• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I've recently read about a speculation that spoiler[the way that Eri is Aerial, so's Suletta is Lfrith, so in short they've had a body switch]. The latest episode doesn't really disprove that and would explain a lot of oddities about Suletta, how is she spoiler[not acting quite human and not exactly her age, if she's basically an AI in a human's - a.k.a. Eri - body, who's still out to learn about the world, and how can she be so easily commanded by Prospera ], I would find it quite believable, especially since data storms exist, and we don't really know exactly how do they work exactly at this point yet, but it might have something to do with it.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Cour 2.... Finally they are revealing the twist about Eri. I hope we see a big change in Suletta's characterization considering the way she smashed a guy in season 1's finale and barely cared about it.

Honestly I don't know what was the point of putting Guel into the series. I thought Sunrise hated Shinn Asuka, but Guel was completely destroyed in nearly most of his scenes with season 1's finale giving him the cruelest fate he could ever had.

Meanwhile, Elan's actor was probably told by the director to be as horrible as possible considering he keeps trying to make advances at Suletta and if I recall he made it three times.

The other characters besides Suletta's mom and Miroine don't give me any impression though. The death flag from the second episode was so obvious that it felt like the writers wanted to imitate Kamille's tragedy from Zeta Gundam but in a single episode rather than developing the only other character who appeared to be in a proper relationship.

Still, looking forward more to whatever is Suletta's mother planning to do with her daughters
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:01 pm Reply with quote
So in other words, G-Witch is turning into Mobile Suit Evangelion?

(Really, I can't look at Prospera anymore without thinking of Gendo Ikari.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:16 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I'm shocked not by Sophie's eventual death scene, but how they killed her off this early in this episode and not say around episode 15 or so. I liked her bratty presence around Suletta and wished a few more episodes of her antics. Then again, I've noticed so far how this show has been very lean and efficient in telling its story. At least we can put to rest for now for Eri and Aerial connection. Now's the question about where it all leads to.

On another note, I really liked the moment when Sophie started ranting how Suletta got a better life than her, she also acknowledged Suletta's relationship with Miorine. She essentially taunted Suletta if she's willing to kill for Miorine, and then threatened Miorine so she can have Suletta all for herself (granted it was something else, but I digress). It's the moment that still blows my mind to have this play out in a Gundam show where there are probably similar moments like that found in other yuri titles.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Plot twist: all the G-bits are separate personalities and they all take turns being "Suletta".

Well, probably not, but it is possible that some of the times we've seen Suletta it hasn't actually been her driving her body.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t started watching this season.. but I’m getting nervous reading the comments. I really loved the first season, especially the finale
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
We're due a mother & daughters confrontation at some point.

I expect that confrontation to happen nearer the end of the series with Suletta wrestling with it until then. It seemed like Sophie planted the seeds of doubt in Suletta when she asked why Aerial was so heavily armed if it wasn't intended for war. It will be nice to see Suletta break away from her mother's influence.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:23 am Reply with quote
I feel a bit cheated about the Suletta-Aerial's mystery because spoiler[apparently the fact that Prospera had another daughter wasn't a mystery at all for some people. They simply didn't bothered to ask "Oh, Suletta is nice, but what about Eri?"].
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:39 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I feel a bit cheated about the Suletta-Aerial's mystery because spoiler[apparently the fact that Prospera had another daughter wasn't a mystery at all for some people. They simply didn't bothered to ask "Oh, Suletta is nice, but what about Eri?"].

Being an awful parent is just a given in this universe...
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:11 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Consider how many people in the cast would know about Eri, though. The only people who are still around in the present timeline who would know about her are Delling and Belmeria. How much Delling is aware of anything Prospera's been up to is nebulous, but Belmeria didn't even know anyone else from Vanadis had survived until Suletta and Aerial showed up out of the blue. Since then she's had minimal interactions Prospera and no reason or chance to bring it up until she got a look at the inexplicable Permet scores from Aerial.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Consider how many people in the cast would know about Eri, though. The only people who are still around in the present timeline who would know about her are Delling and Belmeria. How much Delling is aware of anything Prospera's been up to is nebulous, but Belmeria didn't even know anyone else from Vanadis had survived until Suletta and Aerial showed up out of the blue. Since then she's had minimal interactions Prospera and no reason or chance to bring it up until she got a look at the inexplicable Permet scores from Aerial.

