• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
King of RPGs: Big Manga Giveaway!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey everybody,

Do you want some extra manga for the holidays? Do you like RPGs (messageboard, console, MMO, tabletop)?

I'm the author of "King of RPGs", drawn by Victor Hao, an upcoming manga-influenced graphic novel series about tabletop roleplaying. I'm doing a contest where I'm giving away a whole bunch of graphic novels (and some dice and RPG supplements) to the people who send me the most interesting role-playing game characters!

The contest link and details are here:

http://www.kingofrpgs.com/?p=331

And here's a bunch of photos of

http://www.kingofrpgs.com/?p=367

If you're into manga or graphic novels, please check it out! Fellow gamers, please represent!

All the best,

Jason Thompson
kingofrpgs.com
Manga: The Complete Guide
365 Days of Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Have you ever considered doing something less directly 'manga inspired'? Looking at your art page I notice some of the less manga-ish sketches are actually pretty nice. The others are pretty generic though.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Have you ever considered doing something less directly 'manga inspired'? Looking at your art page I notice some of the less manga-ish sketches are actually pretty nice. The others are pretty generic though.

I'm not sure what art you're talking about, but King of RPGs is a parody of shonen manga (both generally and of specific titles), so I wanted it to have shonen-manga-esque artwork.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
I was referring to the 'sketches and art' page on your website.

If it's intended as a parody then I can see where you're coming from. It says on your site that it's a 'drama'. I guess that's tongue in cheek.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

If it's intended as a parody then I can see where you're coming from. It says on your site that it's a 'drama'. I guess that's tongue in cheek.

It's a drama about a young boy's pure-hearted, fiery struggle to be the World's Greatest Dungeon Master. To say more, or to reveal the location of my tongue, would be spoilers. -_-
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
Oh, like Shin Seikimatsu Honshi Book*Man, but with RPGs? I'm looking forward to this Very Happy
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

It's a drama about a young boy's pure-hearted, fiery struggle to be the World's Greatest Dungeon Master. To say more, or to reveal the location of my tongue, would be spoilers. -_-

Well that's an easy one, let the players tell the story, you just put in the hooks and watch them go....

And either be or know a "rules lawyer" it makes things easier. As a DM try to follow the "RAW" approach to avoid arguments but remember your word is final. Also always roll your dice behind a screen, makes it easier to "fudge" the dice in the players favor if need be, as opposed to rolling out in the open, see RAW for reason why.

Occasionally if you want to psyche your players, roll a die behind your screen and act like your writing something down (or you could work ahead and roll initiatives/saves in advance...) makes them think something happening, just don't use it too much or they might miss something that is actually happening (which may comeback to bite them.)

And master the art of randomness/thinking on the fly. Players have an amazing knack for destroying the most carefully laid plot lines and you need to be ready to explain what's there and go with it (as opposed to railroading, which is bad.)

As you can guess I've got a bit of experience in this, but I'm not much of a manga fan so the contest doesn't excite me as much. In this case I'd be interested in the RPG books but my concern is that I'd already have them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1