• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quoss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:22 pm Reply with quote
As a big yuri fan/lesbian, the Hakari/Karane scene nailed this series home for me. OTL Not immediately, but it made me go read up to this time in the manga searching for the answer to: Are they dating each other or isn't it just Rentarou? And that still seemed vague, though i did read a little ahead and seemed to find the answer there? So anyway, for the present moment without spoiling ahead... their relationship is cute. even up to this point in the manga and thinking back on the scenes in the anime, ah, they really have gotten close, haven't they... that's nice. TuT

Not anticipating it to be focused on, Rentarou is of course the premier attraction, but the little moments (And unexpected big moments like in this ep.) are def a draw.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:21 am Reply with quote
I love how in a kissing zombie apocalypse we got the girls and Rentaro taking care of Shizuka, Karane and Hakari being a great team with undeniable Yuri chemistry, the vice-principal being a possibly eldrich being posing as a human, jokes and references galore, mature Kusuri, and plenty and plenty of passionate kisses.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Bertrandou wrote:
It's hanabatake, and translate to flowers field. It is used to refer to someone who is too optimistic or too easygoing and overtly pacifist, so much that people wonder if inside that person brain are filled with beautiful and serene mirage like field of flowers.

Ooh, I see, I see. Interesting.
Apparently in Spy Classroom it's hanazono for Lily's codename but that could be more because her name is Lily... I'm not sure.
I know the pun for Hakari's mother's first name but Hakari and their surname is unclear to me (and the fandom page doesn't seem to have much idea either).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:50 pm Reply with quote
As of episode 9, I think my spoiler text on page 2 is okay to read, as its subject has been clearly established by now.

Shay Guy wrote:
But honestly, my favorite thing about Shizuka isn't even the neurodivergent vibes… spoiler[it's the fact that she gets some of the BEST slapstick material] (later-this-season material, no plot points).

Also, it's pretty impressive that she was able to hang on to the towel and use her text-to-speech at the same time.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Rentaro Family is representing! No Harem works as well together and looks out for each other and is as open in their love!

I love how Shizuka gets into such hijinks off-screen and is getting snarkier and snarkier with her dialogue.

Gorilla gang boss and her cute boyfriend!

I also love how Kusuri's outfits always look cute on a loli but sexy in her older form.

I was hoping we'd see all the girls in wedding dresses, but Hakari needed this moment...even if it lead to heartbreak.

Sumippe as Hahari was not what I was expecting, but she made quite the anime entrance. Can't wait for them to free Hakari!
elior1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
As of episode 9, I think my spoiler text on page 2 is okay to read, as its subject has been clearly established by now.

Shay Guy wrote:
But honestly, my favorite thing about Shizuka isn't even the neurodivergent vibes… spoiler[it's the fact that she gets some of the BEST slapstick material] (later-this-season material, no plot points).

Also, it's pretty impressive that she was able to hang on to the towel and use her text-to-speech at the same time.
the big surprise was that sumire was hahari VA
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
Just in case somebody misunderstood, yuu kun has not been bullied in the relationship, in the manga we even witnessed the zing.
Bertrandou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:04 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Bertrandou wrote:
It's hanabatake, and translate to flowers field. It is used to refer to someone who is too optimistic or too easygoing and overtly pacifist, so much that people wonder if inside that person brain are filled with beautiful and serene mirage like field of flowers.

Ooh, I see, I see. Interesting.
Apparently in Spy Classroom it's hanazono for Lily's codename but that could be more because her name is Lily... I'm not sure.
I know the pun for Hakari's mother's first name but Hakari and their surname is unclear to me (and the fandom page doesn't seem to have much idea either).

Hanazono and Hanabatake differences is in the technica size, the zono or sono translate to garden like in household which is small, while batake or hatake translate to field like in a farm or in alpine which is larger.

My interpretation for Hanazono would refer to their upbringing. A garden flower can refer to a small community of female secluded from norms. They are prim and from proper background, and often, do not know much about male, to the point that they can either be having tropes like phobia/hatred/delusional. Hakari definitely fit the delusional type, as she has superficial knowledges yet never had any experience on any of it.

