• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One-Piece... In 433 parts.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
At last count of 433 episodes... that's 10,825 min. (at 25 min./episode) of One-Piece, or 180.42 hours, or 7.52 days, or 1.07 weeks straight (roughly) of One-Piece. And that's not counting the movies.

My question is this: Is it worth it to watch it? From the beginning?

I never caught the show when it aired here in the States, except for the odd episode, but I'll admit to liking it. There was just something about it... I couldn't quite place it, but it struck some part of my fancy. A guilty pleasure, perhaps? Who knows. Regardless of my reasons for liking it, I keep coming back to it, but I'm hesitant given it's daunting, decade's worth of episodes.

So, I put the question to you: Is the show worth it? Certainly not all parts will be fab, I do expect it to drag in places (like the later half of Naruto's first run, prior to Shippuden).

I also recognize how personal and subjective that question is. As each persona's tastes run different, so to, I imagine, will be the responses.

Was it good, then fizzled out?

Is it resting on it's laurels just churning out fodder to feed the fans who want more, regardless of quality?

What's more, I've heard it mentioned that those episodes aired in the States were censored from the originals for content and language (like Naruto, and other 4Kids anime titles). I'd assume the uncensored Subs exist, but did the same uncensored treatment ever go to the Dubs?

All good things to know.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Bleach lately (up to episode 164) and I've been pretty disappointed. Oh sure, it is better than the Bount filler arc, but that's not saying much. I've been thinking of watching something else that's similar, but I've already ruled out Naruto for being dreck. And out of the holy trinity of current Shounen Anime/Manga (if we ignore Fullmetal Alchemist), all that is left is One Piece. But it is so long that getting into it is too daunting.

What I want to know is, how good is the One Piece Anime compared to the Manga? The Manga did ridiculously well this year, outselling Naruto and Bleach combined. Wow. So I've been thinking; if those sales figures are due to quality rather than hype, and if the Manga's greatness has made its way to the Anime adaptation, then maybe it would be worth watching the Anime. Even if it is over four hundred episodes long (seriously, if you cannot tell a simple story in less than four hundred episodes then you really are waffling badly).

So anyway, long story short, I too would like to know people's thoughts about what CareyGrant asked.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Short Version: I'm not a Shonen Jump fan but One Piece is worth it. Except for the filler arcs, which are terrible.

Long Version:
I have to say that I've never been a big fan of Shonen Jump shows. My previous experiences have been with Dragon Ball/Z, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach. None of the series managed to keep me watching for very long. So I just sort of wrote off Shonen Jump titles as something that didn't suite my taste. Then I heard about what had happened with One Piece (the simulcast fiasco) so I decided to just check it out.

Having just gotten into One Piece, I've managed to watch the first 91 episodes as well as all the simulcast episodes. I've purchased each Funimation dvd set that's been released so far and enjoyed it immensely. I've also read basic plot synopsis so that I can also watch the current simulcast. I can only speak for these parts of the series but I can say that I've enjoyed them thoroughly. The only down fall the series has is the horrible filler arcs. Luckily these are easy enough to find and skip over (they haven't added much to the main plot at least so far).

I've also read the manga up to vol 23. I would suggest reading the manga first to see if you really like the series, the manga is better than the anime in my opinion, so if you don't like the manga it's likely you won't like the anime. Funimation has quite a bit of the anime uploaded as well, uncut subbed and dubbed, so you can check out a good chunk of the series for free.

One Piece is the only SJ title I've ever enjoyed for so many episodes and volumes of manga (I tend to avoid series that run on for too long). The series never really feels stretched nor does it ever really fall into your typical SJ pattern. That being said, I plan on taking my time catching up with the series and enjoying each episode (even the filler). I highly recommend it!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
One Piece is one of the best shows out there in terms of creativity. What i like most is that characters don't just get a free pass to God Mode in the series- they work for it.

In short: i say go for it. I loved the series and I can't put it down. I enjoy it so much that I couldn't just keep up with the episodes- I had to jump into the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
My question is this: Is it worth it to watch it? From the beginning?

That's like asking if I know your tastes. If you enjoy the beginning, it's worth it. If you dislike the beginning, it's not worth it; simply because One Piece always keeps the same pace, with the same kind of different stories.
For me, it's worth it. I'm up to the latest aired episode and just finished all the 9 movies. In my opinion, this is also the best currently airing shonen.
dtm42 wrote:
Even if it is over four hundred episodes long (seriously, if you cannot tell a simple story in less than four hundred episodes then you really are waffling badly).

