• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato 2199 Anime to Launch Overseas as Star Blazers 2199

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
I can see why they originally used the name Yamato in the original amine and way back when the real Yamato was built. The name is very significant to the Japanese people, and no doubt the sinking of the battleship was a severe blow to Japanese pride back then.

I won't go into the reasons for thew war or its conduct, etc. here, not enough disk space on the servers, but the name is very significant there, much more so than even the 19th century Frigate USS Constitution, or even USS Enterprise from the 20th century here in the US, or HMS Victory in the UK.

But, outside of Japan, the significance tends to have the opposite effect among those who understand the history of the Japanese Empire from the 1880s through 1945.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
Well they can change the name as they want. I have bought the Japanese BDs 1-4 (which has sub) and will continue that.

I honestly didn't watch Star Blazer when I was a kid, I only watched the original Yamato series and movies about 10 years ago. And of course the resurrection (2009) movie. Which I hope won't be changed in the same way when Funi releases it.

Last edited by Majin Tenshi on Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
If it's a remake of Space Battleship Yamato, if Yamato is its name, if that's the name the Japanese are using for the Japanese version of the show, then that's the name that should be used in the English version, in both the subtitles and the English dub. Do they call it Yamato in the show? Then it's Yamato. I don't give a crap what YOU want it to be called, it's not called anything else. It's the Yamato. Period.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If it's a remake of Space Battleship Yamato, if Yamato is its name, if that's the name the Japanese are using for the Japanese version of the show, then that's the name that should be used in the English version, in both the subtitles and the English dub. Do they call it Yamato in the show? Then it's Yamato. I don't give a crap what YOU want it to be called, it's not called anything else. It's the Yamato. Period.

Obviously you have no idea of the reasons behind the original creators' choosing of the name, and the decision to change it for Western audiences. It's close in effect to a German animation naming a space ship to defend the earth the Aryan, or Goebbels or the Himmler. That would go over really well.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:

It's close in effect to a German animation naming a space ship to defend the earth the Aryan, or Goebbels or the Himmler. That would go over really well.

Yamato isn't nearly as infamous a name as Göbbels or Himmler. Besides, the Gamilas empire doesn't really work as an allegory for the Allied.

The live-action movie is Space Battleship Yamato outside of Japan at least in Australia, Spain, Germany, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Thai-land. In France it's named Space Battleship - L'ultime espoir but the bluray cover acknowledges the original title.

BTW, in Florida there seems to be quite a lot óf Japanese restaurants and other companies, with the word Yamato in their name.

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
guildmaster wrote:

It's close in effect to a German animation naming a space ship to defend the earth the Aryan, or Goebbels or the Himmler. That would go over really well.

Yamato isn't nearly as infamous a name as Göbbels or Himmler. Besides, the Gamilas empire doesn't really work as an allegory for the Allied.

If you had a better understanding you'd realize that Gamilas was an allegory for the Germans.

You need to read Mechademia 2.

As for restaurants, the name Yamato is as natural as Ming's is for a Chinese restaurant. It's when the old sunken BB was connected to the name that stirred up controversy back then, and still does to many.

Last edited by guildmaster on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:

If you had a getter understanding you'd realise that Gamilas was an allegory for the Germans.

What makes you think I didn't already know that?
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
guildmaster wrote:

If you had a getter understanding you'd realise that Gamilas was an allegory for the Germans.

What makes you think I didn't already know that?

Then why did you state that it didn't make a good allegory to the Allies??? Question

There's a Yamato restaurant close to my house in FL, and we've eaten there a few times. Good but not great. We got spoiled by another place before, but it changed ownership Crying or Very sad
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:

Then why did you state that it didn't make a good allegory to the Allies??? Question

'The Allied' was the phrase I meant, and also my correction before your next post.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
guildmaster wrote:

'The Allied' was the phrase I meant, and also my correction before your next post.

I see your post says "the Allied".

And that is different from "the Allies" in exactly what manner?

You are certainly not trying to imply that Gamilas represented the western allies of WW2, are you?

The bottom line is that the original anime was an attempt at revisionist history to make it appear that the Japanese (in the frame work of the larger earth defense league or whatever ) were combating the evil Gamilas empire with Gamilas being portrayed as an allegory for the WW2 NAZI Germans, when in fact Japan was Allied with Germany in that war.

A nice bit of revisionism if one can pull it off, and with the lack of historical knowledge on the part of many it can work.

You need to read the book Mechademia 2 and then write back afterwards.

You must also consider that the WW2 pacific theater was nearly a 1 on 1 with the US and Japan, most of the rest of the world had no stake or interest and it did not affect them at all. This is excepting of course China, Korea and the British & Dutch Imperialists (which deservedly saw their colonies vaporize!). Even these peoples had little or no knowledge of the IJNS Yamato.

As such, it's no wonder that Yamato has no political significance (really no significance at all) outside of the US, where even is the US, as long as it's not tied to a earth saving space battleship it is not really politically charged.

I left out the French in the above. Jeez how could I have done that, it was those SOBs who caused the 25 year fighting in Vietnam (where my dad was injured)... Evil or Very Mad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Obviously you have no idea of the reasons behind the original creators' choosing of the name, and the decision to change it for Western audiences. It's close in effect to a German animation naming a space ship to defend the earth the Aryan, or Goebbels or the Himmler. That would go over really well.

I'm aware of the reasoning, and it's actually an important part of the makeup of the show and its emotions. Nishizaki and Matsumoto's prevalent theme of "What happens to the defeated?" and the weariness of people who are losing a war is ever present in the Yamato story.

I'm still unmoved by any reasoning behind changing names. You either call it by its name or don't license the product. The English version must closely reflect its Japanese original. The show is called Space Battleship Yamato. Perhaps World War II veterans that are interested in Japanese animation could instead watch another show if they're offended. Dramatic name changes at this stage in domestic releases for anime are almost entirely unheard of, and with good reason.

I'm completely uninterested in the politicking behind the names in the series. The ship is the Yamato. That's been the name of the ship since the first TV series and that's what this new series is retelling, with the same name. If you're offended by it, watch something else.

If they have to change the name of the ship to protect precious sensibilities, they shouldn't bring the show here at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
... You either call it by its name or don't license the product. The English version must closely reflect its Japanese original...

As long as you are the CEO, then you can dictate this, but last time i checked, you weren't.

penguintruth wrote:
...I'm completely uninterested in the politicking behind the names in the series... ...If you're offended by it, watch something else....

Exactly when and where did I state that I was offended? My main requirement is that it be in English before I buy it.

penguintruth wrote:
...If they have to change the name of the ship to protect precious sensibilities, they shouldn't bring the show here at all.

That is your opinion and we all know what value opinions have.

And BTW, an Iowa class BB with it's improved fire control, projectiles, rate of fire and armour design would have trounced a Yamato class BB in a 1 on 1, and that's no opinion.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
That's completely f***ing irrelevant. The ship has always been intended to be the Yamato. Calling it anything else would be erroneous. There's no reason in this day and age to change the name.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
You don't get it so we'll leave it at that.

And your unwarranted use of profanity merely accentuates your immaturity. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
There is no "getting it" to do. There's no reason to change the name of the ship or the show. That's a long outdated practice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7