• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Big Funi Hustlas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Funimation has a rather strict no honorifics policy in their dubs. This is one reason why I prefer Sentai or Bang Zoom dubs since those would use onee-sama.

I'm not a fan of all the liberties Funi takes in their dubs, so I usually stick to subs for their shows. If they didn't want to go with something else, they could have at least left onee-sama unchanged in the subs. I really don't see a reason for their high level of localization to bleed into the subs.

AbZeroNow wrote:
"Sis or Big Sis" or her just calling Mikoto by name would have been better IMHO.

Agreed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Big sis, big sister, elder sister, etc. Plenty of adequate ways to translate and convey the meaning behind it. No one uses sissy in their diction except as a put-down.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Funimation has a rather strict no honorifics policy in their dubs.
Basilisk, Samurai 7, and Ookami-san would disagree with that. The "-shi" in Mushi-shi could also be considered an honorific, though it's not a widely used one. It does show up from Saori in Oreimo, and even some of of the fansubbers localized it to Mr..

Quote:
"Sis or Big Sis" or her just calling Mikoto by name would have been better IMHO.
But if they'd just gone with the name, there would've been outcry about how they whitewashed and obscured an essential character relationship. Though if I had to make that call, I'd go with "Dear Sister" to keep the formality and get a closer lip flap match.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Funimation has a rather strict no honorifics policy in their dubs.
Basilisk, Samurai 7, and Ookami-san would disagree with that.

Surprised you didn't mention Ouran.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But if they'd just gone with the name, there would've been outcry about how they whitewashed and obscured an essential character relationship. Though if I had to make that call, I'd go with "Dear Sister" to keep the formality and get a closer lip flap match.

It wouldn't have been an ideal scenario, but it would have been much better than sissy. I'd have bought the releases if Funi went with any of the suggestions you quoted or your suggestion.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
The MKV format might have been around for awhile but it wasn't a fansub standard until late 08 early 09 at the earliest. I remember because that's when pretty much every group switched over to it and I had to get a new media player to be able to keep watching.

I still have Index season 1 on fansub on one of my external drives even though I own the show on DVD and it's only AVI unless another group did it because at the time when I did upgrade to MKV their wasn't a MKV copy to be had that I could find and I did look. Now when season 2 of Index came out of course that one was MKV as well as all of Railgun.

As for Biribiri at least on the group that I have/watched they left it as is along with One-sama so I don't ever recall the name shocker ever coming up.
jlaking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
At least they got Cowboy Bebop out in a timely matter, was a little irked that they didn't tell people that the limited edition were only so many copies each so order ASAP by the time I found out they were gone.

FUNi was pretty clear that their store edition was 2500 units and the Amazon edition was 10,000 units.

So it was not their fault you were not paying attention.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
FUNi was pretty clear that their store edition was 2500 units and the Amazon edition was 10,000 units.

I wonder how come the Amazon edition had 4x the amount.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Dfens wrote:
At least they got Cowboy Bebop out in a timely matter, was a little irked that they didn't tell people that the limited edition were only so many copies each so order ASAP by the time I found out they were gone.

Not to pile on but jlaking is correct. It was listed on Funi's blogs, in the ANN retail forum, on the product pages on Funi's website, on YouTube and in many other places on the net.

If they were to release another limited set with a soundtrack I would probably buy it again.

jlaking wrote:
Dfens wrote:
Hey Funimation want to know what happened to the Index Franchise you dragged your feet for so long on Index and Railgun what over 3 years after the show came out that people got tired of waiting and or just moved on.

You can blame the long wait on the Geneon Universal merger process that cause problems for FUNi in getting materials.

I don't know. I think that only goes so far. I mean did everyone at Geneon Universal just stop working because of the merger? I think not. The merger could have been blamed for the older titles as that was probably a tangled web of contracts and rights, but the newer ones too? I'm not willing to place blame on Funimation though, it was probably something on Japan's side but putting everything on the merger is too easy and convenient.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
jlaking wrote:

I wonder how come the Amazon edition had 4x the amount.

