• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paranoia Agent

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamicase13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the 13 episode of paranoia agent, and i must say that the serie is excellent Exclamation Exclamation Cool . Since ep 3 i was hooked. Brilliant History with mind playing plot and characters.

If you have seen it complete or part of it, post you impressions.

I give it a 8.5 out of 10.

cya all.
oberkorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:29 am Reply with quote
Review of Volume 1 can now be seen here
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3239.php
I'm getting this one in October, just try stoping me Wink
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I showed one of my friends Paranoia Agent, and he told me that he felt like Satoshi Kon was raping his mind.

Me, I thought it was the best anime series to come around in a long, long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
A tad bit harsh, wouldn't you say Laughing
But it really is an amazing series that has built up quite a buzz and hopefully will do well when its realeased over here.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
kamicase13 wrote:

I give it a 8.5 out of 10.

What did you like about it? Lets get some discussion going here instead of just some vagues statements and a rating...
JeTmAn81

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:46 am Reply with quote
I watched this series recently and found it both perplexing and fascinating. I think one thing that has to be said is that the series as a whole should be taken metaphorically. Certain things like spoiler[the death of Shounen Bat in the police station] and the "RPG fantasy" can't really be explained in any other way.

With that in mind, the whole thing seems to be something of a meditation on "negative vibes", so to speak. The things that weigh us down and crush our spirits, like cheating loved ones, or a lousy job, or simple human indecency, have the power to kill us, mentally if not physically. These are represented by Shounen Bat. The way we fight Shounen Bat is by not losing hope and continuing on. Using Shounen Bat as a narrative device is a pretty simple way of representing this, but the series has 13 episodes worth of screentime to expound on this basic theme. It also gives the whole story a definite mysterious feel. It's definitely worth a look for anyone who's wondering.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gotten to watch the series yet, but from what I read in Newtype, it sounds like something really good. I hope that the story is one that keeps you guessing; is it?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:35 pm Reply with quote
JeTmAn81 wrote:
I watched this series recently and found it both perplexing and fascinating. I think one thing that has to be said is that the series as a whole should be taken metaphorically. Certain things like spoiler[the death of Shounen Bat in the police station] and the "RPG fantasy" can't really be explained in any other way.

spoiler[because Kozuka wasn't really Shounen bat, he was just a nut case. the whole persona of Shounen Bat is based on rumors, so that's how he was able to look like him. notice the first time Shounen Bat shows up, you don't actually see him: because Tsukiko told the lie, and everyone else filled in all the details. the real shounen bat killed Kozuka because his true wish was to die]
oberkorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm sure going pre-order on this one =)
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
um... to get a fan sub now would be disgracing fansubs and opens you up to legal liability.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
um... to get a fan sub now would be disgracing fansubs and opens you up to legal liability.
Not to mention it is againts the rules! Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ganzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
yea, somewhat dissapoint for the later episodes, a descent start that almost made this one to the classics, but despite the incredibal style of satoshi kon, story got loose pretty badly.

I felt the later episodes are not keeping up with the stuff that is presented in the first few episodes. The work can be quite fresh to some but not to some who have experienced satoshi's other works, I mean, "perfect blue" can be looked at as the origin of this show.

I do feel sad that his other work "millenium princess", "tokyo godfather" were not something I expected(as in good). But I still give praises for his strong artistic style.
momosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
I think that it is the best anime I have seen so far this year. It also features scripts from the person who did boogiepop phantom
owen_c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Paranoia Agent is definitely one of the best TV animes out there.

Technically it is perhaps the best show out there. Everything moves much more than in other anime, even just shots of characters talking. In pretty much every episode there is one spellbinding animation sequence, which is a rarity to find even in feature films. (I'd give examples on a per-episode basis, but realise most fans probably don't care about this) Also, the backgrounds are very good quality.

Kon's clever and dizzying direction style can be found in abundance here. Those who like the show and haven't seen his other work, especially Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress should do so now. The story of each episode is often mostly self-contained, while the episodes also have many plotlines and characters that tie them together. The show is a mix of serious ideas and humour.

Also, Shounen bat is just the man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1