• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Wizards & Warriors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcaliff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't think there's been any English language releases of Shurato, but that's another Eastern mysticism-based fantasy rather than swords and sorcery D&D western-style fantasy.

Akazukin Chacha is a comedic fantasy that I think fits the criteria and hasn't been released here either, which is a shame as it's a really cute TV and OVA series. Also I don't think Mahojin Guruguru was released here. And the short 3-episode OVA Toki no Daichi is a classic-style western fantasy that hasn't been released in English. There was also a 2 episode OVA called Villgust that I remember seeing long ago - don't know if that ever got released in English either.

It's a shame that no one picked up Ryu Knight during the licensing blitz of the late 90's-2000's. I found the TV series to be very amusing and it turned into one of my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Utawarerumono is not fantasy., its spoiler[sci-fi/mecha].
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Its mostly fantasy though.

Same situation with SutePri.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I love high fantasy. There's something to be said about a works that can create such a detailed world to explore.
And I refuse to watch Guin Saga, because it trips my furry sensors. I may be biased, but I try to be honest about it.

Well, I can't say a whole lot that would change your mind, but it's only the MC's head (he's got a human man's body otherwise) and it is a curse. There aren't any talking animal people at all in the series, just humans. If you like detailed worlds, complex politics, and awesome characters, I think you'll like this series. Like Mike said, though, it starts slow but gets better as you go along.
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Its mostly fantasy though.

Same situation with SutePri.

Not really, there's no magic and most parts feel like watching a Japanese period piece. Not to say that it isn't good, but it's not "wizards and warriors" in the D&D sense of the term. Like I don't think people would consider Sengoku Basara or Inuyasha really to be the kind of fantasy we are discussing here.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Not really, there's no magic

Yeah, there is. The angel race specializes in magic
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Record of Lodoss War OVA and Vision Of Escaflowne ten years ago on TV. But since I saw a lot of good fantasy later, I decided against re-watching it ever again. It would just spoil my good memories. Besides, I was greatly disappointed by Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, whose slow pace was horrible and made the whole TV series unwatchable. The opening is the best part of this series.

Slayers got me into anime, mainly because I liked Xellos and the idea of for the world itself with its magic and fictional races.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Not really, there's no magic

Yeah, there is. The angel race specializes in magic

I'm not going to argue this to death, it is eastern fantasy (at best) notwithstanding the last few episodes. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
A column devoted to fantasy anime and not a single mention of Fushigi Yuugi?! That was one of my first fantasy series and it's still one of my favourites (the manga more than the anime)
It's a column devoted to fantasy anime inspired by Western fantasy sources, and FY is very much an Eastern fantasy.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Slayers is one of my favorites, I own every season, all the OVAs and all the movies. We can debate sub vs dub until the Mayan Apocalypse, but there is no excuse to ever watch Slayers dubbed. Hayashibara Megumi's role as Lina is one of the single best VA performances ever.

I have only watched a little bit of the subtitled versions of Slayers, but I am actually quite pleased with Lisa Ortiz's rendition of Lina Inverse in the dub. I think she has done an outstanding job of making the character her own. She has just the right mixture of boisterous, loud/foul-mouthed energy and yet still manages to pull off the heart of gold moments in the character's development flawlessly. To be honest, after years of watching the show dubbed I really can't even imagine anyone else in the role. I thought the whole cast was dubbed well though. Veronica Taylor is spot on as Amelia, and I was kind of amazed when I first realized she also voiced Ash from Pokemon, given the drastic differences in the voices of those two characters.

I watched Lodoss War a while back. Its alright, but from what I remember it was quite slow paced and there wasn't as much battling and wizardry as I would have expected in a show like that. I remember it being more focused on the journey rather than the action, but my memory might be off. I'll have to watch it again.

Quote:
Guin Saga, because it trips my furry sensors. I may be biased, but I try to be honest about it.

Guin Saga has nothing to do with anything furry. It's a classic swords and sorcery epic. The fact that the main character has a leopard head only adds to the mystique but at least in the anime that's about all it does.

p.s. I always find it funny when people say something scares them because of some furry sensor or something. Half of anime these days is cat girls and dog people, or somehow involves references to the same. It seems to me to be more about interest in fantastical concepts - look at the popularity of Inuyasha and Spice and Wolf. I don't find those shows particularly scary.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
prabb wrote:
Not the second one.

Then you totally have the wrong idea about it. A guy with an animal head doesn't qualify as furry.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about Record of Lodoss War ... and we all forget to mention Legend of Crystania Laughing

Of course we all wanted to forget that ever existed, and amazingly, fandom almost succeeded, if it weren't for some morally objectionable historian-type bringing things up like this Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4