Oh, and who said they were trying to end the story? By the way, yes, they've told us many, many stories already, and that's probably what makes it this good.

But I definitely don't want to convince other people to watch this, oh definitely not, after all I'm egoist, only my own happiness matters to me. Anime smile + sweatdrop
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Is it worth it to watch it? From the beginning?

short answer, yes (imo)

CareyGrant wrote:
Certainly not all parts will be fab, I do expect it to drag in places (like the later half of Naruto's first run, prior to Shippuden).

The last portion of the first Naruto series was filler, i.e. only in the anime. Most filler arcs are written solely by the animation team and not the original creator. Think of it this way, Beethoven has a new symphony posthumously... only it's not by Beethoven it's composed by Justin Timberlake. Sure JT can be a good musician... but he's no Beethoven. lol. You can cut down on the time and the spots that drag by ignoring the filler.

This list will get you to ep 290 and telling you which ones are filler so you can skip them: (I've used spoiler tags because if you read the episode titles you could spoil future episodes and questions on the plot/direction).
spoiler[search "one piece filler" in google and the NarutoFan forum link is it. I'd link but it's a fansub distributer and against the rules... note: I'm linking to a helpful list, not a fansub or torrent thing-a-ma-bobber. ]

In defense of this show though, the filler isn't that bad. Meaning it's decent to good. Other shows like Naruto start at horrible and at best they're bearable. imo.

CareyGrant wrote:
Was it good, then fizzled out?

Is it resting on it's laurels just churning out fodder to feed the fans who want more, regardless of quality?

I have not read all the manga yet, but from what I hear, the show follows it pretty closely. Also almost all of my friends agree that the manga is better, and I love the anime, so I can (partially) infer that the show is staying true to a proven successful franchise.

Back to the first part, The show has constantly been good. The main plot follows a meet boss, fight boss, win fight progression similar to that of DBZ, only more thought out and relational to the plot (instead of hey lets kill Freeza and we'll never hear about him again). Each battle is increased in difficulty and the fighting gets more intense. Foes may return, or not, and whatever the outcome of the battle, they effect the One Piece Universe.

Just from an action stand point the show gets better and better. As a comedy there are lagging moments but never a dull joke (to my recollection). As an epic drama (long drawn out story which tugs at the heart strings) The show encompasses a set of mature back stories which are often displayed as comical but can also be very deep. From a mystery/intrigue standpoint, there are plenty of questions and twists and turns, and unlike American TV's LOST, questions are met with answers to the viewers satisfaction. Even after 430 episodes there are still things I don't know and many characters, places, and events that I am interested to see appear.

CareyGrant wrote:
What's more, I've heard it mentioned that those episodes aired in the States were censored from the originals for content and language (like Naruto, and other 4Kids anime titles). I'd assume the uncensored Subs exist, but did the same uncensored treatment ever go to the Dubs?

Like you I was introduced to this show via dubbed American TV. Was not interested. Every character was made more childish and Sanji constantly sucks on a lollipop instead of smoking. From my recollection, there was hardly (if) any blood... In the Japanese TV version, there is blood, sometimes a lot, and often characters are placed in self-mutilating circumstances, i.e. harming themselves to get out of a dreadful situation (sometimes emotionally). The show is much more intense than the dub air. Also, although no one is seen dying, one can infer at times that there is death in the show (as a result of battle). Most times villains will live to fight another day, or are seen being hauled off by the marines. Not to be confused with the G.I. Joe antics, i.e. A plane blows up inside of a tornado that is surrounded by a nuclear explosion and the pilot still parachutes to safety.

I honestly don't know if any of the blood, death, or mature situations ever made it into a dubbed version. American Dub studios usually find themselves to be editors and sometimes censors of anime... perhaps to appeal to a larger audience by decreasing the age limit... Whatever the reason I've all but given up on dubs. I'd suggest to watch this show with the Japanese voice and English subtitles because I've found that to have a more correct translation. I think in the dubbed version they would fill in or stretch the lines to match the movement of the character's mouths, buy I could be wrong on that.

If you watch enough anime in the Japanese voice (as you will by the time you get through one piece, haha) you'll start to pick up the tones and inflections which makes the difference that is usually lost in translation. Even if there is a word for word translation (grammatically fixed of course), the English dub may change the way the line is interpreted. As Japanese is the language used in production, I trust that first.

