• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Comics with Manga Influences.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dyuken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Hey Guys
I have a quick question to put out there. What would interest you guys in and American Comic. If it had clear manga influences like finite running time, slower and more thoughtful pacing and more of a focus on female characters. Would you guys give it a chance?
Lokarunith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Although they are not made by American creators but Canadian, I'm thinking in giving Scott Pilgrim and Tanpopo a try. I usually hate the result when foreign artists try to imitate another country’s art style, but in the case of the 2 titles mentioned above, they fuse eastern and western styles in a very original and harmonic way.
Scott Pilgrim in terms of layout and dynamic is very manga-like but in terms of character design is more western, Tanpopo is the opposite, characters are more manga-like but in terms of layout is more eastern.

What attracts me the most to these kind of works is the culture conflict, how the author manages to conciliate both art styles, each transmitting a different way of thinking.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Who's to say we don't give it a chance? I know tons of people here read both manga and Western comics. I personally am planning to get about 20 of the new DC titles (already have about 8 of them) as well as collecting Fables and the Cinderella spin-off (and definitely Fairest as well).

I do also love Scott Pilgrim, especially because when I first read it I was still living in Toronto and enjoyed seeing something actually set there. Love the movie too.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I read both Western and Japanese comics, and the one thing that annoys me the most is when a western comic tries to imitate manga/anime to the point it just doesn't work and brings nothing new to the table, especially if the comic is full colored. Scott Pilgrim was influenced by manga, but the creator developed his own style so it worked with me. But art style will only get you so far, if your story is good, people will keep with it even if the art is pretty crappy.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
If a person truly likes comics, I don't see why they shouldn't give other styles a chance. Although I'm a big manga fan, I have followed both Powers and The Walking Dead series almost from their beginning, and have read most of Frank Miller's, Alan Moore's, Brian K. Vaughan and other well known creators works. I read some superhero comics ocasionally (I enjoy Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man), but I am more attracted to manga due to the absolute creative control that the writers/artists have and to the more cinematographic composition of manga and its sense of speed and motion. Manga has a more personal feel to it, and that is one of the reasons why I like it so much.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
What would interest you guys in and American Comic. If it had clear manga influences like finite running time, slower and more thoughtful pacing and more of a focus on female characters. Would you guys give it a chance?

This question presupposes that I'm not already interested in American comics and also rather ignorantly implies that the qualities you list are unique to manga and could only possibly be found in an American comic were it heavilly influenced by manga. That's simply ridiculous.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
Hey Guys
I have a quick question to put out there. What would interest you guys in and American Comic. If it had clear manga influences like finite running time, slower and more thoughtful pacing and more of a focus on female characters. Would you guys give it a chance?

Um... those things aren't exactly manga-secific things? (well, the last one is, kinda.) I mean, yeah, most manga don't go that long, but that's mainly because they get the plug pulled. If you get a successful series, then the creator is often encouraged (sometimes forcefully) to continue the series well past its expiration date (see: Naruto, DBZ). It's no different then DC canceling series that under-preform, while making sure Batman always stays in serialization. o_o The main difference here is that American creators don't own their characters, so those stories can go on indefinitely...

(Pacing is also more of a person-by-person thing, not a standard to one or the other.)

But, anyways. What would get me to give American comics a chance?

(Why do you assume I haven't already? Why do you assume that I don't like American comics? Because, for the record, there are many American comics that I like.)

1. A clear starting point is great. I always feel like I need to start at the beginning, and most American comics make that very hard (if not impossible) to do. This is why I like The Sandman. It is complete as it is, has a clearly defined #1, and anything else Gaiman did/does/will do outside of that is just a bonus and isn't necessary to enjoy the original series.

2. Stop with the crossovers. I don't want to follow all 52 series or whatever DC is putting out. I shouldn't have to if I just want to follow the stories of one or two series. >_> Crossovers are one of the biggest turn offs to me because suddenly we have characters I don't know coming in from nowhere with absolutely no introduction/exposition, MY characters running off and doing other things that I don't get to read about (or worse, it's mentioned with a footnote of "you should read BlahBlah #16 to find out!"), and the whole narrative itself bending over backwards trying to accommodate the "shared vision" created by dozens of different writers trying to shoehorn his/her own universes into the now shared universe (contradictory world-building ahoy!). Basically, crossovers make me wish I'd never gotten into a series in the first place! (As a side note, this is what Fables is becoming for me. x_x I'm having trouble keeping up with all the side-stories and spin-off-series and novelizations. And then when I do eventually get them, I have no idea what the chronology should be...)

3. Release all comics in trades--- and actually care about how the trades sell. I feel terrible that me buying Batgirl volume 1 apparently doesn't matter to DC in terms of "How well did Stephanie Brown sell?". I have been told time and again that all the main two care about are the sales of the monthly floppies. This is a real shame, because I just hate those things. They're flimsy, hard to store, and don't have nearly enough actual CONTENT in them for me to justify spending $2-4 a month on them. I'd much rather save up for the trade, which looks nice and neat on my bookshelf and is just so much more convenient to read.

Other wishlist items would be: more female creators, more variety in the female characters and story arcs (hell, even just the EXISTENCE of their own story arc! In a lot of cases, that'd be progress!), stories that actually change their protagonists by the end of it (mainstream American comics seems to really be lacking on the character development), and more variety of stories in general (I know, I know, indy publishers have more variety, but those aren't who I'm talking about at the moment).

...and for the record, I don't really consider any of those things "manga style". Rolling Eyes I don't need American comics to pretend to be manga for me to like them, I just need to not have to practically fight to understand All of Continuity all of the time, thanks.

If they put the guys in charge of DC's animated stuff in charge of the actual comics, then I'd be a happy camper. Cool
HikariMike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
+1 t any bryan lee o'mallley works (scott pilgrim/lost at sea)

He draws heavily from manga influences in terms of layout, character design and some story elements.

It's also interesting to read the books and pick up the nods to anime such as the spoiler[ Huge frickin robots or awesome ninja esque battle scenes ]
dyuken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The reason I asked this, is I am working on a superhero comedy, based on actual RPG gameplay.

I game master Heroes Unlimited by Palladium Books and I also draw for them. Over the last year our huge group of friends have made the game so over the top hilarious, we have decided to put out an anthology sampler, with that story in it.

The book is gonna be called Imaginos Plus and we are setting up the kickstarter as we speak. Look at the video and let me know what you guys think.

I really appreciate all of your input, its really helped me to understand what will be the best way to approach it.

[Link removed. Sorry, we don't allow the forum to be used for advertising purposes.]
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much to say about them except that some of the ones made for kids end up getting mixed up with the real Manga at the nearest books a million, I have no problem with them, I just don't read them.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with American comics that have manga influences. I don't really seem to mind it. If some comic artists in this country are going to imitate the manga style,I say more power to them. If they're going to do it,they're going to do it regardless of anything we say. I don't really have a problem with it.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
Hey Guys

None of those traits are exclusive to manga. The Big Two does not equal all American - or more appropriately - Western comics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
Hey Guys

This in addition to generally unappealing art and lack of diversity is why I'm not interested in comics. Manga influence comics seems like they'd just be like anime influenced cartoons are, all focusing on throwing in cliches but not making an actual good product. Marvel's Mangaverse was so terribad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1