• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Synecdoche's Plus-Sized Elf Manga Gets TV Anime This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:07 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
As an additional note, massage therapy for supposed weight loss is a huge industry in Japan. Very commonplace. (I personally don’t think it works, though I’ve never been)

It's also popular over here. Apparently the idea is moving the fat out of your body by massaging. As a part of a health/luxury treatment which doesn't actually does anything buy it feels good.

Also, in Spain this series is called "Elf on Diet" (translated)
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:30 am Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
Blame whoever went for the english title. The original japanese title never mentions "plus size"

Yep, the title translates to "Ms. Elf Can't Lose Weight."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:44 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ Arale Kurashiki - So Seven Seas description of a manga it is distributing is incorrect?

This is part of the kink. The main character is ostensibly trying to lose weight, but that is not going to happen, because the artist would never draw that. Which is why every single cover is about her eating fries and her fat ass, which are the actual subjects of the work.

It's just surprising to me this needs explaining when there are images in the article.

What's surprising to me is how apparently unaware you are of why somebody might find this title objectionable. You actually think that because the main character doesn't actually lose weight that that removes any objection? Wow. Just... wow.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What's surprising to me is how apparently unaware you are of why somebody might find this title objectionable. You actually think that because the main character doesn't actually lose weight that that removes any objection? Wow. Just... wow.

That's a really weird thing to say to me. The only thing I was saying was that it's crazy to me that people don't instantly get it's fetish art that has no interest in weight loss. I didn't say anything about whether it was good or bad - I'm not sure what conversation you think you're having with me that warrants this kind of exaggerated clapback "oh, you actually think this?" response.

Though there is stuff to be said about how kink and sexuality does often rely on playing with societal attitudes and assumptions for the sake of perverting them (which is why "pervert" has the meaning it does now), but that's surely not a conversation I'd attempt to have with the ANN comments section...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:40 am Reply with quote
@ Arale Kurashiki - it's true that we seem to be talking past each other. I feel like I'm starting to understand what your point is and it's got nothing to do with mine. Given that, it's kind of a shame you initiated this exchange by quoting me and giving a response to that quote which normally is a sign that somebody is trying engage with what I'm saying.
CelticMutt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
It really sucks that every single place that carried the digital editions in English no longer carry it.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:16 am Reply with quote
I thought what you were saying was that "a story about a woman losing weight" is an old-fashioned idea, so I was replying to you to say, I'm surprised someone is saying this because this is clearly not a story about losing weight.

I was engaging with what you literally said, but I maybe didn't know what you meant - I had no idea there was a moral argument here, which is also something I could engage with, but the internet has in the past given me a lot of reasons to avoid doing so.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
I'm just here to see a sexy chubby elf being cute and it's fine for a show to just be that. I see no problem here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I'm just here to see a sexy chubby elf being cute and it's fine for a show to just be that. I see no problem here.

If we lived in a world where body dysmorphism wasn't a thing, I'd agree with you. Unfortunately, dangerous eating disorders are a thing and content like this doesn't strike me as very helpful. And please don't bring up, "but the main character doesn't care/isn't bothered about her appearance!" I lump that in as the same species of argument about sexualizing a female character who looks 10-years-old and saying, "but she's actually a 1,000 year old vampire, so it's not lolicon!"
scanlines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah! Zaftig fans will be eating good this year, no pun intended.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And please don't bring up, "but the main character doesn't care/isn't bothered about her appearance!"

Ok wait, now I actually do have to participate in such a conversation: a sexy fat character who's happily fat is itself objectionable to you, in a way rhetorically comparable to lolicon????? I think I need to know exactly what your stance is on this, in detail - and keeping in mind that happily fat women exist in real life and are able to read discourse posts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Ok wait, now I actually do have to participate in such a conversation: a sexy fat character who's happily fat is itself objectionable to you, in a way rhetorically comparable to lolicon????? I think I need to know exactly what your stance is on this, in detail - and keeping in mind that happily fat women exist in real life and are able to read discourse posts.

If the MC has a positive body image of herself, of course that's not objectionable to me. What it is, is irrelevant to my wariness of a premise that revolves around weight. Naturally, if she doesn't feel pressured to change her body shape to conform to societal expectations then that is better than if she did feel pressure, but it still doesn't alleviate my personal unease that some people might watch this and if they already have some discomfort around their own body size, it may make them feel even worse. Because sometimes people in that situation end up doing real damage to themselves, physically and mentally.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I guess all I can say to that is, with respect, you might be considering people too abstractly. Without revealing personal details, I am someone who has been triggered about my body by anime before (the specifics are different) - but I wouldn't go deliberately seek out ecchi anime that's playing on my triggers (unless I was ready to try and 'defang' them in my mind by experiencing them on my own terms in a low-stakes context, which is also a very real use for art, especially silly ecchi). The people you want to protect do have autonomy, and are active participants in both conversation and in their own lives. (It may be worth pointing out the author of this particular manga draws a self-portrait of themself every year, every time as a fat woman - interpret that as you will.)

That's a big topic, but it's one I hope more people will give some thought.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:14 am Reply with quote
@ Arale - nothing you wrote above eases my discomfort over this title in the slightest. I'm merely registering my own personal opinion. The only thing that will change that personal opinion is if I watch the show (which I intend to do if for no other reason out of morbid curiosiity) and decide for myself that the messaging - both intentional and unintentional - isn't as bad as I thought.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope to see an episode where miss Elf gets her belly button played with! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4