• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you look for new series to watch?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
Nowdays so many series are made every season that's hardly to watch all of them-even if we don't want to see good series from the past.

What helps you in looking for new series and movies?

Here is my list of searching

Reviews -On which site? Personally i don't like ANN"s ones, they seems to be too "mean" to me- they focus mostly on technical issues, don't write about enjoyment at all. I like when on the main site is a place for "random series"- I usually check it, on that way I've found some masterpieces.

Creators- Ryiko Ikeda, Rumiko Takahashi, CLAMP, Bones, Gonzo, Sunrise- we trust them... don't we? After i've seen that most of my favourites come form Sunrise their projects projects are "must watch" for me

Tags, categories "Fantasy, humor, great soundtrack, strong female"-surfing throught websites can give good results

Real people recommendations
- all "What should I watch..." topics and advices from real people who can talk with us and know us a little bit.
Fashion- So many enjoys "Hetalia", won't we? Every season have a series that nearly everyone watch and discuss about it so I often follow them to make my own opinion.
Time of the relase -I know people who watch only the newest ones, but some prefers vhs rips older than they are. Personally I don't pay attention to it, but some fans do.

Other-voices, graphic (write what)
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
well my list of searching consists of

Reviews
I also don't like ANN's reviews for the same reason. Very few anime meet their standards. Given the hostility, disdain and general glee they have in ripping apart an anime I wonder if they even like anime or if they get their kicks trashing it. Since I got into anime because it was different and entertaining they don't help me at all. I also have issues with reviews on Mania.com (anime on dvd). They seem to go to the other extreme but at least it is clear that they like anime and want to be entertained by it. So I get a better sense of whether an anime is entertaining or not from them. Most of the other review sites I goto are somewhere inbetween these two extremes and sometimes helpful.

Forums
This is my primary means of discovering new anime. In particular I zero in on "what are you watching now" kinds of threads. I can't tell you how many great anime I have found by reading about someone else's impressions (both good and bad) while they were watching. They often say something interesting that lets me know if that anime is something I would like or something I should stay away from and what expectations I should have going in. This works better for me than reviews most of the time. Also in forums someone will say something like "this show is not as good as (anime I have never heard of) which is awesome." At which point I will immediately check the ann database and look for info on it. I have found several gems that way.

Season previews
I often check out previews of an anime season looking for anything interesting. Sometimes it pays off big.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
I only have two ways of finding a show to watch. One is hype and the second is my gut feeling after reading the synopsis. It's that simple for me. I came across Myself; Yourself, it sounded good from the synopsis, I added it to my list. I didn't do research on it (I still don't know who made that show or even how I came across it). The same kind of thing with Gurren Lagann. It's a hype machine so I added it to my list. I do that because my tastes fall within the majority most of the time. If most fans like it then I usually like it, if most fans don't then usually I don't. Of course I don't let an unhyped or low scored show pass me by. I love Lamune, but so many people have never heard of it and it doesn't exactly have high scores.

I don't read any kind of reviews anymore because they're all biased in my eyes. I'm also in the boat that I can't fully trust anything another anime fan says because I find so many are idiots. If you love the show of course you're going to rave about the good and barely touch the bad. If you disliked a show of course you're going to pick it apart by focusing on the bad and try to mask the good with bad. JesuOtaku has the only review that I really watch because she's very balanced, but her review will still play no part in me watching or not watching a show; she's just very entertaining to watch. You also eluded to the point that so many don't talk about the enjoyment. Isn't that the only thing that really matters? So many people take into account the art, the animation, the music, the character development and I don't think any of that stuff matters at all. Like Shin-chan. It's got ugly ass art, but it's funny as hell and that's all I care about.

I also couldn't care less about creators and voice actors. I think people who allow that to sway their decision take things a little too seriously. I didn't watch Kare Kano because Gainax made it, I watched it because it sounded really good. I didn't watch Scrapped Princess because Crispin Freeman was in it, I watched it because it sounded like a show I'd enjoy. If people overlook shows because of something like this, I don't know what this world is coming to anymore. I can't even imagine someone saying, "Oh, Kare Kano sounds nice, I think I'll watch that. Wait, Gainax made it, never mind." Doesn't that just sound ridiculous?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I love Lamune, but so many people have never heard of it and it doesn't exactly have high scores.

