• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which American cartoons are popular in Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Teen Titans?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, in Japan, the Simpsons sponsor a soda called CC lemon. The reason why it's popular there is because of their appearances in the commercials. I read that the tv show isn't very available there. It's only shown in a pay cable named Wowow.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder if MEGAS XLR will be a hit in Japan . . .
CutieSailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Well, in my opinion, after PPGZ, one can be sure that PPG was pretty popular in Japan.

I reed once that Totally Spies was very popular in Japan, to the point they started to air it at afternoons, when most non-Japanese cartoons are aired at not-so-aviable schedules.

Oh, btw, in case you're interested, here's the Japanese dub cast of some non-Japanese cartoons. (source: Japanese Wiki)

SOUTH PARK:
*Stan - Yuuki Hiro
*Kyle, Jimmy, Craig, Clyde - Kappei Yamaguchi
*Cartman - LiLiCo
*Kenny, Tweek, Pip, Towelie - Mitsuru Ogata
*Butters, Wendy, Bebe, many females - Noriko Suzuki
*Timmy, Mr. Garrison - Tomorowo Taguchi
*Token, Mrs. Chocksondick, Mr. Slave, Randy, Ned - Kenji Nomura
*Mr. Mackey - Takashi Matsuo
*Jesus - Lily Franky and Masayuki Nakata

PPG:
*Blossom - Kaori Asoh
*Bubbles - Yuuka Nanri
*Buttercup - Yukiko Ikeda
*Proffesor Utonium - Motomu Azaki
*Mayor - Akihiko Ishizumi
*Miss Bellum, Little Arturo - Urara Takano
*Miss Keane - Junko Komiyama
*Talking Dog, Narrator - Kazuki Kosakai
*Mitch, Snake, Skinny - Haruo Satou
*Mojo Jojo - Kouji Ishii
*Him, Ace, Jr - Shintaroh Sonohka
*Fuzzy Lumpkins - Takashi Matsuyama
*Princess Morebucks - Rie Iwatsubo (1st voice), Chinami Koshimura (2nd voice)
*Sedusa - Yumi Kusaka
*Big Billy, Bossman, Abracadaver, Lenny - Rintarou Nishi
*Grubber - Jun Nishihara
*Brick, Mr. Mime - Tatsumine Tansoh
*Boomer - Ichirohta Koizumi
*Butch - Shigeo Matsuzawa
*Boogie Man - Yukio Yamagata
*Major Man - Takeru Miyashita
*Sandman - Haruki Sayama
*Kitty - Teppei Shibuya
*Femme Fatale - Yuki Kaida
*Mask Skara - Sakiko Uran
*Dick Hardley - Kouji Yusa

TOTALLY SPIES:
*Sam - Naoko Matsui
*Clover - Kazusa Murai
*Alex - Omi Minami
*Jerry - Kyoshi Kobayashi
*Mandy - Kei Kobayashi

THE SIMPSONS:
*Homer - Tohru Ouhira (series), George Tokoro (film)
*Marge - Miyuki Ichijou (series), Akiko Wada (film)
*Bart - Junko Hori (series), Atsushi Tamura (film)
*Lisa - Chie Koujiro (series), Becky (film)
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, most of the early animated shorts over here IMMENSELY impacted anime in stylistic choices, (big eyes anybody?) And of course, I'd guess that more recent US cartoons have some level of popularity in Japan, but animation has always lagged behind the almighty manga in Japan, so I'd be more interested in how popular certain comics and graphic novels are in Japan as well.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Hm, well, I can't be sure, but I can deduce that pretty much any Genndy Tartokovsky cartoon (PPG, Dexter's Lab, etc.) would find some niche success in Japan, at the least, once again, the Simpsons, Marvel comics and the like could also be successful (boosted by the recent Ultimo series that Stan Lee helped create), and though I don't know how popular it is, but I do think Ben 10 is on TV in Japan, (or was at some point) because I saw someone talking about one of the Pillows' songs being it's OP.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
back when I lived there, they were showing Dexter, Samurai Jack, PPG, etc. on Cartoon Network Japan. I didn't have the channel, but I remember for a while at a Gust family restaurant you could watch clips dubbed into Japanese, along with Tom and Jerry at little table-top video terminals. And it doesn't surprise me at all to see Tom and Jerry as most popular. They were even the cartoon mascots for Shikoku Bank. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Anyone happen to know the cast (and popularity level) of Avatar: The Last Airbender in Japan?

