• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rednal's Reviews: Guardian Hearts Volume 1 by Sae Amatsu

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The following review is not sponsored or endorsed by ANN, and does not necessarily reflect the views of ANN and/or any members of its staff.

Guardian Hearts
Volume 1
Mangaka: Sae Amatsu
US Publisher: Tokyopop
ISBN: 978-1-4278-0947-6
Price: $9.99 (US)

Overview:
Guardian Hearts is basically a romantic comedy. Despite its flaws, it's not a bad read if you're bored and don't have anything better.

Characters:
Hmm... this is a tough call sometimes. Occasionally, it's notable that these characters are almost cookie-cutter, but there are a few things that stand out as points of interest. First, in most series, the extremely lucky male lead usually doesn't change all that much within the first three chapters. Kazuya, however, becomes so acclimated to the changes in his lifestyle that instead of constantly freaking out, his reaction soon turns from "OMG hot alien transforming superheroine wut?" to "Oh, another alien, huh? Why am I not surprised?", and this is actually fairly funny. Also, more than one of the girls is of an archetype that would fit a main character. They aren't particularly memorable, but they are rather funny. I like Maya, by the way; she keeps poisoning the main character's food, apparently out of habit, and can be summoned by clapping.
Rating: C+. Seriously, not impressive, but there are some redeeming scenes. The "+" is for Maya.

Art:
The art of Guardian Hearts is actually fairly good at times, though for a series that relies fairly heavily on females, the moe level isn't as high as it could be. That might be a good thing, though, and it seems to work well enough for the story. There are a few times where the faces could use a little work, but overall, it's not especially good or bad in any area.
Rating: C. You won't be singing its praises, but much worse exists.

Story:
Most series have something known as "character development". These are basically events that are unrelated to the main storyline, but serve to flesh out the characters and make them more real. Note that this is similar to, but also different from, irritating filler chapters and/or episodes. Guardian Hearts does not contain any extra material. I'm serious. There is so much development that at times, a page could be a whole chapter, and the first chapter alone has enough material for two volumes. I feel like Amatsu was ordered to finish within three volumes; the closest I've ever seen to this series in pacing was in G Gundam, and even that pales in comparison. Guardian Hearts does not, at any time, hesitate to get to the point. It's weird, but strangely entertaining. This story is pumped full of stereotypes and cliches, and I'm fairly certain that it's intentional; a mockery of similar series rather than a story meant to be taken seriously in and of itself. It does this fairly well, all things considered. For the actual STORY, it's like this: Girl is sent to protect Earth. She cannot reveal her identity to anyone. So, of course, the first thing that happens is that she DOES give away the big secret. It took her 0.3 seconds to fail her mission... so the magical girl gets herself adopted, and a volume's worth of plot happens in the next twenty pages or so. Enter the Space Cosplay Girl, the Space Ninja Girl, the Space Magical Princess, and the Space Shrine Maiden. They're all from space, yes. And they all transform in one way or another.
Rating: C. It's like eating a Twinkie; you know it's bad, but it's good in its own way.

Final Word:
Do not give this to someone as their first manga series, and do not, at ANY point, take it seriously. Guardian Hearts is not amazing, but as relaxed, light comedy for older fans, it isn't bad.
Final Rating: C.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1