Agreed, I don't think it's that surprising that it hasn't really come up. Belmeria is the only person who has any chance of putting the pieces together. I guess since she's been working with Suletta, you might have expected her ask after her sister at some point, just in casual conversation. But Suletta doesn't seem to know she existed. It'd be reasonable for Bel to assume she'd died in the Vanadis Incident and decide not to mention it. (I guess in some ways, Eri did die then). It's only when trying to explain the mystery of Aerial that it occurs to her there might be another explanation.

I think the implication is Delling at least knows Prospera = Elnora, and he must realise Suletta is not the daughter she had at the time of the Vanadis Incident (assuming he cared enough to know anything about the people whose deaths he ordered). How much he cares to think beyond that isn't clear at all, he's not exactly communicative.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:35 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
I've recently read about a speculation that spoiler[the way that Eri is Aerial, so's Suletta is Lfrith, so in short they've had a body switch].

It's possible, but seems a little wacky and unnecessary. Given what we saw this episode, it seems like Suletta's strange personality and sometimes erratic behavior are explained by the fact that every time she pilots her mecha, she's having a mind-meld with the techno-ghost murder-baby that lives in its hard drive (who is also her biological sister, if the word "biological" even makes sense here).

Whether or not Eri(al) is being directly controlled by Prospera isn't clear, though allowing Suletta to get brainwashed by it seems to be part of her plan, whatever that is. There's a pretty big gap between the colony getting invaded in the pilot episode and her deciding to use her own daughter(s) in a transhumanism experiment, supposedly as part of a project run by the person who launched the invasion and killed her husband... quite a lot of unanswered questions. But we may find out more relatively soon, since we've hit full-throttle on the drama and violence only two episodes into the season.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:14 am Reply with quote
I was surprised by Prospera's admittance as to Aerial's origins. spoiler[What kind of mother would use their own child to make into a mobile suit? That explains how Suletta's unaffected by the Permet Effect from piloting a Gundam. It also makes sense as to who speaks to Suletta when she's piloting Aerial.]

I've makred the rest of my comment as spoiler, just in case anybody reads this.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

It's possible, but seems a little wacky and unnecessary. Given what we saw this episode, it seems like Suletta's strange personality and sometimes erratic behavior are explained by the fact that every time she pilots her mecha, she's having a mind-meld with the techno-ghost murder-baby that lives in its hard drive (who is also her biological sister, if the word "biological" even makes sense here).

I'd agree, and I certainly think there's something to the idea that the permet link affects Suletta's personality, but even that isn't really necessary. I'd make two further observations:

Suletta is sensitive and insecure, Prospera wants her that way, and she's socially inexperienced due to her life on Mercury. But Aerial has always been her place of safety, and competence. It's where she's always been valued by others. She can find confidence in that chair that doesn't come easily elsewhere. (I'd refer anyone who thinks Suletta can't just naturally behave differently when piloting to: people who drive cars)

Also, the behaviour of Aerial the mobile suit must be distinguished from those of Suletta it's pilot, as we see this week when Aerial acts against her wishes. Quite how the balance between them works in action isn't entirely clear, but the combat ruthlessness doesn't need to involve Suletta at all. Clearly she's not uninvolved, but every combat action is a collaboration between two different minds. Or possibly three if the Lfrith AI is still there and separate from Eri.

kotomikun wrote:
Whether or not Eri(al) is being directly controlled by Prospera isn't clear, though allowing Suletta to get brainwashed by it seems to be part of her plan, whatever that is. There's a pretty big gap between the colony getting invaded in the pilot episode and her deciding to use her own daughter(s) in a transhumanism experiment, supposedly as part of a project run by the person who launched the invasion and killed her husband... quite a lot of unanswered questions. But we may find out more relatively soon, since we've hit full-throttle on the drama and violence only two episodes into the season.

I don't see any evidence that Prospera has any direct control over Aerial. The control she does have is similar to that she exerts over Suletta I think, entirely psychological.

The timeline has plenty of gaps. There is about 8 years between E0 and Cradle World, and probably 10 between E0 and Nortette's death. That's more than time enough for Elnora to have tried several things before arriving at her current madness. It's time for Quiet Zero to have been Nortette's idea, the cause of her death or Delling's response to it. So many questions!
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting to see one of the students killed, but probably would have had more weight if it was one of the characters that actually had their name on screen...

Guess that confirms the Eri != Suletta theories. Now we just need to find out if it was an accident or not. Presumably if it was an accident, that could explain Prospera's current personality.

Hmm, I wonder if Suletta and Eri have the same father...

Key wrote:
So in other words, G-Witch is turning into Mobile Suit Evangelion?

(Really, I can't look at Prospera anymore without thinking of Gendo Ikari.)

Apt comparison. Maybe she'll do the hand thing at some point Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 43