• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament, Part XLVI:Voting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salvo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Best First Episode - 4 pts
Best Leader - 2 pts
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Can I change my vote?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Best Teacher/Mentor 4 pts
Best Leader 2 pts
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Can I change my vote?

Yes, but make a new post about it as well as changing your vote in the original or I might miss it.

And I would point out that The Naked Beast's point totals were a little off at that point. (Not sure if he caught the Ggultra2764 edited his vote at some point.)

With 20 voters now registered, Biggest Otaku and Best First Episode are tied for the lead at 32 points, with Best Teacher/Mentor trailing but still competitive at 25. (Really, it's just a couple of first-place votes from being in the thick of things.) The other two options are functionally also-rans at this point. (Leader has a lot of votes but they're all second or third choices.)

Oh, and just a clarification: if there is a tie then the first tiebreaker will be most first-place votes. (Otaku currently has the edge on that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Changed my vote, Best First Episode gets 4 and Best Mentor gets 2.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Best Teacher/Mentor - 4 pts
Best Loser - 2 pts

I actually wouldn't mind a couple of the other options but, in all honesty, I'd rather keep things simple right now.
farichada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Biggest Otaku - 4 pts
Best Leader - 2 pts
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
4 Points for Best Leader and 2 for Best loser ................ and seeing as my points may be useless i hope otaku beats 1st ep.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
VOTE CHANGE VOTE CHANGE VOTE CHANGE

Best First Episode: 4 pts (same)
Best Leader: 2 pts (changed category)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
So, Key, others, what do you think of this? It may affect whether or not people would rethink their votes.

I've been thinking about the Best First Episode category a bit and the search for a focus and I'm thinking it's going to have to focus and require something that people haven't considered, and that is "uniqueness." Being a "good" first episode is just not going to cut it to be the "best," something will have to be surprising in it's execution, or be a originator of a trend. Not necessarily just presenting a unique world or characters, because any good show has to do that, but do something significantly different than the rest.

We've been saying the best first episodes are ones that make you want to see more, but that is not a definable criteria.
So not only would a nominee have to satisfy the criteria of cogent story-telling, excellent action/humor/horror/romance and properly introduce the world/characters/theme, but it have to do it in an innovative way, tweak, alter or subvert expectations.... as well as making you want to see the rest.... even if the rest of the series isn't as good as the first episode made you think it would be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Best First Episode: 4 points
TBD: 2 points

Best First Episode is the most intriguing tournament that's come along in a while. I'm uncertain what to select for 2nd place though, so I'm just leaving a placeholder for now.

I'm with Key, I think Best Mentor sounds extremely dull.

And I think I'd prefer a field with 64 contestants than 128 - those tournaments end up going too long and I normally lose interest after a few rounds up until the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
If Best First Episode wins - and right now it's the leader - then we're going to have an awful hard time trimming down the field to just 64 because it will be one of the broadest fields of contestants that we've ever had. Essentially you'd be asking for the Nominations phase to also be the first round.

Spastic Minnow: What you're essentially asking is to do Most Innovative First Episode, which I would classify as a significantly different concept.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, what you have to ask is what makes an episode "best" and I think innovation might be the most arguable distinction. It doesn't have to be ground-breaking, maybe just a tweak or aspect of the story-telling. It doesn't have to be "It changed my idea of anime as I know it in one episode" but something as simple as a unique use of music can be counted as an innovation, first person narration, fully integrated CGI, main character is presented as amoral.

Some discernable quality has to stick out, be described, and be defended, if you want to call it "innovation" then that's what it is.

And it is not the only thing to consider, just a major consideration.

As I said, I'll support it but if it should win we should make the deciding factors a little clearer before the nominations even start.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If Best First Episode wins - and right now it's the leader - then we're going to have an awful hard time trimming down the field to just 64 because it will be one of the broadest fields of contestants that we've ever had. Essentially you'd be asking for the Nominations phase to also be the first round.

Yeah, I do have to agree with that. I still don't think it would be a terrible idea but First Episode is probably not the best tournament to try a smaller field out on.

And yes, I am pretty much asking the nominations to be the first round because the first round as it stands is the most tedious and least informed round of the bunch (not to take away from the guide, mind you, it is definitely essential and very helpful but it has its limitations that later rounds overcome better when there are stronger options with better arguments behind them).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I've changed my vote to give another vote to Best First Episode. I really don't want to see Best Otaku get up. Of the almost 300 anime titles I've seen fewer than 10 would have any sort of otaku in them. I would effectively be excluded from participating. And, besides, I have little interest in that sort of character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7