Ever since I got sucked into total Avatard geekdom, I've been wanting to see some Japanese-dubbed Avatar. So far, I've only been able to find 30-second promos on Youtube, but I still have the question of what Zuko sounds like in Japanese...not to mention Uncle Iroh, who was voiced by a Japanese-American Actor named Mako for the first 2 seasons (he unfortunately passed away b4 season 3 started production).
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and does the current JP generation still have an odd nostalgia for "Wacky Races"? Shocked

(Even leaving aside "Scramble Wars" and "Ruin Explorers", Miyazaki made his own generational tribute to Muttley, in "Howl's Moving Castle".)
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
mmmmm....I think TMNT was popular in japan,they made japanese openings for the 2003 series and there was that TMNT OVA, "TMNT Super Choujin Heroes"

and were'nt many 80's cartoons back than animated/joint productions by the japanese such as the real ghostbusters cartoon,Dinosaucers, and the early episodes of muppet babies?
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. Can't believe this old thread was brought back.

Anyway, I saw the Japanese openings for TMNT. I thought they were done pretty good.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Tom and Jerry lol, that reminds me of a funny vid I saw of a Kirby song tuned to T&J (it's timed perfectly, please watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCEKT2JdOk)

I know Gargoyles was also dubbed in Japanese (Kankuro's seiyuu is Brooklyn's voice :3). Does anyone if they liked it?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I know the Hanna-Barbera cartoon like The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, and Birdman was very popular in Japan back in the 60's when anime was still in it's infancy. I even read it on the Japanese Wikito back myself up. I've seen the Japanese opening of HB Cartoon.

Penelope Pitstop or ペネロッピー絶体絶命 (Extremity Peneroppi ) Japanese opening

Wacky Racer (Japanese title: Chikichikimashin hard race) Japanese intro

1969 Dastardly And Muttley In Their (Japanese Intro)

Dick Dastardly was known in Japan as "Sukaikido Buraku Maō" or "The Skykid, Black Devil" and Muttley was known as Ken-Ken in Japan. Dastardly Japanese VA was Chikao Ōtsuka, father of Akio Otsuka (who would voice Sold Snake in Metal Gear Solid).

My favorite HB cartoon The Herculoid went to Japan also. Here's the Japanese opening

The Herculoids in Japan was known as 怪獣王ターガン Kaijû Ô Tâgan (Monster King Targan).

The character were renamed in Japanese:

Targan (Zandor)
Marmi (Tarra),
Kane (Dorno),
Maryû (Zok)
Rikira (Igoo)
Tangurô (Tundro)
Hyûhyû (Gloop)
Bôbô (Gleep).

I believe Wacky Racer played an influence on Japanese animation. Anybody remember During the '80s, animation production house Artmic (now AIC) produced Scramble Wars, starring the super deformed versions of characters from Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force and other shows that Artmic created. Bandai also parodied Wacky Racers in one of the SD Gundam OVA, the mad ace Yazan Gable of Zeta Gundam, into a clear Dick Dastardly homage (including oversized chin) and another villain as his Muttley-esque sidekick, complete with a dog-like snout and a raspy, hushed laugh. In 1993, Tatsunoko Productions released a Wacky Races-styled OVA special featuring the characters from the popular and long running Time Bokan franchise and its spin-offs, Yatterman, Zendaman, and Otasukeman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I've often wondered something. I've wondered how the Japanese feel about American animators imitating their style? I've never really got a good answer. Even my own post on the matter has never given me a clear answer. Are there any Japanese websites that are concerned with American animation? If there are,what are their names? I'd like to see them.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
You didn't really need to revive a 8 year old thread.

It was already pretty much covered in your other topic here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=461668
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6