Oh, I've heard of it too, but that's only because one of the songs was in the visual novel Narcissu (which was really good, but very sad). I might watch it if I have time.

When looking for new things to watch, sometimes I look at what's popular, sometimes I'll see a random title and click it for the hell of it (if it interests me it goes on my to-watch list), sometimes I'll watch what my school's anime club shows us, sometimes I'll be browsing through fanart and see a series, look it up, and go "That's interesting. I'll watch it.", sometimes I look at reviews, sometimes I'll see it in an AMV, and sometimes I'll look it up if it's airing on the FUNimation channel (or wherever else it airs) and I'll watch it if I have time. If I don't have time, I DVR it.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I'm also in the boat that I can't fully trust anything another anime fan says because I find so many are idiots.

I hope it wasn't anything personal?
Quote:

If you love the show of course you're going to rave about the good and barely touch the bad. If you disliked a show of course you're going to pick it apart by focusing on the bad and try to mask the good with bad.

It's a problem of the sites which allow all users to add so called "reviews"(sorry, I can't call this way notes containing three sentences and no arguments). I have two anime sties (both Polish) "semi-opened to writers"-if you want you can send them review and if it have no serious mistakes and contains rational argument it's published. If you don't agree witch review you can send them your own -but unfortunately it's a rare case (I think just Elfen Lied have two completely different reviews- both have strong arguments pro and against). After two years of reading I can tell wchich user have similar tastes to mine.
Also I think that most of the people pay attention just to first and last sentences, and don't read them at all- if someone writes that Toradora! is good ecchi comedy some people see just "good" and "comedy" and are very surprised when "ecchi" appears.
Things that are prons for reviewer for us can be cons, our point of view depends on what we have seen- maybe someone else see similarity to other elder series where we see completely new thing.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I'm also in the boat that I can't fully trust anything another anime fan says because I find so many are idiots.

I hope it wasn't anything personal?

It wasn't anything personal, but I could be reading the review of the person who thinks buying anime is stupid when you can get it for free. Or the review of the guy who hates the American industry because they licensed their favorite show. I could even be reading the review of the person who bangs on mainstream shows for the hell of it. I don't want to read the reviews that these people write.

I used to use a site that did the exact same thing you mentioned for reviews. When you scroll up and down the page, though, you see so many varying opinions and you can't decide which is the one you would agree with. So you could end up passing on a show because they had a negative review of it, but in reality you could end up loving the show and never know it. I almost skipped School Days because of all the bad reviews I read on the show, but I watched it anyways and ended up loving it. After watching School Days is about the same time I gave up on reviews actually because I realized that I can't trust another person's opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
Which system "opened" or semi-opend"?
Because when redaction requires readable reviews many people give it up, ending witting comments about reviewer.
Quote:

It wasn't anything personal, but I could be reading the review of the person who thinks buying anime is stupid when you can get it for free. Or the review of the guy who hates the American industry because they licensed their favorite show. I could even be reading the review of the person who bangs on mainstream shows for the hell of it. I don't want to read the reviews that these people write.

I used to be school newspaper's redactor and I know how many texts is thrown out even in so small periodic because of spelling and grammar mistakes. I used to have special pendrive to record the most curious ones.
Sometimes I had my email account full of reviews and nothing to put these these two pages. How long should I explain that reviewer don't have to describe whole plot or "that series is the best" isn't an argument? Gods should purnish siners making them redactors:)

Ps.
I also read reviews after seeing a show- to compare my point of view.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
I find I don't actively seek out new titles anymore- my backlog is pretty massive (at least 100 dvds), and that's not counting titles my friends have and want me to watch... so I'm pretty much good for viewing for a very long time.

Basically, I read forums and the handful of print magazines still out there, and try to remember the names of anything that looked good.