Because Amazon has 4x as many customers, if not more than that.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The Roku channel has long been neglected, and while it's un-hampered by spammy banners and distractions, it's harder to base your viewing around it because it doesn't have a favorites system like the iOS app. In fact, it doesn't even have search. You can only scroll through featured and most recent episodes, or browse by category. And, like most curated collections, the browse categories are frequently nonsensical

This is my biggest complaint with viewing Funi's streaming shows. The Roku channel for Crunchyroll is far superior. It has search, a queue (an absolute must), and the browsing categories actually make sense. There's even a "current simulcast" browsing category, iirc. Also, Space Dandy, which was one of their "simul-dubs," doesn't have any dub episodes available on the Funimation Roku app.

Also, I was the one who asked the question about the English subs not being available along with the English audio track on Bebop. I realize that might sound like an odd way to watch, but I have a good reason. My wife is hard of hearing, so we watch everything with subtitles, and I've become so used to always having subs on that it feels weird watching something with them off. Plus, my hearing isn't quite what it used to be, and the subs are nice to have in case I miss the odd word or two.

I've noticed that it's not terribly uncommon for anime Blu-rays to not give you the option for both English audio and English subs at the same time. Usually you can do some kind of workaround, but with at least a few of Funi's titles, it's flat out impossible. I imagine it's because the main reason people would want English subs is to watch the show in Japanese.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
The MKV format might have been around for awhile but it wasn't a fansub standard until late 08 early 09 at the earliest. I remember because that's when pretty much every group switched over to it and I had to get a new media player to be able to keep watching.

I still have Index season 1 on fansub on one of my external drives even though I own the show on DVD and it's only AVI unless another group did it because at the time when I did upgrade to MKV their wasn't a MKV copy to be had that I could find and I did look. Now when season 2 of Index came out of course that one was MKV as well as all of Railgun.

I was downloading mkvs in 2007, so most groups were definitely leading with them at that point and keeping avi encodes around for the stragglers. I don't it made too much of a difference until we started getting 720p releases making the need for softsubs and more efficient encoding all the more real; even these days when you get hardsubbed releases they're going to mp4s. Eclipse did 720p mkvs for Index season 1.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:
The Roku channel for Crunchyroll is far superior. It has search, a queue (an absolute must), and the browsing categories actually make sense. There's even a "current simulcast" browsing category, iirc. Also, Space Dandy, which was one of their "simul-dubs," doesn't have any dub episodes available on the Funimation Roku app.

That may have had something to do with the fact that Space Dandy had an actual network broadcast, so there could have been some exclusivity granted to Adult Swim.

Quote:
I've noticed that it's not terribly uncommon for anime Blu-rays to not give you the option for both English audio and English subs at the same time. Usually you can do some kind of workaround, but with at least a few of Funi's titles, it's flat out impossible. I imagine it's because the main reason people would want English subs is to watch the show in Japanese.

It's probably a side effect of forcing subtitles on when watching with Japanese audio, which is used as a method to deter reverse importation.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Surprised you didn't mention Ouran.
I knew I was forgetting at least one title...

Kyon27 wrote:
It's an anti-reverse-importation feature; the idea is to make the releases less appealing to Japanese fans by forcing English subtitles to be on if the Japanese audio track is playing. Worse still are some NISA sub-only releases where the subtitles can't be turned off -- yay for effectively hardsubbed video! The only Funi Blu-Rays I have that do allow subtitle toggling are the Mnemosyne discs, and that was a relatively early release. It'd be nice if there was a way to allow subtitle toggling with the English audio active but not when Japanese audio is active (while keeping the audio switching disabled), but I don't know if the format supports that kind of programming. (Note: EyeOfPain beat me to it.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Are there any computer BD player applications that allow subtitle toggling? When I play with options in (forgive me) VLC when watching DVDs, I can often access subtitles that weren't even offered in the menu selection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7