• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special - Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I first got into anime when I bought a VHS copy of Akira back in 1992, but I didn't start seriously collecting and watching a lot until late 2003, so this brought back some memories...
Sometimes even when I realize something must be true logically, it helps to have it proven, and that is what Happy Lesson did for me. Back then I had no access to fansubs and nobody in my area rented anime so all I saw was what I bought or what was on Cartoon Network, so when I bought my first NewType USA and there was a free episode of anime on the DVD I was excited. I knew that, logically, not all anime was wonderful but I had managed to avoid seeing anything really bad until then, but then I watched episode 1 of Happy Lesson and, even with my limited knowledge, realized it was worthless. I didn't hate it as much as Mike Toole did, but then he had to watch 5 episodes of it. Smile
2004 was the year I started buying singles of TV shows (initially I only bought movies & one-shot OVAs); it was Kiddy Grade that made me swear never to do it again, not because I didn't like the show, but because a)I had to wait so long between discs and b)the cost.
I bought the complete collection brick of Geneshaft around Xmas from Best Buy where I stood in line for about an hour, the only things I remember are that it had some cool-looking CGI spaceships and no likable characters that I can remember.
I'm looking forward to part 2.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast as ever. However, wasn't the audio quality a tick worse than before this time? By that I mean less bass and voice sometimes quite distant. But it's a nitpick.

The Haunted Junction DVD Box from Bandai was one of the first DVDs I bought. My very first anime DVD was CPMs old letterbox release of Project A-ko in early 2000. I specifially wanted that movie as my first DVD because I was (and still am) in love with this movie and allready out of sentimental value (Project A-ko was my very first VHS anime from Manga Video UK in the early nineties).

Justin, I have the original 3 inch single cd of the Lodoss war TV, too. It was one of the first single dvds of the old format I bought during my first trip in Japan, next to the opening theme of Kare Kano. I never came around to see the series but hearing you two saying harsh things about it, I don't regret it.

Ikuhara, eh? .... In mai 2000 he was at the animation festival in Annecy France because his Utena movie was nominated in the long feature category; the movie didn't win at the end however (no movie won because the Jury though none of the nominated movies deserved to win Confused)

Interesting to hear that there were problems in licensing DNA2 because of politics from Shueisha. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I remember that the japanese Laserdiscs of DNA2 were considerably more expensive than Laserdiscs of other tv series...

Alien 9 is a personal love story of mine. I started to read the manga in 2001, wrote a review about it and was therefore very excited after hearing the news that an OAV series was going to be produced. In Japan I regularly went to rent anime in video rentals, a copy of the latest Alien9 installment was one of the things I was looking for the most. The first thing I remember about the OAV was this weird but cute opening theme, a total contrast to the dark side of the show or the moodish ending song (Naru Taru opening topped that "wtf?"-moment one year later, though). The other memorable thing of the OAVs was the slick look of the digital ink & paint. Too bad such OAVs aren't produced in Japan anymore.

Junkers come here.... What a coincidence: Just two days ago I gave my dvd copy to a friend of mine who is interested in buying the tv rights for german speaking countries. We talked about the ugly covert art too Laughing

Don't talk bad about Grrl Power! Anime smile + sweatdrop
The animation of the nute girl with the sign language was remarkably well done. Too bad the character designs were completely different from the manga of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
As someone who became an active fan right before things started to really collapse (2005ish) it was really interesting to listen to the podcast. Most of my anime friends became fans around that time too so it was nice to get insight into how the industry was back then from a podcast instead of reading really old articles Very Happy

Man my heart almost broke when they started talking about the T.M. Revolution and Tamaki Nami shows being empty, I can't imagine what it must've been like! I'm a fan of both of their music, hearing about the concerts was really stunning!

Without Azumanga Daioh I probably wouldn't have become an anime fanatic as fast I did. It is still one of my most favourite series evar.

Great podcast! Can't wait till the next one!
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
I wish someone would rescue Record of Lodoss War(OAV and TV), but that probably won't happen Crying or Very sad ......Oh, and I enjoyed part one of this podcast.
Justp94

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
Marmalade Boy isn't just a girl anime lol... Im a boy and i loved it Very Happy... got annoying at some points but it was still pretty good..

P.S. LOL 20 Ogre with 3 foot wooden penis rapes a girl Very Happy Very Funny...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5