• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams First Attack on Titan Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll never get what people see in this series. I thought it was overhyped and most of the main characters are lame, save for Mikasa. Most of the supporting cast are more interesting.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:

There are a lot of theories floating around as to what language the AoT characters are speaking. German seems to be the popular choice,

We wouldn't mind if they start speaking German. Smile

Although generally, there's some things that German isn't suited for. For instance, I consider German (and English as well since it's Germanic) to be a "strong" language, which high pitch speaking isn't suited for. High pitches don't sound good in strong language.

willag wrote:

Someone needs to make an Attack on Titan AMV to Usher's OMG song.

Even better, if someone made a MAD using 3D character models of some of the AoT characters dancing to Dance Central 3's version of OMG. Laughing

We could never get those things perfect. Laughing

That reminds us, why hasn't anyone turned Dance Central into Hatsune Miku yet? There's already 3D moves and music. That'd get a lot of people fit, not to mention maybe learn some stuff (like better rhythm). Cool
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
willag wrote:

Someone needs to make an Attack on Titan AMV to Usher's OMG song.

Even better, if someone made a MAD using 3D character models of some of the AoT characters dancing to Dance Central 3's version of OMG. Laughing

We could never get those things perfect. Laughing

Wait, wait. I got it. Genius idea here.

Do Usher's OMG song from the POV of the Titans, and make an AMV of it.

'Cause you just know that some of these lyrics are exactly what they're thinking.

Baby, let me love you down
There's so many ways to love you
Baby, I can break you down
There's so many ways to love you

I fell in love with shawty when I seen her on the dance floor
She was dancin' sexy, p-p-poppin', droppin', droppin' low
Never, ever has a lady hit me on the first sight
This was something special, this was just like dynamite

C'mon, tell me you can't visualize this. During the "there's so many ways to love you" and "baby, I can break you down" lines show them chomping down on people. Like Eren's mother.

And then "shawty" is obviously Mikasa with her sweet OMG moves. And then for the dynamite verse, have the people on top of the walls shooting down at the Titans.

You don't even have to do an AMV of the entire song. The length of Dance Central 3's version is just fine. Make it, take it to an AMV contest, and be sure to win.

This song was made as a way for Titans to express their love for humanity.

If I ever get enough free time, I may even do this myself (having already attempted some AMVs). But I don't see that happening at any point soon. So if anyone does decide to roll with this idea... be sure to contact me, pronto. So that I can watch. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soliia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked this clip, but I'm not really digging the others. Probably because I'm used to the original voices.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:
*snip*

Ooh, you missed my edit--actually, I was agreeing with you in the first place. My bad. Embarassed
HybridMedia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
You know what? Judging from all the dub clips shown so far, they sounds fine but yet I can't judge the dub in full because I haven't seen yet it.

And the fudge do you mean Americanized?

Yeah, it's an English dub but there isn't much that screams Japanese in the original aside from the voice acting in the original language.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This clip was pretty decent. The one everyone else was mentioning that I found was in fact pretty Sad to say the least.
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
I'll never get what people see in this series. I thought it was overhyped and most of the main characters are lame, save for Mikasa. Most of the supporting cast are more interesting.

Eren isn't bad enough to ruin anything in the show but he's a very typical main character, not much if anything special about him. Same can be said for quite a few of the characters in the series, but personally AoT's concept feels fairly fresh to me, yeah we've seen end of the world type stuff before but AoT brings it to you in a way where you really feel the character's desperation, hopelessness and such when things are bad and vice versa when there's reason to hope. That, and the great animation and action scenes are what I dig about it. Not the greatest anime, but pretty entertaining and exciting.

Dub sounds great so far. Very much looking forward to this in English, felt like it's an anime that might work better in English.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Levi will take some getting used to, but overall, I'm happy with how things are turning out.

For the record, I don't care much for Eren, either. He's not an awful main character or anything, but I don't feel particularly drawn to him. It doesn't help that I see him as the type to use "sheeple" in his common vernacular, at least before he graduated military training.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Chaos Salad wrote:
*snip*

Ooh, you missed my edit--actually, I was agreeing with you in the first place. My bad. Embarassed

Sorry for missing your edit! I got you, no worries!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
Levi sounds perfectly fine to me. But that could also be my bias speaking since I'm actually friends with the voice actor.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:
People seem to be griping about "Omnidirectional Mobility Gear" but that's pretty trivial.

My only gripe with that is using the whole name outside the introduction to the gear at training camp. That's a helluva mouthful to say (seems like it would take longer/more lip flap than the Japanese term, which I don't know), and it sounds awkward to spit all that out during a fast-moving battle sequence, when "Engage your mobility gear," would get the point across. Obviously saying OMG would always break the immersion in any scene, but they could shorten it to ODM gear or something. Any military loves it some acronyms.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
This is pretty good.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
The Dub sounds decent. They took the shota right out of Armin. Levi sounds good. Mikasa sounds good.

Its the funimation addition of awful music and ad-libbing that gets to me.

The Japanese audio usually has an ambient tone to most series, building emotion and atmosphere. Funimation just seems to turn on the A.D.D. mode when they dub these shows.

How many boxsets will they get out of this 25 ep series, eh?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
The people complaining about Omni-Directional Gear are acting like this is blasphemy on the level Nami's mother's poor death-edit job in the 4Kids dub of "One Piece." You might as well be complaining that the Kage Bunshin Jutsu was called the Shadow Clone Jutsu or the Genki Dama being called the Spirit Bomb.

Omni-Directional better defines the item because it goes in multiple directions. It's the same thing, just worded differently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5