I know I've already written too much and probably strayed off topic a little bit (only a little, heh), but I'd say the show is worth it. It's an epic anime that will be talked about many years after it is done and I'm happy to be a part of the series (as a consumer at least) while it is in production.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
x_silversurfer wrote:
...only it's not by Beethoven it's composed by Justin Timberlake. Sure JT can be a good musician... but he's no Beethoven. lol. Y

Thank you for using a Justin Timberlake reference. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with egoist that a lot comes down to personal tastes, though with the caveat that initial reactions don't always tell the whole story. I'm very much a huge fan of the series myself, though there was a time when I thought it "looked weird" and didn't really think about giving it the time of day (until I actually sat down and watched it, that is). That being said, regardless of who you are, if you have any sort of appreciation for long-form storytelling and a plot that increasingly grows in scope and implications, I think you owe it to yourself to at least give the series a try. It's abundantly clear that Eiichiro Oda has much of what he writes worked out far in advance; there have been points in the anime where characters who first appeared 300 episodes ago suddenly come back into the story, usually in very influential fashion. (I know of one particular instance where he had a main character's design worked out years before said character made their debut.) I think this is one of the series' greatest strengths when compared to other long-running shounen series, especially considering how many prominent authors have stated flat-out that they essentially make things up from week to week as they go along. Unlike, say, Takahashi or Toriyama, Oda does have a plan for where the series is going to go, and he manages to weave that plan into the story of the moment in some flat-out incredible ways.

More broadly, One Piece is very much an "epic" in the classical sense of the word: its plot unfolds over a very long physical journey, its main characters (or most of them, anyway) fit into archetypes yet are very much their own unique individuals, and its scale keeps growing until it encompasses the entire world and its overall history. To repeat what egoist said, the reason the show's story hasn't concluded in less than four hundred episodes is because it hasn't even tried to conclude yet, not even remotely. To bring up a very minor spoiler, spoiler[as of episode 400, the Straw Hats are only at the geographical halfway point of their journey...and that's not even necessarily the halfway point of the final episode count.] Beyond the main quest to find the treasure One Piece that forms the backbone of the series, Oda has multiple storylines on various levels running at once, and the majority of them still have a lot of unfolding to do; hell, there are still major questions raised within the first fifty episodes that haven't been answered yet, although there have been plenty of juicy revelations in general. Even the characters, though they remain true to their personalities, undergo a significant deal of growth, and it's clear that they still have much more left to go. One Piece isn't a case of a story being dragged out well past its proper finishing time...amazingly, the general consensus is that it continues to get better with each new main story arc, and it has a long time to proceed at its own pace before it can even start to think about concluding.

As for the anime versus the manga, I'm not really a manga fan in general, so I don't have any direct experience with the latter. But what I do know is that the anime has an absolutely stellar main voice cast, a fantastic soundtrack, and some spectacular animation during many of the bigger fight scenes, and I honestly couldn't imagine going through the story any other way. This isn't to say that Oda's original creation isn't fantastic in and of itself, though, and from everything I understand, the anime follows the manga very closely over the vast majority of its run. As far as fillers go, I definitely wouldn't classify them as "terrible" (with one or two exceptions); while they're obviously not nearly as satisfying as the manga canon material, they're certainly far better than what I've seen in certain other notorious long-running shounens. Most of importantly of all, though, they're very rare; you're not going to see anything like Naurto's two years of filler episodes, or Bleach's frequent long filler arcs. The majority of One Piece's filler episodes consist of one-offs or short storylines sandwiched in-between the main canon story arcs, with a few one-off episodes scattered within them as exceptions. Oda's verbose storytelling style lends itself to frequently using only a chapter or two of manga per anime episode, which is obviously a big benefit. The anime does sometimes have to resort to lengthy recaps (up to several minutes once or twice) at the start of an episode when it's running particularly close to the manga in the midst of an arc, but those are easily skipped if you don't feel like sitting through them.

As for the American release of the series...I'm sure I don't have to explain what 4Kids did to it to most anime fans. In short, they completely butchered the majority of what they covered, and the vast amount of material they cut out (including a few canon arcs wholesale, arcs that proved to be extremely important much later in the series) meant that, when the 4Kids dub reached what would have been episode 143 in the original Japanese, it was only at 104 by its own count. (I won't even get into the asinine visual edits and horrific acting.) Thankfully, FUNimation rescued the license when 4Kids lost the rights, and they're now releasing it completely uncut in 13-episode (or so) boxsets, as well as streaming large portions of it on their website, including the most recently-broadcast episodes from Japan subtitled. The upcoming DVD release, Season 2 Fourth Voyage, will take them up to episode 103; they also broadcast episodes 144-195 at one time across American and Australian TV. Although it's an incredibly high order to match the superb Japanese main cast (particularly Luffy's Japanese actress), FUNi's English cast does an excellent job in their own right. Most importantly, they manage to capture the genuine personalities and spirits of their characters, which are definitely the series' greatest strength.

