• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
last exile super deal!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote
amazon is pre-ordering Last Exile Complete series 1-7 for only $24.49

it seems too good to be true, I pre-ordered it and am hoping nothing goes wrong.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This topic was brought up the other night in the Chat Room. It's a very good looking deal indeed. It can't be a bootleg judging by all the product specs and numbers, so at most, it might just be a possible typo or something.

And since they can't overcharge you, all you really have to lose is your order, as in if they realize this sooner or later and cancel your shipment due to their own screw up.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Nah, they've fixed it. It's $146.99 now.

Did you keep any evidence, like a print-out of your order confirmation, for the price you saw, Vigilante024? If you have those evidence the company will be forced to absorb the loss. I've seen high-end inkjet printers and luxurious hotel rooms marked for less than $20 -- 1/10 of its real price, respectively. Webmasters discovered the error hours after online purchases poured in like crazy, but since transactions had been completed (and some customers threatened with lawsuit if companies wanted to cancel the deal) the respective companies could do nothing but accept the price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Guess I was right after all. Well then, good luck to all of you in taking advantage of their "little" mistake. Make sure you check your account records and printed receipts among other things in case you decide to make an argument.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ah, lucky me that they emailed me my invoice with the price being $24.49

but I'll print it up just to be safe.
Alias

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I've placed the order when it was $27.99 on 11/28.

This morning on (11/29) it dropped to $24.49, so I cancelled my previous order and ordered the $24.49, bought 2 to qualify for Free shipping.

I can't believe it's now $146.99. (Noon 11/29).

Hope my order gets in.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well amazon has a tendency to mis-label the price. It happen so offend, that they can cancle the order if they feel like it. Even if you have the invoice. This happen to me and hundreds of others before on the History of Cinmea dvd boxset (price at 4 dollar when it was suppose to be 120).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
It happen so offend, that they can cancle the order if they feel like it. Even if you have the invoice.

Sounds like the law protects merchants rather than customers. Mad Maybe they have written this occasion into their "Terms and Conditions."

Heck, if that's true, they can attract people by "mislabeling" first and raise the price back before shipping; take it or cancel it. This can be a malicious yet effective method, especially if the product is needed on time (e.g. during holiday season and "back to school").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quote
PRICING
With respect to items sold by Amazon.com, we cannot confirm the price of an item until you order; however, we do NOT charge your credit card until after your order has entered the shipping process. Despite our best efforts, a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If we discover a mispricing, we will do one of the following:

If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we will charge the lower amount and ship you the item.
If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Mad
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Those big companies with their own legal department always have included this in their terms. Mad

Update: Amazon took the price of Last Exile Complete Series off and made it un-preorderable.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
It happen so offend, that they can cancle the order if they feel like it. Even if you have the invoice.

Heck, if that's true, they can attract people by "mislabeling" first and raise the price back before shipping; take it or cancel it. This can be a malicious yet effective method, especially if the product is needed on time (e.g. during holiday season and "back to school").

I think it's commonly refer to as bait and switch. Some place like Office depot will charge the full amount instead of cancleing order.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I think it's commonly refer to as bait and switch. Some place like Office depot will charge the full amount instead of cancleing order.

Gosh, that's considered legal?! Shocked United States is such a heaven for cunning corporates.

Speaking of office supplies: I bought a chair at OfficeMax a year ago and am still waiting for the rebate check.... Evil or Very Mad

Update: Amazon put Last Exile Complete Series back as preorderable. What were they thinking, changing its status so many times a day?!
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I find it odd that they put this in the page:

Quote:

Rated: Not for sale to persons under age 18.

Isn't Last Exile rated 13+?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:17 am Reply with quote
Consumer protection generally falls under state laws. For example here in Texas if you purchase or commit to purchasing an item at a given price then the store mush honor that price even if the item is mislabeled. However, since amazon.com is not in such a situation they are not subject to those same laws.

darkhunter wrote:
Bait and switch is when a store advertises an item at a discounted rate, but when you arrive at the store to buy that item they do not have the item, and attempt to sell you something else at an inflated price. Making a mistake on a price tag is not bait and switch, and if they were to charge you for the item before it shipped they would be forced to honor what the listed price was.
Alias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Just received an email from Amazon, notifying order cancellation due to incorrect pricing.

Amazon just simply apologize for their error.

It's understandable that they cancel all orders, don't want to loose $$$.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1