• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, I'm glad I'm not the only one things about this and I look forward to starting discussions about the next one.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Haven't forgotten about the anime tourneys from my end. Just been occupied with trying to find work and finding random ways to keep myself entertained if I'm burnt out from anime. I still plan to participate in any tournaments if we have any since they have been a major asset for me to look into anime titles I haven't considered looking into and are under the radar to many fans. I can thank these tournaments for helping me look into Legend of the Galactic Heroes from earlier in the year, which is now among one of my personal favorite anime titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
farichada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Expressing interest as well. Biggest Otaku, Biggest Loser, Least Successful -- all seem interesting to me. I think a merit based contest would be neato and even Most Successful wouldn't be a repeat of Most Intelligent in my eyes. Both L and Leloch ended up in a state I wouldn't normally call to be an ideal or successful one.

I wouldn't mind another series based tournament, but it's kind of hard to find one with very objective criteria. For example a Most Sentimental or even Most Complex anime tournament would probably end having many different interpretations of what constitute as sentimental and complex. However, I think Most x is better than Best x because you at least have a trait or quality identified.

As for the timing, an earlier thread the better but in all honestly I wouldn't mind if the tournament started early next year due to holidays and such.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
I really liked the series-based tournament but I think I'd rather have a character one next, especially since there are some interesting options on the table already and probably more ideas out there to be thrown into the mix.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I'm looking forward to a new tournament when I no longer watch anime, but who cares Very Happy

As for a new exciting topic, maybe a repetition of the Duo Tournament would be a good idea. It was the most popular tourney and the one that seems to me is the most likely to bring some new blood.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
As for a new exciting topic, maybe a repetition of the Duo Tournament would be a good idea. It was the most popular tourney and the one that seems to me is the most likely to bring some new blood.

I think Most Moe Redux would bring in a huge amount of new blood. It also offers a staggering amount of new strong choices, whereas how many strong duos have there been since its tournament? Some, but not anywhere near as much.

But none of the other regular participants wants to do another Moe tournament. I don't think it will ever happen unless the decision committee consists of me talking to myself in a bloody phonebooth.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I don't know why I'm looking forward to a new tournament when I no longer watch anime, but who cares Very Happy
Wait, you don't watch anime anymore? =( why?

Another Best Duo tournament would be fun, but I agree with dtm42 that it's still too soon. I've changed my opinion a bit about a Most Moe tournament. I'd be willing but it's not my first choice. Maybe for the tournament after this one.

What interests me most so far is Best Mentor. Best Leader also is appealing, and Biggest Creep sounds like it could be entertaining.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see how redoing a tournament would work unless you made the majority of the past entrants ineligible. I can't really muster up any enthusiasm for making the same arguments all over again otherwise.

I still have zero interest in moe anything.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
But you see marie-antoinette, Most Moe was held in like 2005. Most people on the Forums today didn't even post back then. Heck, many weren't even fans back then. So there would be little overlap in people.

Plus there have been many, many, many, many, many new Moe characters that have come out in the past seven years. I know plenty of them would easily hold their own against the characters from the last tournament.

Finally, Moe is super popular that would open the doors to a lot of new participants. If we did hold Most Moe Redux and you bailed, but in return we got five people to replace you, that would be worth it from a participation point of view.

I know that's harsh, and I do want a topic that people are okay with. But we have to be practical. The last tournament really concerned me with the low turn-out and we have to do something to fix it. Otherwise it will be just a dwindling number of the same old faces.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, yes, I admit my comments were more based on the idea of re-doing the Duos tournament, which I think would be redundant and thus not very interesting. The Moe one probably would have a lot more new contenders.

I still just couldn't care less about that topic though. And given how vehemently the prospect has been voted down the last couple of times, it certainly looks like I'm not the only one, which makes me question if the draw of new people is worth the loss of all the old ones who one can generally rely on to vote each week.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait, you don't watch anime anymore? =( why?

My interest in anime has burnt-out, but I will wait a bit longer to check if it's only temporary.

I proposed the Duo tournament, because it was the most popular, I think it would work. Some users where not around when it was held and there is enough strong duos to make it interesting. Besides, there are some characters that would have better chance, for example: the main characters from Spice & Wolf since the last tournament this show has gained a new season.

Other ideas which I like is Best Leader. I suppose it will be full of fairly charismatic characters and people like charismatic characters for obvious reasons.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
What I don't like about the moe tournament: I don't have any (sexual) preference for neither little girls nor women in general. It feels like all hetero/bisexual women and bi/homosexual men will feel a bit left out of participating in the tournament. I've never heard someone classify a male character as 'moe', but even then, they would either never be nominated or never win. I'm not interested in discussing how moe a (female) character is - is that weird? Do other women like this concept, for what reasons? Could just be me who's not in for it.

Now... I didn't want to be the negative dude(tte), because I would be interested in participating again. That's why I put this positive thing at the end Wink. (Or wait... maybe you're all sighing now, because I'd ruin all the fun or something Wink)

Other than that, I'm open to most ideas. Maybe it's good to think about the length of the tournament, since some ideas are really fun but more suited for a shorter length, while some need a longer tournament because of the huge amount of possible characters.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I am not thrilled by moe tournament, because I have no interest in the characters that will be in it. I guess that the pool of characters will be from series which I don't like and that the matches will be something like that: who is more moe? The dying girl on the snow from Kanon or the girl who dies in the middle of summer in Air. Honestly, I couldn't care less. I'm one of the few people who are unfeeling enough to think that Air has a happy ending.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
What I don't like about the moe tournament: I don't have any (sexual) preference for neither little girls...

Neither do I, and I'm a heterosexual male.

Your point is?

A Mystery wrote:
I've never heard someone classify a male character as 'moe'...

Tell me, how much of the Forum do you actually read? I and others covered this literally yesterday.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42: Ah, I see I made a very awful statement there, because I wanted to refer to female anime characters. Still, I have no adoration for moe whatsoever and I'm still thinking: would people vote for male moe characters and would they have a chance to win? Since even if the definition of moe is broad and flexible, the standard type of a moe girl most people think of would have more chance, I believe.

Sorry, but do I have to read every topic in this forum?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 43