Just to close, I know the series is a massive investment of time in its entirety, but there's nothing forcing you to burn through it all in a month's time; so long as you watch more than one episode a week, you're staying ahead of the Japanese broadcast rate, and you can pretty much proceed at your own pace. I've been watching the show with a group of my friends for about two-and-a-half years at a pace of about four episodes per week, and we just hit episode 400 tonight, so that gives you a good benchmark. In any case, if anything I said in this post strikes your fancy, try starting at the beginning and giving a decent chunk of episodes a shot, and you may soon find yourself as hooked as I am. Smile
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Re: Personal Tastes

I completely agree. I'd made a point of this in my original posting that matters of taste are subjective to each person. My goal was to gauge the thoughts and opinions of others more involved with it because, I mean, come on... 433 episodes!? We're talkin' crazy numbers here.

But I will say, having seen what few episodes I have, I dug the unusual quirkiness of what I saw, despite the episodes seen out of order and limited knowledge of the show overall.

Re: The Marathon

My other trepidation is I have a bit of an addictive (not really the right word, but the only one that comes to mind right now) personality when it comes to things like a new series, reading for fun (instead of work/school), video games, and the like. I literally have to refuse myself, avoid it all together, lest I get sucked in and the urge to marathon comes over me (which is not good for school). School is first among all things for me.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Shonen anime adaptions in general intentionally draw things out unnecessarily in order to compensate for not catching up to the manga; pacing, in particular for fights, can become trying.

Have only seen a little bit of the One Piece anime series, but that, along with not capturing the art in the same way Mamoru Hosoda's sixth film does leaves it wanting compared to the manga -- which obviously doesn't deal with budget or plot constraints, and is also far cheaper if you're interested in buying it all. If you're not adversed to reading comics or don't have a high preference for animation over it, I would definitely recommend checking out the manga.

This blog post is a great explanation for why One Piece continues to be excellent, whereas most other modern Shonen Jump manga suffer due to elongation (if they're even worth it to begin with). It's a journey that you never want to finish because Oda's imagination and love for his world and characters is endless.

Edit: These paragraphs cut to the heart of the matter:

nomadotto wrote:
Friendship is very important in most Shounen Jump series, with people who try to be all bad-ass by themselves getting kicked around and realizing the true value of friendship, etc. But One Piece isn’t about that, well, most of the time (the whole Robin getting kidnapped was about the traditional Shounen Jump meaning of friendship). Instead, it’s about a guy (I’m gonna refer to Luffy as a guy, even though later I’ll make a claim about his mental age/ ability to connect with the reader) who wants to be the leader of a bunch of friends who go exploring and do cool things.

This is even more important because, due to Luffy’s actions, he’s obviously intended to be a contact point for the child-reader. He’s a child in a man’s body, but not in the weird, Fauknerian man-child sense (well, if One Piece were more serious, he would be). So the child-reader of One Piece is supposed to associate with Luffy, and seek to emulate him, because he’s uniformly shown in a positive light. Moreover, once you get past the Macguffin of the One Piece, you can see that the reason for Luffy’s travels is pretty much the travel itself. He’s going places because he, with the help of others, can go places, and, so, he can live his life to the fullest by being out there, in the middle of things. So, rather than trying to assuage the child/teenager that he too can function in the adult word, if he tries and is good, it tries to say, “look, you don’t have to worry about tomorrow and growing up, it’ll happen. What’s important is for you to go out and make friends and explore the world.” Which is an important message that I feel needs to be said more often.

But for those of us who are no-longer young (oh man, recently, I have felt so old, well, old is the wrong word, more like, an adult with the whole “gonna TA a class” and “people assuming I’m like 26 and have a job”), what’s the value of One Piece, and when, precisely, am I going to get back to those pretty charts? Well, for the same reason that Tolkien proposed that there was a value in adults reading fairy stories, to begin with, and, secondly, because One Piece does a damn good job of taking the endless rising action Shounen Jump formula and making it into an actual narrative structure. You see, in the early volumes of One Piece, there are a number of things referenced (the big ones being Luffy talking about who he needs for a crew and Usop telling a bunch of stories) that, slowly, come to pass (Luffy now has everyone needed for the ship but a musician, and that might be resolved in the current arc, while I haven’t kept much track of Ussop’s lies recently, but, for example, he tells a story when he’s introduced about how he saw a giant goldfish, and, about 10ish volumes later, a giant goldfish is indeed spotted). There are a finite number of these predictions, suggesting that Oda does have a conclusion in mind.