So her name would be the pun of her outward seiso? appearance with pervert and scheming personality.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 9 and 10 have felt really slow paced to me. They should be adapting more content per episode, hitting us with jokes at a more rapid fire clip.
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:57 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
Episodes 9 and 10 have felt really slow paced to me. They should be adapting more content per episode, hitting us with jokes at a more rapid fire clip.
actully the place where they stopped episode 10 was no surprise since it was the perfect place to leave as cliffhanger. besides episode 10 had enough jokes with tom cruise and mission impossible
Gnarth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:02 am Reply with quote
Best episode since the second one. They didn't have to go the absolute insanity route, but if you do, you better fully commit. I still can't stand Shizuka, but she makes much more sense now that the shark has been entirely jumped, and I'm fine with her looking and sounding like a little kid, even though at this point they could've just made her an actual child (I guess that's going to come later).

I had already liked the yuri moment a couple of episodes back, but now add the "family" concept established recently as well as an actual family bond between two of the harem girls and even an age gap: you get an absolutely insane, delightfully unhinged, borderline illegal, vaguely incestuous mess of a massive polygamous relationship, and I'm a big fan. I'm so back on board.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:56 pm Reply with quote
That moment. That one moment.

I know a lot of people saw it coming, even in the manga. I wasn't one of them. So when I went to the final page of the chapter and saw that splash panel, it was pretty much the perfect twist. A jaw-dropper in its own right, realizing that yes, they were going there. And at the same time, it felt inevitable in retrospect. Of course they would go there. Of course that's how this series would resolve this conflict. It's what Hyakkano is.

(And then I looked back and realized, oh yeah, that's the other reason they gave Hahari that absurd backstory -- to establish that she's still in her 20s and technically a virgin. Not that it's clear to me why she went for artificial insemination on the Watsonian level. "Well, I wanted to have his baby the old-fashioned way, but Shueisha never would've let me, even in a flashback.")

Gnarth wrote:
I still can't stand Shizuka, but she makes much more sense now that the shark has been entirely jumped, and I'm fine with her looking and sounding like a little kid, even though at this point they could've just made her an actual child (I guess that's going to come later).

I have to wonder how much of reading her as a child differs by culture -- I used to know one guy on Twitter who would occasionally say that Westerners tend to underestimate ages of Asian characters. His go-to example was Shuten-douji Fategrandorder, who's purportedly modeled after her very-much-an-adult VA, Aoi Yuuki.

I'm not sure how much credibility I want to put in that claim, mind you, given that the Bill-Watkins-esque opposite direction is just as common. See: Phantom Blood. And in this show's case, the fact that Nano and Shizuka are the same age.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised Nicholas didn't have any criticism for the author making Hahari a virgin, since female love interests aren't allowed to be "used goods" in Japan.
freebird1994

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand how NOW would be the moment people would jump ship on this series. Like we have to get to 100 DIFFERENT GIRLFRIENDS. We are going to have to exhaust every single trope in the book, as well as mix and mash tropes to reach even half that number. Honestly the only ones that could be shocked we have hit MILF at number 6 has probably no exposure to the harem genre.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I have to wonder how much of reading her as a child differs by culture -- I used to know one guy on Twitter who would occasionally say that Westerners tend to underestimate ages of Asian characters. His go-to example was Shuten-douji Fategrandorder, who's purportedly modeled after her very-much-an-adult VA, Aoi Yuuki.

I don't think that cultural issue has really a place here, at least for me. The characters are not actual people but drawings, which makes their ethnicities fundamentally different than ours. The thing here is simply that Shizuka looks and acts like a child: her body is very similar to Kusuri's child form and if you saw her in a primary school you wouldn't notice anything wrong; her personality, actions and reactions are extremely childish and she's taken care of by the rest of the cast as if she was a little sister or even daughter. This is unrelated with her mental disorders and social anxiety issues, she simply does not look like a teenage girl at all, and a quick comparison with all the others girls makes it plain obvious. It's something that irks me a bit because she's supposed to be a romantic interest but acts and is treated very differently; as I said, she could've been an actual child at this point of insanity. But it's fine, if we're getting to 100 girls I can't expect to like them all.

I do want to thank both of you for clearing up my confusion about Hahari's backstory. I didn't really get the need for it apart from adding to the absurdity, but now I see it and well... I don't really like it honestly. It ties into that tired harem trope of "purity" that is just chlidish and anachronistic, and I'd like this show to stand higher than that and possibly address the sex-related issues with some even more unhinged humor and maybe some orgy jokes. But sadly from this and the "beach" episode it's clearly embracing it with pride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6