• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReZZo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:00 am Reply with quote
Has anyone here seen any Hellsing? I've seen the first three episodes and I thought it was bad ass. Anyone know anything about the future releases of the next episodes?
Morrolan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Currently. I've seen 9 eps, [all that have been subbed] and 10 is quickly aproaching. It becomes more and more bad ass as time goes on.
I find the story to be a bit confusing though. Like some of the ground rules of what vampires can and can not do keep changing.
Example: One vamp shoots Arkard straight in the head. But Arkard's not dead [obviously] and the guy says something along the lines of: "Impossible! He's taken a shot right in the head! There's no such thing as absolute imortality!" then two seconds later his buddy gets shot in the head six times and laughs it off. Sad
Oh well it's still a great show. If it's story keeps developing like it looks it will it may just make it into my top 10 list. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vicious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:33 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to hold off untill all 13 are subbed. I already got cut off from my Inuyasha fix...even if by some hypethetical miracle they subbed them the exact same day they aired in Japan I'd be annoyed waiting with only one a week :P
Morrolan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:13 am Reply with quote
It's a 26 episode series I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Moridin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:23 am Reply with quote
I think a possible explanation is that Alucard is a "real" vampire while others are artifically created and thus do not have the full range of powers that Alucard has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Vicious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I actually heard someone say it was 13 eps, though he could have just meant that that's the number of eps that have aired in Japan so far(At the time)
ReZZo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:05 pm Reply with quote
From what i have heard, i thought the rest of the series was still in development.
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:25 pm Reply with quote
When did Alucard first appear in the Dracula story?(Like, I know he was in the castlevania games, but That's definately NOT when he first popped up.)

Also, Does anyone know where I can "obtain" these episodes?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Vertigo1 wrote:

When did Alucard first appear in the Dracula story?(Like, I know he was in the castlevania games, but That's definately NOT when he first popped up.)

Suprisingly (for me, at least), Konami didn't make up the character, according to this site:
http://www.geocities.com/adrianbelmont/drac_vamps1.html

Dracula was, as recorded, legally married to two women, one of which held the conception of the unknown birth that can be assumed was Alucard of
CastleVania. Exactly where the true origin of the name Alucard lies is unknown, but Konami was not the creator of it. The earliest and first record of the name Alucard that I've ever known is the 1940's film title "Son of Dracula" wherein "Count Alucard" is played by silent monster film master's son, Lon Chaney Jr. That seems quite accurate, as the movie itself was rather cheaply made, so is turning around the letters of a name to get another (Dracula...Alucard, backwards compatibility!).

Review of the movie "Son Of Dracula" which includes "Count Alucard":
http://www.vampiremovies.co.uk/reviews/sonofdracula.htm

... I can't find any more information than that online.

Vertigo1 wrote:

Also, Does anyone know where I can "obtain" these episodes?

Pioneer has the license. Just sit tight -- a release should be coming soon. Pioneer rarely announces titles far in advance of their release date... I mean, they announced Vandread at AX (7/6/01) and the first DVD came out 1/15/02 -- only 6 months apart.

Soul Taker #1 (another title announced at AX) is due out this week.

... So, 6-7 months after November (when it was announced) would make it sometime this summer or fall. I'd expect to see a release date for it on pioneeranimation.com sometime in August or September at the latest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow cookie im surprised you didn't know about lon chaney's son of dracula; I always thought that it was a well known movie (as chaney is kind of a well known makeup artist.. probably one of the best).. and you seem to be vastly more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.. but I always thought that the name "Alucard" existed before that and they had taken it.. It does seem possible that it was a quick way to make a new character especially one related to the count, but I always had the impression that Alucard was somewhat of a common occurence in vampire mythology (although i never actually read any myself)

Didn't mean to be condescending, thanks for the info.

-- ACtually rereading your post, i gues it wasn't his movie after all; i always had thought it was though. guess i don't know what im talking about ^^
Wufei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
I started watching Hellsing when it used to be on the Action Channel on their Friday Anime nights. It was great the would play two episodes at a time. Was quite depressed when it was over though. But every so often they play it.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
Um...I am getting confused. With all this talk (typing).

So, a lowdown :

There are 13 episodes in the Hellsing Series.
They are all dubed and subed.
Pioneer has released a DVD Box set. (In English)
There is a new Hellsing OVA being realesed which is to fallow the manga.
There is a Hellsing manga.

I love Hellsing, especialy the voice actor who played Alucard. However it did seem to deviate from trying to find out who was making the chips (no, not Lays. The kind that goes in a computer). But it was full of cool animation and characters. I really like how they seemed to emphasizes Alucards pistols.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
Wufei wrote:
I started watching Hellsing when it used to be on the Action Channel on their Friday Anime nights. It was great the would play two episodes at a time. Was quite depressed when it was over though. But every so often they play it.

They'll be playing it again starting on July 29th
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
Wufei wrote:

Please, don't bring back a thread from Feb. 2002. Make a new one if you please but it's just really confusing.
Wufei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Sorry I didn't see the date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1