The closest I get to actively searching for new titles is, oddly enough, during TRSI sales. I usually go over the full list for whatever studio is on that week, stopping at titles that don't sound familiar, and researching anything that sounds interesting- in case I want to add it to the monster backlog.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
I just kind of stumble into new series a lot of the time-reviews are just slightly useful to me-I like the Them review site-the reviews ther are in line with my thinking on a lot of series-if they like it chances are I will to.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
ANN's season previews: This is probably my main source for new anime. I read the previews, read the forum thread, and see what the general reaction is from people. If it wasn't for their preview article, I'd probably watch a lot less, just because there is too much out there to go through. I understand why they don't do previews for every season because of the sheer amount of work it takes, but I wish they did, because it's so helpful. I've found wonderful series such as Toradora, Eden of the East, Hatsukoi Limited, Cross Game, and Ouran High School Host Club from the preview guides.

TRSI's sales: Like DuelLadyS, I will scan their bargain bin/weekly sales/vendor sales for anything that might catch my eye. Then I'll start doing active research on it, like ANN's reviews, AoDVD's reviews, and the topic threads here on the forums. If I have time, I might Netflix the first disc. Did this for Eureka Seven and Hajime no Ippo.

Manga: This is rarer, since I usually start with anime, then go find the manga it was based on, but occasionally I'll read a manga and like it so much, that I'll start watching the anime. I've done this for Antique Bakery, Love*Com, and I'm starting One Piece.

Word of mouth: i.e. Forum users and video store clerks. I'll find random recommendations from people I am familiar with on the forums, and give things a try. This is how I found RahXephon. Or, when I was just starting out and there was a brick and mortar anime rental store, and I hadn't discovered forums yet, I would ask the clerks for help on finding a new anime. They were wonderfully helpful and directed me towards gems such as Outlaw Star, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Rurouni Kenshin.

AMVs: I'm a sucker for a good, fun AMV. Especially if it's full of action and paired with excellent, catchy music. From these, I've picked up Princess Tutu (Hold Me Now) and Naruto (Gentrification).
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
The first place I go for new series is my friends. I have a couple people whose judgment I trust as far as whether or not I'd like a title, so I'll listen to them and see what they're talking about, and occasionally ask them for a recommendation.

From there, I'll look up reviews. I have some reviewers whose tastes match up with mine pretty well, so I'll see what they're reviewing.

After that, I'll just do some research on my own. Find a title with an interesting premise, find out how long it is, how to get it, what most people think of it, etc.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'd highly recommend the stickied thread Top 10 Best/Top 5 Worst at the top of the page. If a show pops up a lot it's a good indication that it might be worth your while. You can also look for quality posts and see what that particular user likes.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Haven't been watching a lot of anime lately, but what I'm looking for:

Anime based on video games-Been playing lots of JRPGs and the likes and the stories and characters I like are kind of like an interactive anime for me. I enjoyed Disgaea, Pokemon, and Tales of the Abyss anime even if its not like the games because I'm a fan of the characters.

On TV-If its on TV, I'll check it out to see if I like it. I'm a very character-liking person, so if I dig the characters or something out of the ordinary stuff, I give it a try.

Manga-If there's anime based on Manga, I might give it a try. If its not too far off from the manga that its not recognizable to me, I usually like it. Really love to see scenes from manga animated and voiced on parts I enjoyed in the manga.

The art style-Some art styles really jump at me, so those gets points with me, but I make sure to see if I like the story/characters to make sure I don't fall into a trap. If its all cute but turns out to be some murder slasher thing, I'm going to walk in another direction!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
I read plot descriptions usually, it's the most effective way since story is the number one thing I look for. If it sounds interesting then I'll watch it. Also I tend to heavily make use of trailers and/or opening sequences.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
There are quite a few ways to pick up new series. I browse Top 50 anime(10+ series picked from there), read Shelf Life(picked Skip Beat! this way) and ANN reviews(not many but a few titles for sure).

Then there is ANN users who aren't paranoid and kind enough to unlock their "seen some/seen all/will not finish" categories. I browse some of them(including ANN staff, mods and users I see on forums) time to time usually sorting anime by rating, see their top and bottom and read comments if they are present. Picked quite a few titles this way.

Also I am a sucker for AMVs, picked School Days thanks to "Womaniser" AMV(got hooked by idea of guy having all those girls Wink ); Princess Tutu after seeing "Beyond"; and my recent favorite Claymore thanks to "Whispers in the dark"(spoiler free, you might want to see anime after this, I kid you not). For much better quality get it at amv.org
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3