finish it all yet. Inu Yasha would, I quess, qualify as well, and Ninja Scroll was good.
Krelian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin. Can't even think of another really sword-swingin' focused anime that I really liked. Well, face it, Samurai Deeper Kyo simply sucked.
Solid4ever

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
i loved Samurai Deeper Kyo...the beginning sucked you right in...half way through it lost a little momentum but it had really likable characters
Solid4ever

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
i really enjoy these long winded Anime's that just stick around...Naruto for one. There always seems to be another episode to watch

but i've never gotten down with Inuyasha...the story line seems cool enough but something about it seems too kindergarten to me. I keep expecting a pokemon to pop out somewheres or that stupid Yu-Gi-Oh kid to throw a card at Kagome. How are the movies/OAV's
Nionel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd say for Inuyasha I like the movies a lot better than the series, as the series just gets far too repetitive after awhile...

As far as anything else goes, as Tony K. said, Peacemaker is good, othert that you may want to check out Bleach, it doesn't exactly go with the whole Samurai/Ninja formula, but it's still a pretty good action show
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Rurouni Kenshin is all I can really remember right now. Inuyasha is all right too although I've been having a falling out with it. Bleach is good too although its not really about swords, he just has one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Solid4ever

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for mentioning that...i forgot to list it in my originals...great story
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Solid4ever wrote:
but i've never gotten down with Inuyasha...the story line seems cool enough but something about it seems too kindergarten to me. I keep expecting a pokemon to pop out somewheres or that stupid Yu-Gi-Oh kid to throw a card at Kagome. How are the movies/OAV's

The series has it's good points when the gang actually tries to hunt down Naraku, but the problem with the show is that it's WAY too long and full of pointless filler. Although some of it may be cool or funny, I still feel that having so much of it really kills the series to a point.

The movies range from Good to Excellent for me. Movie 1 is Good; not my favorite, but acts a lot like one of those filler episodes with a really lame villain and even dumber henchmen (or in this case women). And like a lot of the other episodes, it was the "love" that IY and Kagome supposedly share that gets them out of losing.

Movie 2 is better, in fact I say it's Very Good. Although it retains that same theme of "love overcoming all," it was written much better and had a more decent storyline. Unlike the first movie, it also had Naraku serving a purpose, a big one, which is a lot better than that crappy Chinese demon in the first movie.

Movie 3 is Excellent. It concentrates less on the romance and more on action and drama. And top of that it's finally got Sesshoumaru in it Anime hyper! The movie serves as a GREAT change of pace from the series and previous movies, in my opinion. It's much more action oriented and has a really pretty ending song too Anime smile.

But yeah, I've seen almost all of the TV series (I'm on like, 158) and it seems they always find a way to draw the series out more and more. I'm not sure if this is Sunrise's or Takahashi-sensei's fault, but I wish the overall story could've been better Sad.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I love Samurai Champloo.
You know how mr. Sparkle is Homer?
Jin is to me what Mr Sparkle is to Homer.

That and I just love the 4 episodes I've seen arleady.

But umm do sunflowers have a smell?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1