• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The longest time you spent watching anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flavius184

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
What was the longest, single session record you've set for watching anime? And how many episodes of what series did it involve?

For me, the longest I've ever sat down to watch anime in one sitting was 13 hours. I had purchased all of the Last Exile DVDs during my last summer vacation, and had managed to marathon through all 26 episodes (from the afternoon to about 3 am). It's rare that I would splurge on a series like that, but at the time it seemed like something I could try - nothing to do when you're bored, right? Smile
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
I used to be very technical in the way I would watch anime. I had a calendar to mark what show I'd watch when and I would split 26 episodes between two days and 12-14 episodes in one day. During those times, I'd sit for 6 hours at the longest watching anime. I can't name a specific show because I did it for a lot of shows, though. I eventually quit doing that because watching anime almost became a chore and now I'll watch for an hour at a time or watch an entire show at a time, it depends on the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
I think the longest was probably when I have sat down and watched either Death Note or watched Full Metal Panic. With Death Note I think I watched all of them except the last 5 episodes which had not yet been released, and I watched all of the first season of FMP. Thinking back I can't remember if I may have split them over two days, that time felt a bit funny. I also remember watching Fullmetal Alchemist fairly continuosly, but I am sure I had breaks with that too.
happymoose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
I usually dont watch more than a couple of hours of Anime a day. depending on what has come out that day. Now, Whenever i run into a new show however, its a little different. i will probably watch 8-12 episodes a day. Granted, a while back, when i saw Nanoha, i watched Seasons 1 and 2 back to back. And then a few days later i started watching season three. Stellvia as well, i watched that show all the way through with really no rest. But those events are few and very far between.

Also, when i rewatch a TV show, i try to pace it per DVD or for every 3-4 episodes per day in addition to the new stuff. SO, i would have to say the longest i have watched anime would have to be however long it takes to watch 26 episodes of a series.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
You guys are far better than I.

My longest true marathon was about 6 1/2 hours. I had just borrowed some DVDs from a friend and I sat on the floor and downed them all in a Friday night. It was back in high school so my memory's a little fuzzy--I definitely remember Patlabor and Dominion Tank Police (they were two different series, right?), and I believe there was some Baki the Grappler, some Excel Saga, and Slayers (I think it was a movie).

Now if we're counting broadcast TV then I put down 8 hours one Saturday. I think it started with a Pokemon movie, then Toonami, then [as]'s action block which at the time was all anime (I think they slipped Futurama in there, I don't remember). *sigh* Those were the days.

I'm going to have to try that all-nighter thing. I got Last Exile, Gankutsuou, and Blue Gender. What snacks do you recommend?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm a light-weight when it comes to marathon viewing. I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt I've ever watched more than 6 episodes of anime in one sitting. I gulped Blood+, Part 1 in five eppie gulps, and deliberately tried to slow my pace on it because I didn't want to go through it too quickly. I know I watched most of Shikabane Hime over the course of a single weekend.

I mostly watch anime in the evenings so there is a natural governor on the length of my sessions. I'm an old man (44 and counting) so by about 10:30 I'm basically nodding off. I've had to re-watch some episodes because I was asleep for big chunks of them the first time around.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
The most I ever watched was about the last 15 eps of ToraDora! and 3 eps of S.A and the 2nd season of SZS

This was at the start of summer, when I was not sleeping most of the time Anime hyper
yurijuri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
The longest time I spent watching anime had to about seven or eight hours. I made the mistake of showing R.O.D TV to my siblings during summer break and they refused to stop watching it. We either finished the entire series that day or it was something very close to that.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm an old man (44 and counting) so by about 10:30 I'm basically nodding off. I've had to re-watch some episodes because I was asleep for big chunks of them the first time around.

I'm the same except I'm (almost) 19. I have a rule that says no anime after 8:30 because I'm usually asleep by 9 and sleepy around that time. I've fallen asleep too many times during a show, even the really good ones like Slayers.

Before you guys think I'm a wuss for sleeping so early, I wake up at around 5 so it's not like my hours are that different from everyone elses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Falling asleep with anime on screws up your dreams I have to say.

I also watched all of TMoHS in a row (DVD order) then watched most of Lucky Star (I say most because I skipped a few eps then watched the OVA)
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
I don't marathon like I used to, but I think the most I did at once was the whole first season of Ranma ½ So that's 18 episodes in one sitting. Since then the longest I've done is my Haruhi Suzimiya DVDs (in broadcast order) or one of Funi's DVDs which had 6 or 7 episodes on one disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Ha, I really feel like a lightweight. I generally only marathon 12-13 episode series, which only take maybe 6 hours. Beyond that, I watch a lot of stuff as it's coming out so that kind of prevents me from watching it in huge chunks (even though I might watch 3 or 4 different things in a normal evening).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
At the most, I marathoned the final 9 episodes of Monster for nearly 4 hours. Can't picture myself seeing more than that in a single sitting with other things that get my attention in real life.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
When I broke both my legs, i was pretty much not able to do anything.... so, you can probably imagine how much i marathoned, given that it was over the summer. I still remember that I marathoned all 43 episodes of Great Teacher Onizuka, and then following that, I marathoned about 45 episodes of Saiyuki. *sigh*, bad times bad times... but they are good animes, this, is undoubtly true for me. Just, that was too much.

-Elfen12-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2