Moreover, the fundemental problem of trying to match the story of growing up to a structure of endless rising action is that you eventually do grow up, and it’s kind of a bummer. There’s no rising action to infinity involved with growing up. Exploration and friendship, on the other hand, do offer almost endless rising action, each time you go somewhere new, and each time you make a new friend, it’s not only important, but, also, it adds to the stock of experiences that you have without necessarily needing to be bigger. Because that’s the problem of rising action, especially when the primary conflict is physical. If you’ve just beaten the Robot Devil and saved the world from eternal destruction, what’s left to do if your entire story is based around finding evil and destroying it? However, each time you see a new mountain, if you’re not jaded, it’s different, and the experience has value, regardless of how many other mountains you’ve seen before.

That’s the value of One Piece. It takes a bad structure, and, by virtue of the story it tells, and, by virtue of the characters (who are anything but jaded), it makes it work. Also, it’s fantastic voyage, if you’re willing to look at things from a child’s perspective, into the great wide world, which, to most people who really think about it, is so vast and wonderful that it’s nearly as miraculous as islands where it’s winter all the time and cities built on clouds in the sky.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
What it comes down to for me personally, is that One Piece isn't dragging on... It's long because the story itself is long. The arcs are not just extensions to the series like in Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, etc. they are part of a large over arching story... And the large over arching story is not simply that Luffy wants to become king of the pirates, it's also about the history of the vast and unique One Piece world and what exactly it means to be the king of the pirates.

And that is what makes One Piece so fascinating to me. I've said it before and I'll say it again: One Piece may be extremely long, but it plays out more like a much shorter story. Some of the things that are brought back from a few hundred episodes, well you just couldn't see them coming from any direction... lol.

Plus it really helps that One Piece is its own world. It has its own history, and it is very, very large. To me, it's like looking at the history of a completely different world... And I love history. Even though I'm well aware of the fact that the One Piece world is fiction, it interests me a lot. Anime hyper
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
Now, that's a surprise Top Gun. I didn't actually wonder about what gender Luffy's seiyu was, but I thought it was a male all along. By knowing that it's a woman, now I'll be able to fully enjoy his(her) voice. It's also quite funny because, most shonen failed so badly with female seiyu, just look at Dragon Ball and Rurouni Kenshin(which isn't even shonen by the way).
braves

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It's also quite funny because, most shonen failed so badly with female seiyu, just look at Dragon Ball and Rurouni Kenshin(which isn't even shonen by the way).

I know this is off topic, but Kenshin is definitely a shonen series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
Just caught the first episode of One-Piece (Funimation) and I must say...

Why does Funi insist on re-recording the OP & ED titles of their shows now? 4Kids, which gets poor marks for redaction/censorship, had a much better Opening theme, hands down. Is this just another cost-savings for them, in addition to giving more work to their cross-trained, in-house talent?

Also, Colleen Clinkenbeard -who makes me positively weak-kneed as the sultry and enigmatic Yuko; her voice like butter on pancakes or a smooth, single malt scotch- is... well, it makes me cringe more than a little to hear her strain, pitching her voice lower into the "gravel" to play Luffy. I just want to fetch her a warm mug of milky tea with honey on some of her lines.

1 down... only 432 left to go, if I'm not counting the movies.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Why does Funi insist on re-recording the OP & ED titles of their shows now? 4Kids, which gets poor marks for redaction/censorship, had a much better Opening theme, hands down. Is this just another cost-savings for them, in addition to giving more work to their cross-trained, in-house talent?

You...you thought the 4Piece Rap was better than FUNi's dub of the first OP? Like, seriously, with a straight face?

Um...wow. Shocked No offense to you personally, but that song is just about the cardinal sin in a long litany of sins that 4Kids inflicted on the title. It's a flat-out musical abortion. Vic's take on "We Are!" may be a tiny bit rough around the edges, but it's infinitely better than that trash. And it's not "cost-saving" at all; if anything, it actually costs more money than leaving the song alone, since the original Japanese lyrics are included on the Japanese audio track.

Again, I don't mean any offense to you personally, but I've literally never seen anyone above the age of 10 who could even remotely stand that rap. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2