• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for Chess manga with anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Are there any manga based around the WESTERN game of Chess? preferably one with an anime adaptation.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
No. At least not to my knowledge. There are entire manga magazines in Japan that are dedicated to gambling and game-related manga, so one about chess may exist, but if it does, it probably hasn't even been fan-translated, let alone released legally.

Personally, I think a proper manga/anime about theatre needs to happen =<.
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
i just want to know if there is one at all at this point
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there sort of a chess based theme to MAR? Other than that I doubt you'll have much luck. More than likely the closest you'll get will be a shogi based manga, and even then I can't think of any off the top of my head.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
what about one with just an anime no manga?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
Honestly man, in all likelihood such a thing doesn't exist in any medium. It's such an obscure idea and although I myself enjoy Chess it sounds like it would make a fantastically boring TV show. I really really doubt anyone has made such a thing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's such an obscure idea and although I myself enjoy Chess it sounds like it would make a fantastically boring TV show.

That's what was said about Hikaru no Go. A Manga about a board game played only by old people? Yeah, like that's ever going to be popular.

Oh wait, wasn't Hikaru no Go very popular? Yes it was; twenty-two million copies sold is not too shabby. And didn't the Manga single-handedly spark a new wave of Go appreciation among young people, resulting in dozens of Go clubs being established at schools and Universities across Japan? That is correct. And didn't the Anime further inspire Westerners to get into Go, or at least drastically heighten awareness of Go among those who watched the show? Anecdotal evidence (basically, from what I've seen) would suggest that is true.

All in all, Hikaru no Go was successful and influential, and it did that by telling a great story and having great characters. It proves that such stories are not necessarily doomed to fail. Assuming the Japanese don't mind a story about Western Chess, then yeah, it could work and be popular. I'm not saying it will, just that you shouldn't automatically write off such a concept.

Here is a good read for anyone interested why Hikaru no Go is a great show despite the seemingly inane concept.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1