• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What to do with anime backlog?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm with most people here. If you can't get through them stop buying. I hover at about 10-15 in my "to watch" box and I keep up with it ontop of my schedule of the shows in my collection, books and whatever my girlfriend wants me to watch/read.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I've built a policy of buying only what I like enough to watch more than once... but at the same time, always buy what I want to watch more than once, to support the industry.

By nature, that means I have to have watched it before buying. I may end up missing out on some great shows that way, when they go out of print without my having ever watched them, but that's far better than blind buying shows that I end up not caring about or even ever watching.

I'm glad that streaming is around, but that isn't always available.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
I'm so greatfull you took the time to tell me this. Its so informative. I just can't see why anyone would not like you around here. Selflessly posting these pearls of wisdom. Rolling Eyes

-End of sarcasm-

Is that better for you?

Gee, you appear to have a spear stuck halfway up your arse. Might want to see a doctor about that.

You say you were being sarcastic but you were simply being a dick to the OP. Your post did nothing to help and was just plain rude. There was no call for sarcasm and now you're getting defensive when you should be apologising to the OP. What a lovely person you've turned out to be.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Prioritize!

I sort my backlog into three categories: High, medium and low priority. Don't force yourself to watch the low priority stuff. That'll just slow you down in the long run. So focus mostly on the high priority stuff even if you got it more recently. At least you'll get that stuff done and at worst be left with a bunch of minor stuff that you don't even care as much if you ever get to.
4750G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot of anime backlog, too. What I do is I pick out a series I feel like watching, and I don't stop until I'm done. That way, I immediately cross it off my list. If I stop watching halfway, I won't ever finish, as I've learned from experience; some other anime sparks my interest and the need to finish first anime is buried beneath the want to watch new anime. If you keep watching new shows without ever finishing anything, you'll never finish.

I also tried going through my list alphabetically. It's kinda helpful, if you really just want to get rid of your backlog. At least you have a systematic approach.

What would really help is if you take a break from whatever you're doing and start watching stuff. At the same time, don't add on to your already long list of shows to watch.

Of course, that only applies if you really, really want to get rid of your anime backlog. I personally am not in any way pressured to finish early. I watch when I want to watch. I don't mind that my list isn't getting shorter. Although I am avoiding making it longer. Good luck! Smile
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree on limiting yourself to a certain number of shows, but one seems extreme. I rewatched Kaiba over the summer (an absolutely brilliant anime, by the way) and it was an amazing experience. Still, it's the kind of show that really needs to be spaced out and watched only when in the right mood to fully enjoy.

Fast action shows, slower shows, more challenging shows, tense shows, and relaxing shows all benefit from different states of mind.
Jon182

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate all the advice and help given, thanks. It's interesting to note how other people are dealing with the backlog issue.

@Errinundra(cool name by the way) I'd have to say that I'm both a collector and a watcher. I try to collect anime that I've enjoyed and some recommended blind buys. I think consumerism is a problem...and self-restraint is admirable. Of course, if self-restraint were to run rampant, people would stop buying new things, and we would devolve into an agrarian society of stone age Luddites(just kidding).

@One Eye. I'm limited in the amount of time I can watch anime. My parents are usually watching the telly. I have an old Sony Trinitron and a wonky DVD player in my room. If I want to watch anime reliably, on bluray, I have to wait until everyone's gone to bed. Maybe it's time to invest in a new TV...ugh.

@dtm42 Thanks for the support, I appreciate it, really. Having said that I don't think Bright_Spear was trying to be a d*ck. I thought he was kind of funny(maybe it's the Dean Winchester pic). I've learned not to get too riled up by what people say on an anonymous internet forum. If things get really out of hand, I'm sure the mods would step in.

As for everyone else I didn't have time to reply to, thanks. It's nice to know that this is a relatively sane forum, with a modicum of civility and useful advice.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
I used to have a huge anime backlog, but I finally decided I wanted to tackle it, so I made it my little personal project.

First off, if I started something and didn't like it, I didn't force myself to finish it, and I would just sell it. I sold anything I wouldn't watch again or that I was not really attached to as well. (I then spent all the money on figures.)

I tried not to start more than 1 or 2 titles without finishing them first, and it is good to take breaks from the longer series to finish some short series. I also sometimes watched things on 1.5 speed. School Rumble was particularly funny that way.

Try to watch whatever suits your mood or if you can't decide, start alphabetically.

Once my backlog got smaller, I separated it out from the rest of my collection to remind me what I needed to watch.

Now I only buy things I am sure I really want, and I prioritize the limited editions and things that are on sale.

That is how I dealt with my anime backlog. I hope you have fun watching yours.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
I've built a policy of buying only what I like enough to watch more than once... but at the same time, always buy what I want to watch more than once, to support the industry.

By nature, that means I have to have watched it before buying. I may end up missing out on some great shows that way, when they go out of print without my having ever watched them, but that's far better than blind buying shows that I end up not caring about or even ever watching.

I'm glad that streaming is around, but that isn't always available.

Same here, I personally only buy things I've seen, and only those I've rated within the top 3 ranks, Masterpiece, Excellent, or Very Good. This sort of reduces my physical backlog. Right now my backlog consists of only two things, none of which are even anime. If I ever have an anime backlog it's only because I bought multiple things at once, and it's usually watched within a week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Prioritize!

I sort my backlog into three categories: High, medium and low priority. Don't force yourself to watch the low priority stuff. That'll just slow you down in the long run. So focus mostly on the high priority stuff even if you got it more recently. At least you'll get that stuff done and at worst be left with a bunch of minor stuff that you don't even care as much if you ever get to.

Laughing I thought I was the only one who did this. I also maintain a separate list of titles I have seen in their entirety via streaming and subsequently bought the physical release. I mainly did this for psychological reason: it was more acceptable to have four smaller lists rather than one huge one.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, lists, I know them well, they're an excellent feature of this site. Personally, I have like 60 custom lists, most of which are not public but simply there for my whim. It started with categorization of medium, Series, Movies, OVAs because when I wanted to look up something specific it was a huge pain in the scroll wheel finger to find something in my massive seen All list. Anime dazed

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Ah yes, lists, I know them well, they're an excellent feature of this site. Personally, I have like 60 custom lists, most of which are not public but simply there for my whim.

I've got 65 custom lists, of which 24 are public. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
Okay you win. Aparrently we were having a contest? Confused
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Bah, amateurs. I have one...

*puts pinky up to mouth*

...million lists!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Okay you win. Aparrently we were having a contest? Confused

It compensates for my inadequacies elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4